David and Goliath

Dan

Didn't manage to see the fight but from the sounds of it, it was what I expected. Still at least now he can put Heavyweight Champion next to his name and fight some of the lesser opponents in the division and make himself look good. I'd like to see him go against either Klitschko but Haye will know he'd get destroyed so I don't see that happening.

Didn't manage to see the fight but from the sounds of it, it was what I expected. Still at least now he can put Heavyweight Champion next to his name and fight some of the lesser opponents in the division and make himself look good. I'd like to see him go against either Klitschko but Haye will know he'd get destroyed so I don't see that happening.

Haye had signed a deal to fight Wladimir Klitschko in June this year before pulling out, and he has been relentlessly chasing a fight with Vitali for over a year now. Both Vitali and Haye expressed a strong desire to fight one another on a radio show earlier today, although both men have mandatory defences of their respective belts before it could happen.

Actually in interviews he's talking about unifying titles and in order to do that he'll have to fight them...and if he does I hope he wins cos the heavyweight division needs a shake up and the titles need to be wrestled away from Eastern Europe.

I doubt he'll fight them this soon though. I have the feeling he might wait a couple of fights and then go for one when they are a few years older. Vitali would beat Haye comfortably at the moment whilst Wladmir would be a closer fight but Wlad would be favourite. If Haye just holds it off a couple of years, Vitali will be pushing 40 and Haye would stand a much better chance. The payday for fighting one of them will mean he will eventually do it, I just think Haye's clever enough to wait a while.

It will definitely not happen immediately as Haye has a mandatory defence against John Ruiz lined up, and Vitali will be fighting Kevin Johnson next month. I would guess that the time it takes Haye to fight Ruiz, taking into account the fact that his hand may be broken at the moment, would allow Vitali to fit in another defence if he wanted to. After that, as long as both men keep winning as expected, a match would surely be on the cards.

Honestly, though, I agree that he would be an underdog against both Klitschko brothers. I believe that a fight between Haye and Wlad would be 60/40 in Wlad's favour, whereas Vitali would be a much, much tougher task than many people suggest. He may not quite be on the same level as Lewis, Holyfield and Tyson during the 90s, but Vitali is possibly the most underrated boxer in the world right now. Both he and Wlad are usually tarred with the same brush as the sleep-inducing Eastern European heavyweights that make up most of the heavyweight division, but both would probably be megastars if they were American.