Carling Cup Thread 2009/2010

Adam

Positives:

- Kyrgiakos. Looked comfortable, slotted in alongside a set of defenders (and keeper) he'd never played with before. Looks like a decent 4th choice.

- Plessis starting to resemble a footballer again :o

- Degen. What the hell happened there?

- N'Gog. Some lovely touches, competed with two experienced defenders and should've had an assist to his name.

- Aquilani :w00t:

- Insua's goal. Can see him and Johnson hitting around five each this season.

- Wasn't a bad game to watch. End to end at times and both teams played some really good stuff.

Negatives:

- Kuyt. Looks absolutely shattered, was the first time I've ever seen him giving up on balls and not chasing them down. Could've done with a rest, was disappointed to see him start.

- Spearing. Not convinced at all, easy to look good charging around like a headless chicken when you're at home and 3-0 up, but in competitive games he's looked out of his depth. Anyone that has said he'd be better than Lucas needs to have a word with themselves.

- Babel. Utterly, utterly useless. Want to know why he's not playing? Watch that game again. He was anonymous against a second/third string, disorganised defence despite being given ample time in his apparently 'favoured' role as a striker.

Positives:

- Kyrgiakos. Looked comfortable, slotted in alongside a set of defenders (and keeper) he'd never played with before. Looks like a decent 4th choice.

- Plessis starting to resemble a footballer again :o

- Degen. What the hell happened there?

- N'Gog. Some lovely touches, competed with two experienced defenders and should've had an assist to his name.

- Aquilani :w00t:

- Insua's goal. Can see him and Johnson hitting around five each this season.

- Wasn't a bad game to watch. End to end at times and both teams played some really good stuff.

Negatives:

- Kuyt. Looks absolutely shattered, was the first time I've ever seen him giving up on balls and not chasing them down. Could've done with a rest, was disappointed to see him start.

- Spearing. Not convinced at all, easy to look good charging around like a headless chicken when you're at home and 3-0 up, but in competitive games he's looked out of his depth. Anyone that has said he'd be better than Lucas needs to have a word with themselves.

- Babel. Utterly, utterly useless. Want to know why he's not playing? Watch that game again. He was anonymous against a second/third string, disorganised defence despite being given ample time in his apparently 'favoured' role as a striker.

Agreed. Babel was once again poor. Degen was amazing and really should've bagged a goal.

Of course I want Spurs v anyone else in the final.

vs Man City would give a good "battle of the wannabes"

vs Arsenal needs no explaination

vs Man Utd would be time for revenge

vs Chelsea would be Chelsea's revenge

vs Portsmouth would be the two teams who won the cups 2 seasons ago but with Harry on the other side

vs Aston Villa is always a good match - plenty of English players

vs Blackburn would probably be the game that wouldn't interest me except for Carling Cup history from 10 years ago

Blackburn v Chelsea

Manchester United v Tottenham

Portsmouth v Aston Villa

Manchester City v Arsenal

Yay for missing United/Spurs/City/Arsenal having to take each other out. Boo for Chelsea being drawn away from home, thus forcing me to save money. :shifty:

All things considered, that's a great draw for Chelsea. Now if we draw Portsmouth/Villa in the semis, we will have officially passed into the realm of Ridiculous Good Luck.

Blackburn v Chelsea

Manchester United v Tottenham

Portsmouth v Aston Villa

Manchester City v Arsenal

Yay for missing United/Spurs/City/Arsenal having to take each other out. Boo for Chelsea being drawn away from home, thus forcing me to save money. :shifty:

All things considered, that's a great draw for Chelsea. Now if we draw Portsmouth/Villa in the semis, we will have officially passed into the realm of Ridiculous Good Luck.

:lmao:

I still love the fact people continue to doubt the Villa, it will make the victory even sweeter.

I don't doubt Villa.

I do however place them marginally below United/Arsenal/City/Spurs in my estimations. That's not really a criticism.

Plus, you know, the next time Chelsea face Villa they're clearly going to go all "RAAAARR" and perform some kind of revenge battering for the league loss.

• 1 month later...

City 3-0 against Arsenal.

Blackburn 2-2 with Chelsea so far, and Chelsea have used up all their subs, with Kalou off injured so they're down to 10 men.

Villa Vs winners of Blackburn / Chelsea

Man Utd VS City

Edited by ONO