Well, the American version of Life On Mars just ended....

GhostMachine

....and I'm so glad they didn't go with the same ending as the original version of the show. Would have sucked, since there's not going to be a sequel series.

The ending?

Sam was hugging Gene, who quoted the "I'm going to miss you most of all, Scarecrow" line from The Wizard of Oz when he suddenly woke up with some sort of robot bug on his face and it turned out he was actually an astronaut on a mission to Mars in the year 2035 - and the rest of the characters were actually the rest of the mission crew. Their ship's AI woke them up because they were close to landing. Something went wrong with Sam's suspended animation pod's dream program - they were in suspended animation for over 2 years - he was supposed to be a detective in 2008, but the program screwed up and put him 1973 with 2008 memories.

Oh, and the kicker? Gene Hunt = the mission leader.....and Sam's father!

(The characters in Sam's `dream' had the same personalities as the real astronauts, but their names were different. I wasn't paying attention to what their real names were during the end sequence.

Edited by GhostMachine

What a joke. I'm glad the original happened for an ending that both makes sense in the context of the show and was great from a story-telling perspective, and had several good themes and concepts. That ending sounds like a 12 year old came up with it. When I read it, I laughed out loud at how silly it is, which I assume, wasn't the intended response from the show's makers.

I haven't watched any of the US version but kudos to them for trying out a different ending to the UK.

Ten points for them trying a new ending, yes, but minus a million for it being that ending, which is asinine and seems to do nothing but underscore the American reputation for not understanding subtlety or intelligence in their television. NOT entirely my opinion, I hasten to add, America came up with Frasier which is glorious, but shit like this does not help the cause.

I haven't watched any of the US version but kudos to them for trying out a different ending to the UK.

Ten points for them trying a new ending, yes, but minus a million for it being that ending, which is asinine and seems to do nothing but underscore the American reputation for not understanding subtlety or intelligence in their television. NOT entirely my opinion, I hasten to add, America came up with Frasier which is glorious, but shit like this does not help the cause.

Personally I would have ended it with him waking up and actually being a monkey and it was just a monkey dream.

Personally I would have ended it with him waking up and actually being a monkey and it was just a monkey dream.

And then his monkey bride steps out of the shower?

....and I'm so glad they didn't go with the same ending as the original version of the show. Would have sucked, since there's not going to be a sequel series.

The ending?

Sam was hugging Gene, who quoted the "I'm going to miss you most of all, Scarecrow" line from The Wizard of Oz when he suddenly woke up with some sort of robot bug on his face and it turned out he was actually an astronaut on a mission to Mars in the year 2035 - and the rest of the characters were actually the rest of the mission crew. Their ship's AI woke them up because they were close to landing. Something went wrong with Sam's suspended animation pod's dream program - they were in suspended animation for over 2 years - he was supposed to be a detective in 2008, but the program screwed up and put him 1973 with 2008 memories.

Oh, and the kicker? Gene Hunt = the mission leader.....and Sam's father!

(The characters in Sam's `dream' had the same personalities as the real astronauts, but their names were different. I wasn't paying attention to what their real names were during the end sequence.

Having not watched this or any episode, I looked it up on wikipedia and apparently Gene Hunt's name turns out to be Major Tom...

I'd like to echo what most have said on here. Nice try at something different, but it's sounds beyond silly. Did this run for 1 series or 2?

I'd like to echo what most have said on here. Nice try at something different, but it's sounds beyond silly. Did this run for 1 series or 2?

The American version only ran 1 season, and only ended because it was cancelled. Funny thing is, it lasted one episode longer than the original.

Personally, I didn't like the ending much, but I'm still glad they didn't copy the ending of the original. (I only know how the original ended through Wikipedia)

Watch it. It works brilliantly. In fact, watch the entire Original series, it's fantastic.

This. This. This.

I'm starting to sound like an echo, but this. LoM has potentially one of the single best end of a series episodes ever.