2009/2010 NBA Thread

jrtdot

I will be absolutely stunned if Bavetta and Salvatore are not refs for Game 5 of the West Finals.

In addition to your comment, I will be absolutely stunned if Phoenix gets to the line 37 times to LA's 16.5 in that game (that's the average of the 2 games in Phoenix). The refs in the NBA are terrible. Phoenix won the two games by 18 points combined, but took 41 more free throws and made 36 more.

Edited by naiwf

I will be absolutely stunned if Bavetta and Salvatore are not refs for Game 5 of the West Finals.

In addition to your comment, I will be absolutely stunned if Phoenix gets to the line 37 times to LA's 16.5 in that game (that's the average of the 2 games in Phoenix). The refs in the NBA are terrible. Phoenix won the two games by 18 points combined, but took 41 more free throws and made 36 more.

If the refs are sticking it to the Lakers, they only have Phil and his repeated baiting to blame. It's his Kevin Durant and Steve Nash comments being shoved up his ass.

But, 24 of those 41 free throw attempts came as clock-stoppers in the late minutes of both games. The rest seemed to come from Amare waging war on Gasol in both games and the Lakers' defensive rotation always being a step slow in Game 4...you know, when they sagged 10 feet off of guys like Frye and Dudley, expecting they'd keep laying bricks. Oops.

About time we had an interesting series, though. I was about to demand a refund of all the time that I could have spent watching hockey.

• Like 1

Holy shit, Joey Crawford's a hanging judge tonight. That's five technicals and one ejection.

If Boston loses this one, they will have the right to feel they've been totally boned.

If they don't rescind that 2nd technical on Perkins the Celtics are dead. He'd be suspended for Game 6, Big Baby's brains are scrambled and Wallace hurt his back. There's no way they'd be able to withstand all of those big guys being out, or minimally effective. Every year there's at least one NBA playoff game that disgusts me as a fan, and this was the one.

Neither technical should have never been called, as most experts and fans have already said. Although Kendrick Perkins acts like he never commits a foul, ever. This guy mouths off to the refs more than Rasheed Wallace and frankly I think they're sick of it. He's not a superstar, he shouldn't get fouls called his way, nor should he get the benefit of the doubt on calls. He's an average player with decent low post defense.

Although like I said, the officiating in that game was horrid, both technical calls were uncalled for.

I'll take the Lakers in 6 if they take the first two home games, as I'm fairly sure that they will take one of the three games in Boston. If they split the first two, then Lakers in 7. I think it's basically going to come down to the Lakers simply having the home court advantage, as I don't see the Celtics being able to come back LA for game six or seven and win both of them, even if they happen to be up 3-2. Kobe is on a mission, and while the Celtics will definitely put up a fight, I think the Lakers have the toughness this year that plagued them in the 2008 Finals.

I keep going back and forth. Lakers have the size, they have Kobe, but they've had just awful inconsistency this postseason. Boston has turned on the kill switch and has that sort of aura you see in eventual champs (Lakers had it last year, Heat in 06, Pistons in 04, Spurs in 03). I would have never picked Boston before the playoffs started, it's like they just coasted into the postseason and then Sheed decided he would start trying, Rondo assumed a leadership role that was needed, and the team as a whole finally began to mesh together after a season of turmoil. LA has been my pick all year, but in the playoffs they've just been plagued by needing too much of Kobe to bail them out. Kobe's the best in the game at making a difference at the end of a game, but I just don't know if he can do it for 4 games in the Finals.'

So I'm gonna open this to debate so I can decide my eventual prediction. I don't really care that much, I won't be betting money on it, but I still like to be right.

My gut says that whichever team wins the first game will win the series. If Boston walks into LA and puts them in an 0-1 hole, I could see the Lakers falling apart like they did that year when they imploded and Detroit won their most recent title. If LA handles the pressure of that game I think they would have to lose twice at home in order to lose the series, since I think they'll take one in Boston.

Kobe has to resist the temptation of trying to singlehandedly beat Boston and I could very easily see Rondo trying to do too much as well. There are a handful of plays per game that Rondo tries to make that are so unnecessary/bush league that it's bound to catch up to him sooner or later.

Kobe has to resist the temptation of trying to singlehandedly beat Boston and I could very easily see Rondo trying to do too much as well. There are a handful of plays per game that Rondo tries to make that are so unnecessary/bush league that it's bound to catch up to him sooner or later.

This is exactly my thought process. Kobe needs to make the game accessible to his main guys. He needs to give the touches to Gasol, Odom, Bynum (to an extent with his injury and all), Fisher and of course Artest. If he decides to make this series all about Kobe, he can kiss his revenge goodbye.

I see the series much like Naiwf. Home court in the finals is so important, meaning Boston will just about HAVE to steal two in LA to win the series. Game 1 is the one that would worry me if I were the Lakers. If they win that game, I don't see Boston winning game two. However if Boston were to steal Game 1, it would be interesting to see how the Lakers.....most noteably Koboe, reacts. In the end, I went with the Lakers but would not be surprised in the least if Boston won either.