Sequel Songs

Benji

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not sure if they count as 'sequel' songs, as such, but here's a few.

It's been a little while since I've listened to it, but a good majority (if not all) of "We Have The Facts & We're Voting Yes" by Death Cab For Cutie is about the same guy. Also "Cath..." (while awesome) is just a newer, poorer version of "Company Calls Epilogue". :shifty:

"Travels" by Defeater is a story about some guy who killed his family and stuff, and is denied forgiveness from God (or something vaguely like that, can't be arsed to get into the finer details). Their forthcoming EP is also going to be stories of a homeless man introduced in the song "Prophet In Pain Clothes".

"Winter's Daughter" by RickoLus..."Winters Daughter" tells the tale of Maryn Winter, who is the daughter of the season winter, and Emory Tate, the boy who woke up the sun.

"Angry Johnny & The Radio" and "Wherefore Art Thou, Elvis?" by The Gaslight Anthem seem to be linked. The best description I've heard of it are they are both about Brian Fallon's wife, which does kind of make sense.

...I used to know loads of this kind of shit...grrrr. My mind's blank.

Anyone remember the tracklisting for the Murder Trilogy by the Killers? I know it involved Midnight Show, and I think Jenny Was a Friend of Mine from the first album along with a B-side, and was basically the story of a murder. Remember when the Killers weren't shit?

Yeah, the 3rd album was fucking awesome. The first was all singles (and "Jenny..." and maybe "On Top" at a shove) with the rest being wank, the 2nd was eugh ("Bling...", "When You Were Young" and "For Reasons Unknown" are the only songs I like).

Yeah, the 3rd album was fucking awesome. The first was all singles (and "Jenny..." and maybe "On Top" at a shove) with the rest being wank, the 2nd was eugh ("Bling...", "When You Were Young" and "For Reasons Unknown" are the only songs I like).

To be honest I didn't buy the third based on not liking the second or the singles from the newie, but I think my major problem with the Killers is that they responded to the accusations of the first album sounding loads like Shed Seven by making sure nothing else they ever did sounded like Shed Seven, forgetting that Shed Seven were awesome.

In closing, go listen to Shed Seven.

* The Ramones - Judy Is a Punk/The Return of Jack & Judy

* Chubby Checker - The Twist/Let's Twist Again

* Buddy holly - Peggy Sue/Peggy Sue got Married

* Bon Jovi - Living on a Prayer/???

Can't remember the others now but I know Bo Jovi have references Tommi and Gina from this several times on later albums

* Iron Maiden - ???

Again can't remember the titles but they referenced a hooker called Charlotte (i think) in several songs.

* David Bowie - Space Oddity/Ashes to Ashes

Ashes to Ashes, tells the story of what happenned to Major Tom from Space Oddity

* The Who - My Generation / Generation X - Your Generation

Generation X (Billy Idol + others) aparently mae the claim that The Who were out of touch even by th time of My Generation.

* Meatloaf - Two out of Three / Elvis - I Want You I Need You I Love You

A bit tenuous this one but my mate in the office reckons he heard Meatloaf say in a documentary that he always wanted to use the lyric "I want you, I need you, But I don't love you" (ended up as "I want you, I need you, But there aint no way i'm ever gonna love you") after hearing and hating the Elvis song.

* American pie

References a ton of other songs, not sure if youd include that though.

* The Streets - A grand don't come for free album

Is a bunch of songs all about the same group of people, so slightly different again. Green Day's American Idiot album had tracks that lead into one another ass well liek a story although it was more a collection of shorts in literary terms.

* Eminem - Anything about his family

In fact lots of rap/hip hop musicians have doen this as well but he is the most prominent.

Scroobius Pip - The First Time I Met Musik (later turned into a DLS/Pip song called The First Time We Met Musik.. though the two are almost identical lyrically) was later sequalised in Unspoken Word Poetry (The Second Time I Met Musik).