right i'm looking for two things here

METALMAN

1. atmospheric music...you know. sigur rós makes you think of snow and ice. leo abrahams makes you think of snow and ice. unlearn makes you think of snow and ice. ennio morricone makes you think of boring school band rehearsals...

i'm looking for all sorts here. even metal as long as it doesn't growl too much and scare me :(

2. music about history and stuff...you know. korpiklaani...kind of. can't think of any others except j'aime des trains. preferably ridiculously over-the-top.

i'm looking for all sorts here. even metal as long as it doesn't growl too much and scare me :(

merci beaucoup

Edited by Franz Joseph I of Austria

You'll know some of this.

Kyte makes me think of Christmas.

"Everything In Transit" by Jack's Mannequin is the PERFECT summer album.

Owl City (I'm suspecting the new album will be even more so) is perfect for summer too. I think Plushgun, Lights, Swimming With Dolphins might do the trick too.

Oh, The Sea & Cake are a very 'cool' summer breeze kind of a band.

And all those kind of folky-twee bands like Slow Club, Zoey Van Goey, The Momeraths, Ellen & The Escapades, Besides Daniel are like proper Autumn night snuggle bands....that sounded very gay. :shifty:

"Ghost" by Radical Face is very much a winter album...as is "Winters Daughter" by Rickolus...the Rickolus album you can get for free on his website.

Relative Q is lovely. Can't go wrong with Eluvium, Explosions In The Sky, Stars Of The Lid, Mimas or d_rradio.

Peter Broderick..."Home" and "Music For Falling From Trees" have a very "Reminiscing of the springtime" feel..."Docile" and "Float" his piano based albums remind me a lot of the sea/ice. :shifty:

I Am Robot And Proud. 'Earlier' Styrofoam ("I'm What's There To Show That Something's Missing"/"Nothing's Lost"), Lali Puna.

Punk-rock really takes me back to certain moments in time/certain albums have really strong feelings to me...but that's a personal thing, so I wont bother mentioning them.

As for 2...I have no idea...the 2nd iLiKETRAiNS album. :shifty: But I know you were already listening to that earlier tonight, so a pointless suggestion. :shifty:

Edited by YI

kyte you said you would send me like a year ago. i do like though.

i have everything in transit. not the sort of thing i was meaning though. well it is in a way. dunno.

rickolus sounds awesome. like robin hood music.

radical face sings a bit like roddy woomble sang like before he learned how to sing.

you told me to download eluvium for sleeping ages ago. it sounds alright but not listened in full.

always meant to check out explosions in the sky. dunno where to start though.

sars of the lid is good. i like the craven cottage song. it's like sim city music.

peter broderick is not half bad.

dunno the rest. except styrofoam but i've only got late stuff cause i was given all that due to ben gibbard song.

anyway. good looking indeed. i'll check it out once i wake up. i'm shattered now.

thanks! :)

The Gibbard song's on "Nothing's Lost", the one before that is also an AMAZING album. I prefer both of those to "A Thousand Words" (which I love, but fuck me, it's too upbeat for Styrofoam). He had a couple of albums (well and album and an EP) before that, which are a bit hit and miss, so just stick to the two I suggested.

Explosions In The Sky I suggest (which will probably be rubbished by a lot of EITS fans) "The Rescue" which you used to be able to get for free on their website (not sure if you still can) and the "Friday Night Lights" soundtrack. The tracks on these are shorter than their usual songs on their usual albums. Or just dive straight in at "The Earth Is Not a Cold Dead Place" if you fancy it. :shifty:

As far as music about history goes --

Million Dead. You might well know them already, but they were a fantastic post-hardcore band who dealt with a lot of political and historical themes. Some rarities from their pre-LP days with an historical bent include "Come on, Sharon" (about the Sabra/Shatila massacres); "The Edison Address" (dealing with the history of music as a revolutionary instrument); "I Am Become the South" (basically an analogy comparing the relationships between the First World and Third World and the individual and the state -- some historical references); and "Reformulating the Challenge to Archism" (includes a kind-of semi-rap about formative contributors to anarchist thought).

Their first full-length includes "I am the Party" and "Charlie and the Propaganda Myth Machine", both of which contain references to Eastern Europe under Soviet hegemony. There's also "Relentless", a song about the very pitch and yaw of historical transformation -- also includes some references to 9/11. The album ends with "The Rise and the Fall", which refers to the evolution of the Eastern Roman Empire.

Their second album features more casual/glancing historical refs -- from the Icarus-Daedalus story to the Sorbonne riots and a bunch of points in-between.

Billy Bragg. Sure you know about this guy. "Between the Wars", "Days Like These" (both U.S. and U.K. versions), "The World Turned Upside Down", "Nicaragua...", "The Internationale", "Jerusalem", "A Pict Song", etc..

Minutemen. Some good stuff that was then somewhat contemporary and now feels historical. "Vietnam" (guess the topic there), "Untitled Song for Latin America", "Joe McCarthy's Ghost", "Song for El Salvador", "West Germany", "The Politics of Time".

Probably some other bands too...

Edited by Emperor Fuckshit

I'll second Billy Bragg and EITS. My favourite EITS albums are All Of A Sudden I Miss Everyone and Those Who Tell the Truth Shall Die, Those Who Tell the Truth Shall Live Forever.

EDIT Also Earth's The Bees Made Honey In The Lion's Skull is kinda atmospheric.

Edited by Dr. Cloudy Venkman