UEFA Champions League 2009/10 Thread

stokeriño

That's rather stupid.

The article gave me a good laugh, with Eduardo still trying to deny diving and then saying there was contact and all. If anything, this will lead players to believe they can eventually get away with it. It was a dive, I don't see why they cant stick to their decision really.

Because UEFA were asked if they would start banning all divers across Europe in the same way and they were forced to admit that no, they wouldn't.

They may be acting as though they've reassessed the evidence, but really they're just taking the easiest route out of the deep hole they dug for themselves.

Funny how when it was deemed a two game ban (which is stupid since it's just a bookable offence in play) referee's were suddenly spotting them left right and centre. Bet there won't be many dives spotted now it's been overturned again.

If diving was a sending off offence in the match then I can understand it, but it's a bookable offence and suddenly when it happened every manager would be saying how "such and such dived" so he should be banned and all this. For the most part diving is a subjective decision anyways, running at top speed like these players do means going down is more likely from less contact and dependant on the build of the player and the like etc., it's not really stonewall. That said Eduardo dived, the next week Rooney technically didn't dive but knew he was going to go down regardless to get the penalty against Arsenal and McGeady's was just comical.

What I don't understand is how certain things are bookings, diving is a booking. Taking your shirt off to celebrate is a booking. An intentional trip on an opposing player is a booking. And if you play for Fiorentina then punching a Sporting player in the face is also just a booking. These are all apparently at the same level of punishment, and so is telling the referee he's a useless wanker. It's all a bit baffling but at the same time you couldn't pay me to be a referee and do their job so I'll just sit at my PC and type I think.

Ugh, well thanks UEFA, doesn't that send out the right message. Obviously you're not going to be able to ban everybody who dives week in week out, because you'd be there for years looking at replays since there's just so many fucking cheaters. But if you at least start with banning a few (whose opponents complain directly to UEFA like Celtic) then it would discourage others from doing the same and it would make your job a bit easier. But no, you bottle it and just pretend it never happened. Cheers UEFA, we're stuck with diving for the forseeable future then.

Im just thinking, has a Scottish team ever advanced to the knockout stages of the CL? Rangers have a really good chance of making it through here

In recent years we have had Rangers (05-06), Celtic (06-07) and Celtic again (07-08) reach the knockout stages of the CL. Although I do think Rangers should be aiming for the UEFA cup spot this year, as their team isn't up to much.

The Liverpool goal was coming.

The Arsenal thing was odd, and you could probably tell that's what their entire gameplan evolved around (frantically try and net two before they regroup) I expect Arsenal to equalise then score another one or two for good measure.

Rangers have no chance against Stuttgart, and now can't even play the defend 90 minutes way of playing).

I'm just surprised that it's still 0-0 at Barce-Inter. Unless of course Ibrahimovic actually CAN'T score Champions League goals

I'm even more amazed at how shit the ITV commentary was last night. What amazed me was that Liverpool players went down looking for a penalty about three times, only for the commentary team to basically shrug it off nicely. Then, Coulibaly got that chip over the top late on and Reina came rushing out. The striker made a mess of it and tried to sort of lob it into the net, but got muddled up. The commentary team proceeded to then tell us five times that he was apparently looking for a cheap penalty, which is a complete and utter joke, as he simply tried a shot and lost his balance in the process. Fuck Peter Drury.

Also, I expect Barca/Inter to be much different in the Nou Camp. I'd be surprised if Barca didn't pick up the three points there.

Edited by JohnnyPerfect

The Liverpool goal was coming.

The Arsenal thing was odd, and you could probably tell that's what their entire gameplan evolved around (frantically try and net two before they regroup) I expect Arsenal to equalise then score another one or two for good measure.

Rangers have no chance against Stuttgart, and now can't even play the defend 90 minutes way of playing).

I'm just surprised that it's still 0-0 at Barce-Inter. Unless of course Ibrahimovic actually CAN'T score Champions League goals

:rolleyes:

Funny how they nearly won the game, Stuttgart started off at 100mph and they were never going to be able to keep it up.

Funny how they nearly won the game, Stuttgart started off at 100mph and they were never going to be able to keep it up.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing, especially after they looked awful after 10 minutes <_<

But yeah I'll admit I was wrong, but I guess my prediction of a Scottish team getting humbled DID come true.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing, especially after they looked awful after 10 minutes <_<

But yeah I'll admit I was wrong, but I guess my prediction of a Scottish team getting humbled DID come true.

You can't say you predicted Celtic to lose away, everyone knows that's a certainty. :lol: