Carling Cup Thread 2009/2010

Adam

I have no idea why Vidic wasn't booked and he probably should've gone, but the fact that Aggy was forced wide just before he was brought down and as Dowd blew his whistle and awarded the pen, there were about 3 United players sprinting into the box, with Evra at the front of them.

It was fortunate, but I don't buy into "the ref has purposely conned us" argument at all.

Get over yourself, babe. The ref was shocking. No card for Vidic, then two bookings for Villa players.. then Rafael makes two tackles, badly, gets a warning, Feltch gets a warning.. etc.

No one is saying "we woulda won with Vidic off!" 'cause we don't know. But the rules are the rules, are the rules. & we deserved the game to be played how it should of been, which is with Vidic in the dressing room. So you coming in here to stir the pot is just a bit pathetic really.

Where about in Manchester you from? Oops, nevermind.

Oh, I get it, you think I am am Manchest United supporter, hahaha, wow, well that was a laugh.

I am not I am a long suffering Grimsby Town supporter :(, its just you guys were 1-0 up and had 85 more miuntes to score further goals to win a game, you didn't and your performance in the second half was disappointing and you rarely troubled United. On the day Villa weren't good enough, and I agree that the refereeing was sub-par.

Hard to win a game when the Ref is wearing a United shirt.. :) Oh well. Fuck paid-off referees. Can't bring us down, we're the mighty Villa.

We might not be able to bring you down, but it seems you can't win any silverware :/

5th most successful club in England, but nope, we've never won anything. :o

Still haven't won anything in 15 years :/

Dunno bout you guys but Vidic dis say something that got me thinking. He said he was "infront of Gaby" when he brought him down. Did that made any difference as to why he never got red carded?

If goal keepers miss the ball and go straight through the player they get sent off it its stops a clear goal scoring opportunity, hence it shouldn't make any difference.

Heavy tackles from behind should always be considered for red cards, but just because a player is in front of the guy he is blatantly fouling makes absolutely NO difference.

Get over yourself, babe. The ref was shocking. No card for Vidic, then two bookings for Villa players.. then Rafael makes two tackles, badly, gets a warning, Feltch gets a warning.. etc.

No one is saying "we woulda won with Vidic off!" 'cause we don't know. But the rules are the rules, are the rules. & we deserved the game to be played how it should of been, which is with Vidic in the dressing room. So you coming in here to stir the pot is just a bit pathetic really.

Where about in Manchester you from? Oops, nevermind.

Oh, I get it, you think I am am Manchest United supporter, hahaha, wow, well that was a laugh.

I am not I am a long suffering Grimsby Town supporter :(, its just you guys were 1-0 up and had 85 more miuntes to score further goals to win a game, you didn't and your performance in the second half was disappointing and you rarely troubled United. On the day Villa weren't good enough, and I agree that the refereeing was sub-par.

Hard to win a game when the Ref is wearing a United shirt.. :) Oh well. Fuck paid-off referees. Can't bring us down, we're the mighty Villa.

We might not be able to bring you down, but it seems you can't win any silverware :/

5th most successful club in England, but nope, we've never won anything. :o

Still haven't won anything in 15 years :/

Oh haahahaha I get it, you thought the first reply was to you, it wasn't. Wow, that was a laugh.

Never said we'd won anything in 15 years, doesn't change the history.

I've heard the "Gabby was moving wide of the goal arguement." It's bullshit. The shirt grabbing started when he was head on, he moved to the side to slip past him, and was ready to shoot, from in front of the goal.. so it was certainly red. The ref just bottled it because it was 5 mins in, had it been 35 mins, it probably would have been different. Who knows? Doesn't really matter.

• Like 1

If goal keepers miss the ball and go straight through the player they get sent off it its stops a clear goal scoring opportunity, hence it shouldn't make any difference.

Heavy tackles from behind should always be considered for red cards, but just because a player is in front of the guy he is blatantly fouling makes absolutely NO difference.

Then maybe what Baddar pointed out earlier (where 3 defenders were already back and Evra was infront of them) was the reason Vidic was not sent off.

Yeah, Evra was behind play and so were the other defenders. I just meant that when he blew his whistle and pointed to the spot, he was met by covering United players. There's no way any of them could've stopped a shot being taken, I know, but I'm sure they were drumming the fact that they could into Dowd's ear at the time. >_>

As I said, don't think it helped that it was in the first five minutes.

True. I remember Jeff Winter talking about the Millwall/Man Utd FA Cup final a few years ago when Dennis Wise should have been sent off really early on. Winter said he didn't show him red though because he didn't want to be remembered as the referee that ruined Millwall's FA Cup final.

It shouldn't come into a referee's thinking, but it seems to for a lot of them.

(sorry for being pissy before Summsy :( )

As I said, don't think it helped that it was in the first five minutes.

I think this is everything to do with it...

If it had happened outside the first 20 minutes it would have been a red-card

If you're talking about "referee thinking" just make sure Andy Gray doesn't hear you.

It annoys me every single time he comes out with the "if that was outside the box, that's a foul" argument. Andy, I know you're right, but you say it every fucking game and it hasn't gotten you anywhere yet. :/

Letter of the law, the guy has to go.

Now, personally, I've always thought that law can be rather harsh (especially when you see what Beletti got sent off for on Saturday) depending on the nature of the foul, but that is irrelevant. The rules said he should have gone, so he should have gone.

And even if he didn't, why not a yellow? At least that would mean he'd have to be a little more careful with any subsequent challenges.

Villa were a bit of a letdown all in all though. Really wanted them to win, but they didn't capitalise on a really good start, and Man U are Man U.