2009/2010 NBA Thread

jrtdot

They certainly have the Spurs mighty scared. <_<

I don't know if you've noticed, but the Spurs ain't the Lakers.

Defending champions, best top six in the league, best closer in the league, best sixth man in the league, best big man in the league, best coach in NBA history...

Want me to continue?

The only position that Phoenix is better than LA is at the point. That's not going to be enough to win a seven game series.

They certainly have the Spurs mighty scared. <_<

I don't know if you've noticed, but the Spurs ain't the Lakers.

Defending champions, best top six in the league, best closer in the league, best sixth man in the league, best big man in the league, best coach in NBA history...

When did Dwight Howard get to LA?

As for best lineups, there's this. The Lakers' best five averages 110 points per 100 possessions. The Suns have two combinations averaging over 116. Stopping Gasol and Bynum (whose gimpiness may just stop him itself) is immaterial when the Suns are rolling 110 per game. The burden's on the 6-deep Lakers to stop Phoenix, all 8 or 9 deep that they go.

I'm pretty sure Artest, after doing a good job on Durant, can stop Jason Richardson. Steve Nash is still fast, but not exactly Russell Westbrook or Deron Williams in his ability to attack the lane. If Amare has a stellar series, I can see Phoenix taking this to 6 games. Otherwise, I have to believe LA rolls.

The biggest threat to the Lakers was the Thunder, they matched up very well and of all the teams in the West (Except Denver, who won't be facing LA) they were best suited to knock them off. They didn't. Phoenix can go 8 or 9 deep all they want. When the Lakers are down 4-5 with 2 minutes to go, Kobe will take over.

That's why nobody out West can beat the Lakers.

Plus the fact that they're in the same division, and LA won that.

LA is the better team. You can throw out the 'well, they have combinations that averaged 116 points!' like it means something, but it doesn't. What matters is that the Lakers are better, they proved it by winning the division. If you had some stat that showed that Phoenix consistently out-scored LA (ie, beat them ;)), then you'd have something. I'm not going to pore over the records, but I'm pretty sure I'd have heard about that, instead, all I've heard is how LA will roll, and that's not just from arrogant Laker fans.

Oh, and until Dwight Howard develops a post game, Pau is better. Howard is the best defensive big man in the game, this is true, but the gap between his offensive game and Pau's is MUCH larger than the gap between their respective defensive games.

I was wrong about Boston being able to win two games in this series. In fact, they probably should be up 3-1 which is so odd because the one game where Cleveland dominated it made Boston look like they were lucky to avoid a sweep.

Plus the fact that they're in the same division, and LA won that.

LA is the better team. You can throw out the 'well, they have combinations that averaged 116 points!' like it means something, but it doesn't. What matters is that the Lakers are better, they proved it by winning the division. If you had some stat that showed that Phoenix consistently out-scored LA (ie, beat them ;)), then you'd have something. I'm not going to pore over the records, but I'm pretty sure I'd have heard about that, instead, all I've heard is how LA will roll, and that's not just from arrogant Laker fans.

Oh, and until Dwight Howard develops a post game, Pau is better. Howard is the best defensive big man in the game, this is true, but the gap between his offensive game and Pau's is MUCH larger than the gap between their respective defensive games.

To be fair, the Suns have played a lot better in the playoffs than they did during the regular season. I'm not saying they'll beat the Lakers because I don't think they will but there is a bit of a difference between the Suns in the regular season and the Suns that have played in the postseason so far.

Rajon Rondo, What?!

Rondo always ups his game for the playoffs. What a performance.

The stuff he put up today is like I was playing my PS3 hahah!

This series is going to 7!

I don't mind the Suns but where have the Spurs gone? Speaking of gone, Joe Johnson...Jamal Crawford...hello?...Bueller?...if they don't get it going, kiss them goodbye.

Artest has done a good job and I am happy his game has come back! The way LA is rolling, this might be done tomorrow.

Not to mention Gasol can actually play more than 30 minutes a game.

Dwight Howard is the single reason Nelson, VC, Shard, and Pietrus are playing good defense...And he easily overpowers weaker centers like Horford because they can't handle him. Only 4-5 guys in the league can slow down Dwight. He's way better than Gasol, and every other center in the NBA.

Dwight's the 2nd most valuable player in basketball, IMO.

