Billy Talent 'III'

Liam

So, I remember when Billy Talent released 'II', there being a topic lauding it as the awesome CD that it was, and it swallowed some none-believers in along the way (i.e. me) and converted me to a BT fan. Now, I just wanted to see what people thought of 'III', which was released a week or so ago, since I've not really heard much about it from anyone on here.

I liked Billy Talent I and II. They weren't particularly great or anything but still good solid albums. This Is How It Goes, Try Honesty, River Below, Devil In A Midnight Mass, Falling Leaves and quite a few more are all songs that I still enjoy listening to.

However, I can't get into the third album at all and I don't think it is due to any stylistical change towards something more consumer friendly (as has been the opinion of quite a few people) because I can enjoy pretty much any style of music. I just think that more than anything, the songs are just lacking in quality. Turn Your Back is awesome, but apart from that it's pretty dire and nondescript. Rusted In The Rain was a crime against music.....

...in my opinion

Edited by Cnut the Great

I have added "in my opinion" because I don't want to make you feel bad. :P

I really really didn't like it though. Not really my thing. I heard Turn Your Back ages ago and I was all like this album is gonna be awesome. Then I heard Rusted In The Rain months later and was like...maybe not.

Edited by Cnut the Great

I like it, but it's not a patch on II. It might well grow on me, but the earlier albums didn't need to, first listen lead to repeated playthroughs straight away, with II I don't think I've played any one track more than three times.

Edited by Dragonzord

Guest Mr. Potato Head

Meh.

Hoping it grows on me (most music seems to, so it's a definite possibility), but definitely my least favourite BT album thus far.

Far too watered-down in my opinion.

Really not enjoying this. My feelings towards it are also not helped by the fact as it leaked at a very similar time to an outstanding Alexisonfire album and a shockingly good Taking Back Sunday album. There's too much mid-tempo stuff...and lots of the songs sound quite similar to past tracks. Only about 3/4 songs I enjoy on it.

I've had it on my computer for a couple weeks now but I haven't gotten around to giving it a listen. Might be able to sometime this weekend though, I liked the first two albums so I'm hoping for the best but with the shitty reviews I've heard I'm not expecting too much.

It's alright, not great, not terrible. Devil On My Shoulder, Diamond On A Landmine and Turn Your Back (I prefer it to the version with Anti-Flag though there isn't a lot of difference) are the stand-outs for me with Saint Veronika and Tears Into Wine being the worst.

There wasn't any that stood out on first listen, but having gone through three times now there's some stellar tracks and some mediocre but not poor tracks, just like I and II.

Devil on My Shoulder, Rusted from the Rain, Tears Into Wine, The Dead Can't Testify, Turn Your Back and Sudden Movements have all been stuck in my head over the last weekend, I'd say half an albums worth of standout tracks is more than enough for me.