Fight Night Round 4

wolves

Who's played the demo so far? I have to say it's a lot better than Round 3. It's quicker and easier to play. I still don't like using the right stick for everything especially when your making the right movements and all it does is throw a jab. I imagine it'll be a purchase for me as I enjoy a good boxing game.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like it a lot more than the UFC game...but that's not really saying a whole lot. The main issue with Fight Night now is the fact that it's kind of run it's course. The total punch control thing was really good for a while...but you can really only do so much with boxing, and I think they've sort of reached that limit.

I can see myself picking it up once it get's a price drop, but I don't feel the desire to pay full price for it.

• 4 weeks later...

I'll post my thoughts after playing it for a while.

The game moves A LOT better than Round 3 did. It's quicker, smoother, and better looking. It's just got a great feel to it which makes it very fun to play just like UFC 2009. Both games give you the feeling of just wanting to play fight after fight because it's going to be different and just plain fun. Round 4 though in my opinion took a step back on the analog controls. I liked Round 3's system much more but Round 4 is fine. It's nothing super serious though lots of times you throw a body shot when trying to go for an uppercut. The Legacy mode is fun so far but sort of confusing. I accidentally went 5 fights without training simply because it was easy to miss. The whole thing just feels sort of hollow. Like the calender only selects certain days and things like that. It's just all kind of odd. However the action in the ring makes up for it. The create a boxer is quite nice and you get plenty of options from the get go and unlock more throughout Legacy Mode. You can put in custom music (on the 360) and even do some customization on your entrance. For example my guy comes out to KENTA's music with some dry ice fog around him. One small thing that is actually quite nice is that you have a wide selection of last names and nicknames to give your fighter. I was able to get a name close enough to my real last name. Though the cities you can choose to be from are lacking. I'm from New York and it seemed like my only option was Brooklyn. What about Buffalo which has a rich boxing history or even Canastota where the Boxing Hall of Fame is located. Small gripes though. I will say that the game is better than Round 3 from the get go. Just more options, better gameplay, and a better though still lacking career mode.

For those who are achievement whores, I got 145 points in one fight. That lasted one round. Some are going to be hard as hell to get but you'll be able to get 600-800 pretty easily.

I never played FNR3 but I liked the few fights I had on the demo so picked this up today. Through four fights against my brother I am 4-0 with four KOs but he has destroyed me on the judges' scorecards in all of them. I'm screwed if a fight ever goes the distance :P

Playing the demo it seems to me to look a little bit too cartoonish. Is it just me?

Online might be really smooth but if my debut is anything to go by, I might just avoid it. Had a bloke who just walked straight ahead with jabs, no variation, outside the odd shot to the stomach when I blocked his head shots. But literally, he did nothing else. If I'd played the game a bit more, I'd probably would have kicked his arse, but even dancing in and out and hitting the better shots, the overwhelming damage did for me, so I headbutted him 3 times and then the game disconnected.

After the disaster that is UFC 2009 online I don't know if I'm going to play this online at all. Maybe to pick up a few achievements but nothing serious like that world championship mode.

I'm almost done with Legacy Mode. Nine fights away from being able to retire as the G.O.A.T. Pretty fun but it sucks being stuck fighting the same people over and over again towards the end.

I'm curious about this game, I loved Fight Night Round 3.

For those of you that are not fond of using the right analog stick, can't you guys change the controller scheme to allow you to use the four face buttons to do your left/right jabs and left/right hooks? That made a ton of difference in playing for me. Then you can just use the analog stick for your uppercuts and special punches.

Button controls are totally out of the game this year. Have to use the right stick.

Legacy mode is alright. It's got some nice customization to it but it just seems kind of hollow. Lots of flashy lights and bells and whistles but it's not very deep. I guess you kind of get spoiled when it comes to a boxing game career mode after Prizefighter. After I finish my legacy mode which will net me all of the legacy mode achievements, I doubt I'll play it again. I'll just stick to Fight Now.