Carling Cup Thread 2009/2010

Adam

Last season's Carling Cup runners-up Tottenham will travel to Championship side Doncaster Rovers in the second round of the Carling Cup.

Meanwhile, big-spending Manchester City face a trip to Crystal Palace, West Ham host fellow Londoners Millwall and Bolton tackle Tranmere.

The draw did not include the Premier League teams involved in European competitions this season.

Ties will be played in the week commencing 24 August.

Holders Manchester United as well as Chelsea, Liverpool, Arsenal, Aston Villa, Fulham and Everton join the competition in round three.

Huddersfield manager Lee Clark will take his side to the north east after being drawn against his former club Newcastle.

Sunderland travel to League One Norwich in a repeat of the 1985 final.

The draw for the second round of the Carling Cup:

West Brom v Rotherham

Norwich v Sunderland

Tranmere v Bolton

QPR v Accrington

Bristol City v Carlisle

Leyton Orient v Stoke

Port Vale v Sheffield Wednesday

Hull v Southend

Leeds v Watford

Cardiff v Bristol Rovers

Portsmouth v Hereford

Crystal Palace v Manchester City

Wolves v Swindon

Gillingham v Blackburn

Blackpool v Wigan

Southampton v Birmingham

Preston v Leicester

Newcastle v Huddersfield

West Ham v Millwall

Hartlepool v Burnley

Nottingham Forest v Middlesbrough

Reading v Barnsley

Swansea v Scunthorpe

Doncaster v Tottenham

Peterborough v Ipswich

So, now the Premier League teams have joined the draw, I thought it best to create a new thread! I'm looking forward immensely to our tie at home to Tottenham, in my opinion the biggest draw available at this stage of the tournament. Although it would've been nice to take on Man City in a repeat of 2005/06, especially as we've just knocked out the other new 'rich boys' in the country.

So, are you happy with your team's draw? Will you be going to the game? Or are you already out of the competition!?

Nice news about Spurs coming here :) Adam, how mch dya reckon tickets would go for? If there are any available what so ever..

Normal prices would apply I reckon. I don't know what they are though, being a season ticket holder. If you're interested in going, check out the Keepmoat website or the official DRFC website.

Tickets will go on sale for a period of time to season ticket holders & members only, then when they go on General Sale you'll be able to get some. Might wanna be quick though, I can imagine most of our 6800 season ticket holders will wanna go and there'll be about 11000 tickets available in the home end.

• 1 month later...

Good to see Crouchaldinho getting on the scoresheet for Spurs.

United's youngsters did alright out there, Welbeck scored a good goal assisted by Owen while Gibson and De La Et were very impressive. Fabio's challenge was cynical and there's no way you could complain about the sending off

Joshua King looked alright when he got a run out as well, I am looking forward to seeing them at the next round of the Carling Cup, when is the draw for that going to be?

Watching this live, so I'll edit the draw in as it comes.

It gives me something to do... :shifty:

Fourth Round Draw

Blackburn v Peterborough

Manchester City v Scunthorpe

Tottenham v Everton

Barnsley v Manchester United

Chelsea v Bolton

Sunderland v Aston Villa

Arsenal v Liverpool

Portsmouth v Stoke City

I think the tie of the round should be obvious...well, okay, it's either Arsenal/Liverpool or Barnsley/United, depending on what it is you want from a cup tie. I'm just glad that Chelsea are at home so that I can go to the game. >_>

• 1 month later...

Hmm, thinking about the Quarter Finals a little bit in advance...

Aston Villa

Blackburn Rovers

Manchester United

Portsmouth

Tottenham

Chelsea/Bolton

Arsenal/Liverpool

Manchester City/Scunthorpe

...I could easily see Chelsea going out in the Quarters (if we beat Bolton), unless we get really lucky and draw maybe Portsmouth or...Scunthorpe. >_> Since Ancelotti seems to have taken the (not unusual) view that the Carling Cup is a suitable vehicle to give games to the likes of Fabio Borini, Sam Hutchinson etc. Certainly anyone who might think that our B-team could beat Arsenal's or Manchester United's B-team would be deluding themselves.

Not that I'm saying we should be throwing our A-team out for the Carling Cup - but they're the cheapest and easiest way for me to rack up loyalty points so...let's go all the way! :shifty:

Back to tonight: part of me hopes it'll be quite entertaining, albeit not in the scary way that we almost threw away a 4-0 lead against them in the league last year. But then it's the Carling Cup. So it'll be a 1-0 dullfest.

Now that I've said all that, Ancelotti's only gone and named his entire line-up in advance...

Hilario

Belletti

Ivanovic

Alex

Ferreira

Ballack

Deco

Malouda

Joe Cole

Kalou

Sturridge

Subs