Torchwood: Children of Earth

DFF

So, what did everyone think? I thought it was an intriguing first episode and a nice set up for episode two.

More spoilery thoughts below:

Did not see the swerve with the doctor coming. I thought with the way they were being built up that both he and the IT girl were going to be new recruits (the latter could still be, I suppose).

I'd be interested to see what the Government supposedly did in the 60's to provoke the talk that they were. My theory is that the aliens popped up and, not knowing what they were doing, the government ordered them to be shot at. They then left and have now returned.

Without (hopefully) giving anything away, I thought episode 1 was fantastic. The Torchwood team are a lot tighter now they only have three main characters to focus on(don't get me wrong, I love Owen and Tosh, but this new dynamic is brilliant). There was a lot less of the facepalmingly corny dialogue which has punctuated previous series and the scenes with the children by the end were becoming extremely spooky. A great first episode and I can't wait for tonights.

Without (hopefully) giving anything away, I thought episode 1 was fantastic. The Torchwood team are a lot tighter now they only have three main characters to focus on(don't get me wrong, I love Owen and Tosh, but this new dynamic is brilliant). There was a lot less of the facepalmingly corny dialogue which has punctuated previous series and the scenes with the children by the end were becoming extremely spooky. A great first episode and I can't wait for tonights.

Yeah, I found a lot of the comedy throwaway lines actually hit the spot (unusual for Torchwood :P). In fact, besides Ianto mumbling on about 'couples' all the time I didn't really have any problem with it. Plus anything with Paul Copley in = automatic win.

Episodes are getting better and better and each one's been very different to the others so far. Also, if they kill off John Frobisher I'll riot, he's so blatantly destined for that PM seat so there can finally be a PM who I don't think is a fucking annoyance.

Episodes are getting better and better and each one's been very different to the others so far. Also, if they kill off John Frobisher I'll riot, he's so blatantly destined for that PM seat so there can finally be a PM who I don't think is a fucking annoyance.

What!! Harold Saxon was the greatest PM ever! Even if he was insane...and The Master....

I'm loving the series so far, I've only really dipped in and out of Torchwood in series one and two, but I'm hooked. I think the 5 episode mini-series really suits the show.

On a related note, did anyone hear/download the radio plays off Radio 4?

Harold Saxon was not Prime Minister, he was The Master of it all god damnit. And Harriet Jones had her moments, but generally was an annoyance.

He was, The Doctor said so >_<

The new prime minister looks like he should be Geofrery Palmer

Gotta say I think they've nailed this story spot on so far. Don't get me wrong, it's all very familiar and Torchwood-y, but it's been done so so well this time around. Am looking forward to the finale.

Oh and...

Ianto! :crying:

I didn't rate him much in series 1, but he was much better (even very good at times) in series 2. Can't believe they killed him off.

Gotta say I think they've nailed this story spot on so far. Don't get me wrong, it's all very familiar and Torchwood-y, but it's been done so so well this time around. Am looking forward to the finale.

Oh and...

Ianto! :crying:

I didn't rate him much in series 1, but he was much better (even very good at times) in series 2. Can't believe they killed him off.

The way this series is going their killing everyone off and starting fresh, I just hope if they get to another series they bring in some more people cause all I can see is Gwen and Jack which to me sounds dull as hell

On top of that great episodes so far although the final episode does come off a lot like the end of (Who) series 2 to me with the whole “this is the end” stuff.

Also I cant wait to see what these 451 actually look like

Why the hell did Jack think walking into a room and telling the 456 to stop it or he'll get very cross was going to work? And I can't believe they killed Ianto! He was my favourite character, but it seems quite obvious he's being replaced by Lois, if there as a 4th series and the rumours it's getting canceled aren;t true

Why the hell did Jack think walking into a room and telling the 456 to stop it or he'll get very cross was going to work? And I can't believe they killed Ianto! He was my favourite character, but it seems quite obvious he's being replaced by Lois, if there as a 4th series and the rumours it's getting canceled aren;t true

From what I can gather, the continuation of the series depends on the ratings of this one. There's an artciel on the Beeb somewhere that says they've pulled around 5.5m viewers for this series (compared with 2.5 to 4.5 average for the previous series)

...erm...wow. Kind of a harrowing last episode, and...well

I'm guessing no more Torchwood? Can't see Jack coming back, so unless they create a new team then...well, yeah. Also, Bridget <3 - and I called it as soon as she was staring at the PM. Although having the Hazel Blears-esque woman being the PM doesn't seem like a great trade, although she started to redeem herself.

Yeah, last episode spoilers:

When Frobisher got the box I knew it was a gun, but I thought he'd just kill himself to avoid sending his daughters off to the camps. I never thought they'd go as far as to have him kill himself and family, especially on the BBC.

Same with the kid at the end. I kept on expecting Jack to run in and 'kill himself' to save his grandson, knowing he'd come back.

All in all I enjoyed it, if that is the last of Torchwood it's a great way to end it (although I expect a few of the characters to be shoehorned into a couple of the Doctor Who specials).

On something you just said...

I was sure, given that kind of bitchy army woman had said earlier in the week "let's see if he's immortal like his granddad" or something along those lines, that the kid was going to come back to life. But then he didn't and...well, it was just a depressing final 15 minutes, bar Bridget's uber face turn.

Jesus Christ that was good.

I love how they managed an ending where they have won, yet it is exceptionally bleak at the same time.

Jack sacrificing his grandson to save the world was heartwrenching.

And earlier with Frobisher and his family - it was all so well handled.

I really hope that isn't the end for Torchwood, but it would be a fitting finale if it was. I'm assuming they'll gauge the ratings of this plus the imminent DVD release, then leave it a while dropping chars in and out of Dr. Who sporadically before maybe bringing it back in a year or two with a similar format.

Edited by DFF/WFS

The following contains spoilers NOT just for tonights episode, but for other things too

With Jack appearing in the Doctor Who finale, suposidly at the shadow proclimation. Could they possibly have it so Jack is convinced to return to Torchwood by The Doctor? Because he's the only person I could see conviincing Jack he's needed. That or they could use Captain John as a short term replacment, having Jack return at the end of the series or something?

Apart from that it was amazing, really tense and harrowing,