Official Premier League 2009/10 thread

Lineker

This has been a frustrating season for Liverpool. I kind of expected it. Players haven't played very well. I think the change in style from being defensive to more attacking minded has really shown up our defensive weaknesses. I wish we could find a balance.

Also, I am seriously loving how Villa are currently in a better position than Spurs, Liverpool, and possibly Man City in their quest for the top four.

It is obvious that O'Neill's plans are coming into place now. He got grief for bringing Downing in during the summer as he was injured. Admittedly by myself for not replacing Barry, but it is clear he wanted Downing Milner Petrov Young, as they are now all along, and for that I will shut up from now on.

Milner has been absolutely superb in the middle. In fact the whole team have been fantastic.

4th spot here we come.

Edited by ONO

5 in a row. I'm still trying to get over this. We are the team with the best form in the Premier League. I was expecting us at this point in the season to be bouncing in and out of the relegation zone, but instead we are above both Liverpool and Man City (although they have games in hand) and we're only 10 points behind Chelsea and Man U. Crazy times.

Yeah, I'm really starting to fear relegation this season. I know we were in 17th at Christmas time last year and got up to 9th, but this year, it's different. The back line is just in shambles. Even when Upson is fit, he hasn't played fan-dabi-dozi this year, and Rob Green, despite having little help, again, playing horrible. Some of the goals, obviously, he can't control, but he's making too many mental mistakes and not saving shots he is capable of. See Bolton's second goal today.

This current team will be relegated. Even if Cole is fit and plays all of the last half of the season. There is nothing in the back line to save the squad. And since the Icelandic bank think they need an offer of 100 million to sell the club, I just can't see life being good for West Ham. Without being sold before the January window ends, no one else comes in. Plus, Green, Upson, and/or Cole are potentially sold. Who knows. The club is relegation, and eventually probably goes into administration, and/or there's a rocket fire sale of players. It's pessimistic as fuck, but it seems very feasible, sadly.

Valencia has to be the most miserable bastard alive. I don't think I've seen someone look angrier after scoring such a good goal. Whilst he's off searching for a smile, Rooney should go try find some form. Nothing he's tried has come off at all in about a month. At least he's scoring penalties in a World Cup year though.

Also would have liked to see Mick McCarthy actually have a bit of confidence in his team and play some of his first team instead of shitting his pants at the thought of trying to come away with anything other than a heavy loss. This is probably one of the most high-profile matches they'll have all season and the game all his squad look forward to at the start of the season, so why not give his first team a chance to challenge themselves? Surely coming up against the likes of Rooney, Berbatov, Scholes etc. is the only way they'll improve.

http://www.101greatgoals.com/videodisplay/4211405/

Milner with one of the best goals this season surely.

Note to previous Newcastle managers,

This is what the lad can do when you actually treat him like you give a shit.

Regards

Gary Priest

Aged 25 1/2

Also, has Martin O'Neill been taking management tips from Stoker? :shifty:

do you reckon Upson regrets his move to West Ham now that Blues are 6th?

He says before Birmingham repeat Hull's collapse last season.

In all seriously, this can't and won't last. At the start of the season I just wanted us to survive and that should still be our goal, yes things are good right now, but the teams we have beaten are sides that we needed to beat if we were going to stay up anyway. It's just been lucky to get them all in a row. The draws against Man City and Liverpool were fan-dabi-dozi and if anything more impressive than the five wins (though I'd take losing against City and Liverpool and keep the five other wins :shifty:). We have hard games coming up, Everton away and Chelsea on Boxing day, which I'd be pleased with a point from, combined.

I think what could be key is who we buy in January. The side we have is good enough to stay up but we should try and push for a mid-table finish from here (I'd love a top half finish), though the people we've been linked with are stupid. Huuntelar? Somehow I don't think he's going to go 'No I don't want to play for Man United, Liverpool or Tottenham, I want to play for BIRMINGHAM'.

To be honest I can see us winning against Everton, they aren't exactly on the best form, though I would be happy with a point. Chelsea on Boxing day is the really hard game, and i'll be happy if we take anything away from it.

In all seriously, this can't and won't last. At the start of the season I just wanted us to survive and that should still be our goal, yes things are good right now, but the teams we have beaten are sides that we needed to beat if we were going to stay up anyway. It's just been lucky to get them all in a row. The draws against Man City and Liverpool were fan-dabi-dozi and if anything more impressive than the five wins (though I'd take losing against City and Liverpool and keep the five other wins :shifty:). We have hard games coming up, Everton away and Chelsea on Boxing day, which I'd be pleased with a point from, combined.

I think what could be key is who we buy in January. The side we have is good enough to stay up but we should try and push for a mid-table finish from here (I'd love a top half finish), though the people we've been linked with are stupid. Huuntelar? Somehow I don't think he's going to go 'No I don't want to play for Man United, Liverpool or Tottenham, I want to play for BIRMINGHAM'.

Apparently some SHA fans on another forum think they have a fantastic chance of grabbing Edin Dzeko. Hmmm...

Anyway, heard about that Benitez guys miss 5 yards out or something.

Apparently some SHA fans on another forum think they have a fantastic chance of grabbing Edin Dzeko. Hmmm...

Anyway, heard about that Benitez guys miss 5 yards out or something.

His autograph maybe. We can get above ourselves at times, remember when Bruce left for Wigan and we offered the job to Martin Jol and Marcelo Lippi? :lmao:

Van Nistelrooy and Shevchenko and two that have been linked, along with half the Scottish side

Valencia has to be the most miserable bastard alive. I don't think I've seen someone look angrier after scoring such a good goal. Whilst he's off searching for a smile, Rooney should go try find some form. Nothing he's tried has come off at all in about a month. At least he's scoring penalties in a World Cup year though.

Also would have liked to see Mick McCarthy actually have a bit of confidence in his team and play some of his first team instead of shitting his pants at the thought of trying to come away with anything other than a heavy loss. This is probably one of the most high-profile matches they'll have all season and the game all his squad look forward to at the start of the season, so why not give his first team a chance to challenge themselves? Surely coming up against the likes of Rooney, Berbatov, Scholes etc. is the only way they'll improve.

Which shows just how good he actually is, as despite not being at his best over the last few weeks, he's still been just as important as anybody.

Very impressed by Valencia, more and more as the games go by. Just a fantastic no nonsense guy who gets the job done. Take notes Nani.

Yeah, I'm really starting to fear relegation this season. I know we were in 17th at Christmas time last year and got up to 9th, but this year, it's different. The back line is just in shambles. Even when Upson is fit, he hasn't played fan-dabi-dozi this year, and Rob Green, despite having little help, again, playing horrible. Some of the goals, obviously, he can't control, but he's making too many mental mistakes and not saving shots he is capable of. See Bolton's second goal today.

This current team will be relegated. Even if Cole is fit and plays all of the last half of the season. There is nothing in the back line to save the squad. And since the Icelandic bank think they need an offer of 100 million to sell the club, I just can't see life being good for West Ham. Without being sold before the January window ends, no one else comes in. Plus, Green, Upson, and/or Cole are potentially sold. Who knows. The club is relegation, and eventually probably goes into administration, and/or there's a rocket fire sale of players. It's pessimistic as fuck, but it seems very feasible, sadly.

As long as the hammers can hold onto their main players in January I think they'll be OK.

Alright they are awful at the moment, but there are even worse teams out there, Portsmouth, Hull, Wolves and Wigan would love to have players like Cole, Upson, Noble and co to call on.