Non-League Football 2009/2010 Thread

hugobomb

Seriously? Are these people not smart enough to even listen to the MANAGER now?

I've never, ever liked this idea and I fully expect Ebbsfleet to get relegated sooner rather than later.

So the manager, the board and the accountant are recommending it, but they're voting no anyway? Why?

What a joke way to run a football club. I feel sorry for the proper fans who have had their club ruined by this.

This.

I think the idea had potential, but they should have gone with a lower level club. If they had taken over a side a couple of divisions lowers than the BSP, they could have bought the club with a nice amount of money left over for transfers and running the club. That way they wouldn't of had to rely on everyone signing up again. But of course everyone wanted to buy a big club (Wasn't one of their top choices Leeds?) and they don't seem to care that if they don't sell they won't be in the BSP for much longer. Everyone at the club says they need to sell for the good of the club and free up some money to bring in players, but of course what do the manager and the board know about football? And what does the accountant know about money? The owners have played Football Manager so they are of course experts in footballing matters.

Anybody got odds on Ebbsfleet being relegated?

As long as teams are in financial shit - I forget which clubs were in rough shape - Ebbsfleet may not get shot down. That is of course if the Fleet stay out of debt themselves. I think the highest priority is staying out of debt. But a lot of the vocal membership believe they can work a miracle, play well with Gash and Charles and the supporting cast - the 12 people to sign on the team for £3000 a week combined.

I have no idea how the vote will go. A lot of people are saying no, but there's a silent majority that might go with the recommendation of the manager and the board. Quite a few people are pushing for a yes anyway.

That and Setanta's implosion will hurt every BSP club with a loss of TV deal money.

Yeah, we were kind of hoping to be on pretty frequently, and therefore gain a little extra cash from that. In this Ebbsfleet deal, I would possibly accept the offer. Chester already have a ten point deduction and are in all-sorts of disarray, so they could be one of the teams that go down. If Daish plays his cards right and uses every pound wisely, then they have a good chance to survive.

To be fair, they're better off without Mark Wright. He is and always has been a total jackass.

And I know it's gonna hurt the teams financially, but you could always see the BSP get a new tv deal (I don't see why Sky wouldn't want it back on) plus you won't have to play at ridiculous times like Setanta always has BSP games on.

Hadn't heard of him before he resigned but yeah, he sound like a complete jackass:

'I deserve to be in the Championship for what I know and what I've done. Do I want to be in the Conference? No'

Since when is getting relegated from League Two a good spring board into the Championship? Plus looking back on his career, he's been sacked from Oxford for racially abusing a match official. He did well with Chester the first time round, getting to a Conference play-off semi-final (losing to Doncaster), then winning the title the next year, but resigned just 48 before the start of their League Two Campaign, effectivly ruining their build up (though rumours say this was to do with an affair with a player's wife). He took over Peterborough and got them into play-off contention, but once again he was sacked admit rumours of racially abusing one of his staff (denied by him and court action pending). He rejoined Chester a month after leaving Peterborough and saved them from relegation, but the next years was sacked after a run of just 3 wins in his last 20 games. His was then given a thrid chance at Chester but they were relegated and he left throwing his toys out the pram on the way out.

So, sacked twice for racially abusing someone, one Conference Title, one relegation into the Conference. Hardly what Championship clubs are looking for I'd say. He'll get a job in League Two at some point I'd say but at a bottum end club. Of he may have to drop back into the BSP

Yeah, exactly. I've never been able to stand him, and knocking him out of the play-offs that year was a very sweet feeling. Although I'm a little surprised you haven't heard of him, he was a ginger injury-prone defender in Liverpool's team of the 1990's, and played a lot for England too.

Members accept 80,000GBP offer

Double bid for Gash and Charles

published : 22nd Jun by MyFC_Web_Team

Members have accepted an £80,000 offer for Michael Gash and Darius Charles. This offer is now subject to the players agreeing terms with the club in question.

Result is as follows:

Accept the £80,000 for both players (2272 votes)

Reject the £80,000 for both players (580 votes)

Abstain (44 votes)

2896 members voted.

Probably was a smart move in the long run, those two guys took a huge chunk of the budget. Not terribly surprised a silent majority bashed Daish, but for a while it was looking close with all the chatter in the message boards.

But boy is the rejection side pissed about it.

It's not like we were going to compete with whoever bought them anyway (my guess Luton), our main goal is be financially above water and finish out of the bottom four. People don't quite seem to get that, and if the staff believes 80k was the best we was going to get, then so be it. Would it have been nice to get 90k or 100, yeah. But with the economy and now Setanta in administration, wasn't probably going to happen.

Turns out it was York City

The official York City website has confirmed that the Minstermen are the unnamed club who have signed Darius Charles and Michael Gash from Ebbsfleet United for a fee of £80,000 in two instalments.

But while those departures were expected by Fleet fans, York also announced the capture of Fleet midfielder Neil Barrett. City manager Martin Foyle told his club's website, “I’m delighted to have secured three quality players of this calibre. It’s a big coup for York City and I now think we have a great squad of players to take us forward for the coming season." All three players will relocate to York.

Gash joined the Fleet in July 2008 for £20,000 from Cambridge City and played 50 (+1) games, scoring 12 times. Charles originally joined the Fleet on loan in the spring of 2008 from Brentford, a deal later extended to include the whole of the 2008-09 season. He was signed permanently in March 2009 as part of an initial £15,000 deal. He won several player of the year awards and went on to complete 52 (+1) games. Barrett played 81 times for the Fleet, scoring 10 goals, having signed from Woking in June 2007.

I'm guessing Barrett was a free agent (had no contract)

Sorry Matt, but Farsley have gone into administration and been kicked out of the Conference North. So they have no league to play in, and actually have to raise money just to lodge an appeal against being kicked out.

Saw that the fixtures are out, Luton against Wimbledon on the opening day should be a good one!

Blackburn are now using Leighs ground as our reserve team stadium, could see them becoming an unofficial feeder club at some point.

As for farsley, I heard they got kicked out 3 hours after the fixtures where released, couldn't they have done it before that point?

Non-League fixtures are done by hand so I don't think it would've made a difference. Either they kick them out before and just say their fixtures are removed or do it after.

It's stupid how they have to do it by hand, despite having a 24 team league the Conference fixtures have teams missing weekends because they weren't smart enough to figure out a way for everyone to play every week, even though it's worked every year in the past.

The scheduling is rather insane at times. I remember last year the Fleet had no games from late January to early March (though some of that was due to weather), there were a couple times when games could have been rescheduled on, and weren't. Even a Saturday being vacant and could have been a game with weather cooperating.

And then after that, there were like 19 games in 6-7 weeks, including a long stretch of there being one every Tues-Thurs-Sat

It's stupid, and Setanta are largely at fault for it. When we were in the Conference it was when the division first started having live games on Sky, and they were always on a Saturday morning or a Saturday evening. The fixture list was generally pretty simple and straight forward, and followed the league dates mainly.