2009/2010 NBA Thread

jrtdot

Lakers are in self destruct mode. Kobe has already, publicly, given up on the team. This is the part where, in his mind, he has to play savior and that is not where his head needs to be if they want to see this series go seven.

Looks like the Lakers got on the same page though. They're blowing the Celtics outta the water. LA up by 25 at the end of the third? Yikes.

Game 7's gonna be pretty bleak for Boston with no Perkins. Sheed can't defend anyone without a bear hug being involved, and Davis will be looking up at Gasol's armpits all night.

Doc Rivers may have to make an emergency call and see what Robert Parish is doing these days.

Kendrick Perkins is out, per Chris Mannix.

Big blow for Boston, and, as much as I want to see another Laker championship (and who wouldn't, Los Angeles is universally beloved ;) ), I want both teams at full strength. I don't want any excuses from lame Boston fans.

Edited by DMN

He had a bit of a point though because everybody was acting like the Lakers were dead in the water when the format was designed to have been 3-2 in favor of Boston. Not to mention that Gene Kiniski misconstrued what Kobe said in his post-game interview as "giving up" on the team as opposed to what it was really was - motivation.

Also, a humble DMN...just isn't DMN.

He had a bit of a point though because everybody was acting like the Lakers were dead in the water when the format was designed to have been 3-2 in favor of Boston. Not to mention that Gene Kiniski misconstrued what Kobe said in his post-game interview as "giving up" on the team as opposed to what it was really was - motivation.

Also, a humble DMN...just isn't DMN.

I took back what I said because he showed me wrong, but I was judging on Kobe's past reactions in situations like this. My comments were also more geared to his storming to the back after the game in Boston where he was cursing at everyone around him and insulting his teammates while doing so. That post game interview didn't help much, but most of what I said was geared at his lack of sportsmanship in front of the camera instead of saving it for the locker room.

I actually AM pretty humble for a Lakers' fan. You should hear some of the bandwagon guys out here. You guys should know by now that, when it comes to sports, I try to stay level headed, and just talk shit for fun. Win or lose, I stick with my teams, and win or lose, I'm not going to let it fuck with me. There was a time when I guess I 'cared' a lot more, but its just sports. I want my teams to win, but I'm not going to rant and rave when they don't, and I take as good as I give.

I really do hate Boston, though. Never liked the east coast as a whole much, but particularly Boston fans. Ever since their teams decided to start winning (in defense of the Celtics, at least they have tradition), they've become insufferable, and being a member of quite a few sports based internet communities, its really fucking annoying. ESPN being Boston-centric doesn't help matters.

A big problem I have is that, being a native of LA, I have to deal with all the Laker-haters (as opposed to people who are fans of other teams, I want to make that distinction), AND our own idiotic bandwagon fans. I'm sure any fan of the Yankees or one of the top Premiership teams can understand that.

I do expect the Lakers to win tomorrow, though. Especially with Perkins out, that's a huge blow to Boston. In a perfect world, both teams would be completely healthy (and this series would be over, because Boston can't really compete against a completely healthy Laker team, because of Bynum), but its not. I just know I'm going to hear a bunch of excuses about it. To be fair, all the bandwagon Laker fans made excuses about Bynum in'08, so what comes around, I guess.

All that said, even though I hate their fanbase, I respect the Celtics. They play the right way, have a great coach, and even their idiot bench players are, at the least, entertaining. I love the LA/Boston rivalry, so its really all in fun.

Hell, I'll even say this for Celtics' fans, they're the only fanbase that doesn't annoy me when they chant 'Beat LA'. They started it, they can keep doing it, but when everyone else rips them off, it annoys me. The fans are genuine, and care about their team.

That said... Fuck Boston ;)

• Like 2