Best Game Soundtrack?

I must admit I'm siding with Mirror's Edge - the main theme is mega, the other music throughout is in turns beautiful and heart-pounding and there's been some good remix work on "Still Alive" such as this:

Edited by ChrisSteeleAteMyHamster

Silent Hill (whole series, pretty much) is a mixed bag for me. It's half really good and the other half is just weird as hell. I believe the soundtrack for "The Room" is probably the best.

Chrono Trigger has an amazing soundtrack.

Final Fantasy is pretty great as well. They recycle a lot of tracks which either breeds familiarity or contempt. This works in most cases, but if I hear another variation on that damned Chocobo song again...

This one is outside the box, but I always thought Super Mario World had some good music, especially the castle and underground themes.

Then there are the singular themes that are pretty classic... Legend of Zelda, Tetris.

Mega Man 2!

Diablo

Starcraft

Warcraft 2

Zelda: Ocarina of Time

Command and Conquer: Red Alert

Metroid (NES)

Megaman (NES)

Edited by Foppa

How has noone attempted to put up Fallout 3 yet? :P

And by the way. I DO want to set the world on fire.

I prefer the first two games, myself, though some of the tracks on the game aren't bad.

I prefer the first two games, myself, though some of the tracks on the game aren't bad.

Most people do. But I take the game for what they are. Fallout 3 is a sequel in name only for the most part. I love that VAT's system. Alot different than the point/click scheme from the first two. But I love the transition to FPS.

Sorry I strayed off topic.

I only wish the game had a few more tracks. It gets repetetive to hear the same 6 or some odd songs over and over. Especially after killing Three Dog.

:P

Most people do. But I take the game for what they are. Fallout 3 is a sequel in name only for the most part. I love that VAT's system. Alot different than the point/click scheme from the first two. But I love the transition to FPS.

Sorry I strayed off topic.

I only wish the game had a few more tracks. It gets repetetive to hear the same 6 or some odd songs over and over. Especially after killing Three Dog.

:P

...I meant in terms of soundtrack. :P

Obviously newer games have the quality edge with massive orchestral scores and surround sound, but in terms of recognisability and impact you have to look to the old school of gaming. Sure it may be essentially a MIDI track, but who doesn't know the Super Mario Bros. theme?

But I'm giving my vote to Doom. Just badass music for every level, barely a dud to be found, sets the theme and mood for the entire game and the E1M1 music just sets me right off.

EDIT: And I'm not sure about including games that just use licensed music rather than their own original music.

Edited by Scott McFly

The best part of any game's soundtrack is what it adds to the overall experience of the game, far as I'm concerned. In that category, Vice City wins hands down. Being able to fire up a game and sing along with some classic songs just made that game so much more than what it might have been with a more low-rent, GTAIII-style soundtrack.

I always throw this one into the miz whenever a topic like this is up, but a Gamecube game called Baten Kaitos has a fantastic Prog Rock soundtrack, along with some awesome melodic play. The fact that one of the boss themes (one of, there are about 6) is a heavy rock remix of the main battle theme is absolutely fantastic. I recommend people look it up. Now.