Carling Cup Thread 2009/2010

Adam

Looks like we're going 4-5-1 tonight with Rooney up on his own. Nani and Giggs start at Valencia's expense. Also Rafael at RB instead of Brown which is a surprise too. Would have liked us to start with two upfront really especially with us a goal down, but Fergie plays this system in all our big matches so let's hope it pays off today.

No injury time for either facial injury or constant breaks in play to talk to the players then?

Sky will only point out the 'unjust' injury time that Utd get. A minute was ridiculous. Can't wait for the 'Fergie time' chants at the end. We're owed 3 minutes already.

Onto the game, and City have been the better side by far. Utd are hoofing it to Rooney in the hope he beats both CB's and Given. It's all good forcing corners, but we haven't scored from one in ages, partly down to what appears to be a 'play it to the front post' tactic, because that's where they're all going.

I was confident earlier, but not as much so now.

We need to bring on a striker desperately. Rooney is just completely isolated. The long balls up aren't working because there's no support up there, yet that's all we can do because the midfield is too congested. For the first time in ages we have a full-strength bench so it can only be a matter of time before Berbatov, Valencia or Owen is introduced.

Did you not see the lighter thrown at Evra in the first leg? What our fans did was shameful, but to act all morally superior is a bit hypocritical.

This.

I shouldn't have doubted United, but I really didn't see that coming in the second half. Venables was saying how the midfielders were able to get further forward in the second half, which ultimately got us our goals.

Obviously, winning the Carling Cup would be great and so would getting a measure of revenge against Villa, but even if we do win, I won't feel as good as I do tonight.

@The General

What do you mean? We are not guranteed a win at all, Villa beat us at Old Trafford and we got lucky with the Macheda goal last year.

The second you see a team play Manchester United in a cup match... your interest in the match is completely destroyed.

There's an incredibly sour taste in the mouths of the neutral fan, for the prospect of a City - Villa match would be far more competitive than a Villa - United match. City and Villa would be competing for their first trophy in X years as opposed to Manchester United getting a scrappy 1 - 0 win and add another trophy to the pile.

As a neutral I had the image of a final that would be visibly entertaining and meaningful. Manchester United haven't done entertaining finals for over a decade.

Edited by The General