Newswipe with Charlie Brooker

therockbox

• 2 weeks later...

Watched 2 and 3 through the BBC iplayer and was amazed at the Oh Dearism documentary

It's kinda ironic considering all the recent news coverage about Hillsborough seems to be all about that very thing, something that we can't actually do anything about... but it's a good ol' Oh Dear story.

Yeah the Oh Dearism documentary was top top quality. Brilliant stuff.

The poems are a bit pointless but I guess he needs to fill out the time a bit and the story of news is much narrower than TV as a whole.

Newswipe just seems a bit bleaker to me than Screen.....Like news in general I guess.

Does anyone else get the feeling that Newswipe should just be a feature on Screenwipe? I mean it's really interesting, and there is some quality humour there, but it doesn't seem like it really needs half an hour. I reckon they should bump Screenwipe up to a forty-five minute edition, and have Newswipe be a 10-15 minute feature.

Sounds like a good idea. There were definitely some flat episodes in the last series of Screenwipe. This series seems like it has much more longevity because he can still talk about whatever's topical once he's got over his general complaints. I'm guessing that once he runs out of things like 'Oh Dearism' there won't be quite as much content, so between this and Screenwipe topics it'll make a good show.

EDIT: Really enjoyed this week's episode, particularly the bit with The Sting tugging himself off to the coverage of Obama's Beast :shifty:

Edited by -A-

• 9 months later...