The Rolling Stones

Guest Mr. Potato Head

Guest Mr. Potato Head

At some point, it was drilled into me that people who grew up in the 60s either liked the Beatles or the Stones.

My dad (who grew up in the 70s) considers the Stones his favourite band.

Yet EWB doesn't seem to like them at all, or at least it never comes up. Why is this?

My theory is that they haven't aged well. Certain Beatles songs could still sound fresh today, but the Stones (like Led Zeppelin) clearly have an 'old'-er tinge to their music.

I'm generally a huge blues fan, but for some reason the Stones just don't do it for me. When I'm making playlists, I usually skip over them altogether.

How about the rest of you? What do you think of Mick and co.?

My dad likes the Rolling Stones far more than the Beatles. I think he thinks of the Beatles as being a kind of sissy band.

Myself, I'm not a huge fan of the Rolling Stones. That being said, I do like their more bluesy 60s songs. I'm not a fan of their music post Exile On Main Street in general. Though Ronnie Wood is awesome.

I disagree that they are dated. I would say most of the beatles stuff is more dated than the Stones. Especially their early bubble gum pop stuff.

Give me a second to put together a list of songs that still work BESIDES Can't always get what you want.

EDIT: Might take a minute or two.. I have 371 files of them.

Edited by TheBusinessman

My dad likes the Rolling Stones far more than the Beatles. I think he thinks of the Beatles as being a kind of sissy band.

Myself, I'm not a huge fan of the Rolling Stones. That being said, I do like their more bluesy 60s songs. I'm not a fan of their music post Exile On Main Street in general. Though Ronnie Wood is awesome.

Nobody's a fan of their post Exile On Main Street stuff.

I love the Stones, but I often feel I have to rein my love in a bit as my Aunt is like their number one fan and I find it a bit odd. Gimme Shelter is the best song ever. FACT.

I love the Stones, but I often feel I have to rein my love in a bit as my Aunt is like their number one fan and I find it a bit odd. Gimme Shelter is the best song ever. FACT.

What?!?

It's only rock and roll?

Fool to Cry?

Shattered?

Beast of Burden? (My Favorite!)

Miss You?

Emotional Rescue?

FUCKING START ME UP!?!

EDIT: All of those are after Exile

Edited by TheBusinessman

What?!?

It's only rock and roll?

Fool to Cry?

Shattered?

Beast of Burden? (My Favorite!)

Miss You?

Emotional Rescue?

FUCKING START ME UP!?!

EDIT: All of those are after Exile

7 songs out of however many albums there have been released since then isn't really a good batting average is it?

And all of those are shit. Sorry.

Luckily, Keef was still amazing post-Exile, just listen to any of his solo stuff (bar some of the X-Pensive Winos live material), or collaborations with Tom Waits, Ronnie Spector, Marianne Faithful or just about anyone.

The Stones are class, if a little too much rock and roll swagger and not enough substance from time to time. And Jagger's a prick.

I don't necessarily agree with the "everything the Beatles didn't have the balls to be" assessment, though - their "rebels without a cause" schtick was as contrived as the Beatles' "I wanna hold your hand" puppy-love nonsense, or their later "avant-garde" stance, and they were the first of many rock bands to try and mask their wealthy upbringing to boost credibility, and at least The Beatles had the sense to change it up a bit more, while the Stones stuck a lot more rigidly to a formula that got increasingly past its sell-by date. I'd rather listen to the Stones, though.

I have to say... I do enjoy the Rolling Stones. I generally dislike a lot of "classic rock", but there is something interesting and special about the Stones. I like them A MILLION times more than I like the Beatles. In my view, they just have better songs, more swagger, more sex appeal. The Beatles were too ho-hum for me.