Dwight Howard is the single reason Nelson, VC, Shard, and Pietrus are playing good defense...And he easily overpowers weaker centers like Horford because they can't handle him. Only 4-5 guys in the league can slow down Dwight. He's way better than Gasol, and every other center in the NBA.

Dwight's the 2nd most valuable player in basketball, IMO.

Gasol's a better all around player than Howard at this point. Ever since he joined the Lakers they win roughly 70% of the time and have made it to the NBA finals both years. They've done it in the West and they'll probably make a third straight appearance this season. Gasol isn't a max player and he can give you 40+ minutes if you need it. He isn't the defender that Howard is, but he's not an end game liability on the free throw line. Howard makes the spectacular plays, which also includes spectacularly stupid fouls, but Gasol is more steady and therefore more valuable in the postseason.

Getting swept and not even challenging the Suns is just another reason I hate the Spurs. They eliminated Dallas by playing the best they possibly could, and then basically rolled over by playing like a bunch of senior citizens. What a lousy way to end a great run, but the Spurs are done until the end of the decade at least now that OKC and Portland are a year closer to joining the league's elite.

Getting swept and not even challenging the Suns is just another reason I hate the Spurs. They eliminated Dallas by playing the best they possibly could, and then basically rolled over by playing like a bunch of senior citizens. What a lousy way to end a great run, but the Spurs are done until the end of the decade at least now that OKC and Portland are a year closer to joining the league's elite.

I think we were just happy to prove we're still the best team in Texas.

I agree that next year we'll be lucky to scrape a playoff place, after that, who knows. :/

Not to mention Gasol can actually play more than 30 minutes a game.

If Dwight can stay out of foul trouble, he can easily rape Gasol. Dwight isn't that bad on offense. Could he have a better post game, yes; but there is times where Orlando refuse to give him the ball. After seeing Game 2 live in Orlando, I am convinced that there shouldn't be another finals matchup other than Lakers/Magic.

This all becomes a moot point though when no one left can stop Bynum and Gasol for four games. I would be extremely pissed if Kobe doesn't get ring #5

No team in the league matches up well with a healthy, motivated Lakers team. That's the problem, though, the Lakers decide when to show up.

And no, Dwight can't rape Gasol. Pau's offensive game is, arguably, the best among big men. That's why Howard would have trouble with him. He'll get Dwight in foul trouble, and Howard isn't good enough, or sophisticated enough, on the offensive end to carry a team. I can't think of a big man, except Pau, thatd I'd take over Dwight, Garnett and Duncan are getting up thee in age, so its not really an insult. It depends on what kind of offense you want to run as well. Gasol is perfect for LA, and I think that, given how Orlando tends to play offensively, he'd be wasted on the Magic.

If Dwight can stay out of foul trouble, he can easily rape Gasol. Dwight isn't that bad on offense. Could he have a better post game, yes; but there is times where Orlando refuse to give him the ball. After seeing Game 2 live in Orlando, I am convinced that there shouldn't be another finals matchup other than Lakers/Magic.

This all becomes a moot point though when no one left can stop Bynum and Gasol for four games. I would be extremely pissed if Kobe doesn't get ring #5

In last year's Finals,

PTS Gasol 18.6 - 15.4

REB Howard 15.2 - 9.2

AST 2.2 each

BLK Howard 4-1.8

STL Howard 1.6-0.8

WINS Gasol 4-1

If Dwight gives up 3 points, but earns 2 more blocks, 1 more steal and 6 more boards than Gasol there's no way the Magic can win. He basically needs to average 24-14-3-3-1 just to give his team a shot.

Maybe it's just me, but LeBron sort of looked like he was in full-on "Man, fuck this team" mode tonight. He did everything but go back and sleep in the clubhouse...er, locker room.

I've been leaning toward him staying with Cleveland next season, but now I'll be surprised if he does.

Maybe it's just me, but LeBron sort of looked like he was in full-on "Man, fuck this team" mode tonight. He did everything but go back and sleep in the clubhouse...er, locker room.

I've been leaning toward him staying with Cleveland next season, but now I'll be surprised if he does.

I still really hope they pull it out somehow, but thats just for my pure hate of Boston...once that series is over, it will be back to the Cav hatin'. They just played terribly today and yeah Bron looks like he was thinking too much about NYK or about his max contract next year