The Inevitable January Transfer thread '10

Crybaby Bunting

So we lad Hutton and once again fail to sign Al-Muhammadi for the second window in a row. Why are teams so difficult to negotiate with?

A lack of a left back and still no real pace on the wings is a bit worrying but hopefully with Hutton in and Nosworthy, Murphy and Healy nowhere near the team having been loaned out we can get something going.

Surprised about Keane going to Celtic actually, bit of a shame.

Nice business in this window. Moses has gone to Wigan which I'm really excited about, seems they've done some decent business that could really help get their season back on track hopefully. Same could be said for West Ham, should be interesting to see how these changes help these two.

Edited by JohnnyPerfect

Someone tell me why Keane was bought back fro Liverpool for millions of pounds just to let him go on a loan somewhere half a season later? It shows how retarded Tottenham's transfer policy is the last few years in particular. Keane gone, Keane back. Kaboul gone, Kaboul back (he was at Spurs before right?), Defoe gone, Defoe back. Buy 3 strikers when you already have Pavlyuchenko, then buy another one this window, as if Gudjohnson is better than Keane. And why is Redknapp going after David James all the time while Spurs already have Gomes and I doubt James wants to play second fiddle? Just a lot of things Tottenham does doesn't make sense to me...

Edited by The Quasi Juice
  • Like 1

Someone tell me why Keane was bought back fro Liverpool for millions of pounds just to let him go on a loan somewhere half a season later? It shows how retarded Tottenham's transfer policy is the last few years in particular. Keane gone, Keane back. Kaboul gone, Kaboul back (he was at Spurs before right?), Defoe gone, Defoe back. Buy 3 strikers when you already have Pavlyuchenko, then buy another one this window, as if Gudjohnson is better than Keane. And why is Redknapp going after David James all the time while Spurs already have Gomes and I doubt James wants to play second fiddle? Just a lot of things Tottenham does doesn't make sense to me...

You realise our transfers have been handled by different people in the last couple of seasons? Damien Comolli was the idiot who sold the likes of Keane and Defoe. Redknapp has brought back some of the quality players we sold and pleased the Spurs fan base in doing so. Just look at the difference, from relegation battle to scrapping for a Champions League place. Sounds like it's working to me.

Pavlyuchenko's a good striker. Defoe, Keane and Crouch are better. Just because you have a good player doesn't mean you shouldn't look for an even better one, unless settling for mediocrity is your thing. Pavlycuhenko, Bent and Frazier Campbell wasn't exactly the most thrilling strike force.

As far as I've heard, we've made no move for David James. Redknapp said in an interview that he would just be second choice behind Gomes anyway so it didn't make sense to make a move for him. We have made approaches for other goalkeepers but it's only for a back-up with Cudicini out for a while and the alternatives looking fairly dire.

You realise our transfers have been handled by different people in the last couple of seasons? Damien Comolli was the idiot who sold the likes of Keane and Defoe. Redknapp has brought back some of the quality players we sold and pleased the Spurs fan base in doing so. Just look at the difference, from relegation battle to scrapping for a Champions League place. Sounds like it's working to me.

Pavlyuchenko's a good striker. Defoe, Keane and Crouch are better. Just because you have a good player doesn't mean you shouldn't look for an even better one, unless settling for mediocrity is your thing. Pavlycuhenko, Bent and Frazier Campbell wasn't exactly the most thrilling strike force.

As far as I've heard, we've made no move for David James. Redknapp said in an interview that he would just be second choice behind Gomes anyway so it didn't make sense to make a move for him. We have made approaches for other goalkeepers but it's only for a back-up with Cudicini out for a while and the alternatives looking fairly dire.

I know different people bought and sold different players, but that's Tottenham's problem. They should have looked at the long term instead of changing ship so much. Yes the team is doing great at the moment, but does that really justify spending all that money? Also, what I meant with "they had Pavlyuchenko and bought 3 strikers extra" is that is Pavlyu that shit that he can't be the third striker? Buying Keane again was completely unnecessary.

• Like 1

I would say Keane was brought back by 'arry mainly for motivational reasons. Spurs had been dreadful up till he took over and it was all part of his turning the club round thing.

Keane's motivating factor was one of the big reasons why we went on such a great run after Christmas last season. Defoe was out injured and Keane stepped in, scored a few and took on the captaincy week in week out. Great motivator.

Also, Tottenham spend money yeah, but they're also one of a handful of clubs in England that actually make a profit year on year. Spurs are run like a business and have been since the days of Alan Sugar. There's a salary cap in place and we regularly sell on players for big profits (like Carrick and Berbatov). Tottenham made a £5mil "profit" on Keane and I'd imagine half of Harry's raiding of Kaboul is that we're not really paying for him, just wiping off debts that Portsmouth owe Spurs. If Portsmouth go under then will Spurs see the money otherwise? Unlikely.

Kranjcar for a couple of million was the best deal of the summer.

Give Kaboul a few games here and there and we can sell him off for more than we'we paid Portsmouth for him (i.e. zero).

Spurs fans were overjoyed to get Defoe back (I remember it in the news and I was overjoyed), Keane's return was great (although somewhat marred by the circumstances) and Chimbonda, while hated, was brought in as cover then sold on again when we'd strengthened properly.

I'm kinda excited still with Harry in charge. He's brought in some tough players and some flair players. Tottenham play stunning attacking football at full flow. Against Birmingham for most of the match it was a joy to watch (Bentley showed us some of his best) and with Lennon charging down the right and Defoe making runs through the middle it's beautiful.

My only worry is his insistance on playing Huddlestone. He was awful against Birmingham, barely completing a pass and wasting speculative through ball after through ball. I'd rather Gudjohnsson was tried out in his place or play Modric AND Kranjcar (a midfield of Palacios, Lennon, Modric and Kranjcar would probably be the best mdifield I remember Spurs having).