Bloodstock Open Air: 2010

DFF

2010 marks the 10th Anniversary of Bloodstock (apparently), and they are apparently making a big announcement on February 1st regarding one of their headliners. Now, 'big' for Bloodstock could just be getting someone like Immortal, who fans have been clamouring for for years, or it could actually be a pretty big band (Megadeth and Judas Priest have both been rumoured for the Sunday headline slot).

With the announcement coming up soon, and that some bands have already been announced, I thought I'd start up the thread like I did last year.

I'm guessing it'll be the same layout as last year (ie, a Main Stage and an Unsigned Stage, as well as an ad-hoc area for acoustic stuff).

Announced so far:

The Ronnie James Dio Stage (Main Stage)

Friday

Opeth

Meshuggah

Behemoth

Sonata Arctica

Gorgoroth

Ensiferum

Rage

Ross The Boss

The Black Spiders

Snakebite

Saturday

Children of Bodom

Fear Factory

Devin Townsend

Amorphis

Obituary

Edguy

Onslaught

Evile

Leaves' Eyes

Andromeda

Sunday

Twisted Sister

Cannibal Corpse

Bloodbath

Gojira

GWAR

Korpiklaani

Doro

Holy Moses

Suffocation

Bonded By Blood

Sophie Lancaster Stage

Friday

Powerwolf

Collapse*

Enforcer

Hospital of Death

Steelwing

Sylosis

Saturday

Benediction

Desecration

Mordecai

Of No Consequence

Regardless of Me

Sunday

Killing Machine

Purified In Blood

The Prophecy

Witchsorrow

Bloodstock Unsigned Stage

Friday

Arceye

Betraeus

Credit to Dementia

Grieve

Lordaeron

Morgue Orgy

Senturia

Shrapnel

Splintered Soul

Tempestora

Under Blackened Skies

Saturday

Achren

Aghast

Burn the Hive

Echoes Fall

Flayed Disciple*

Lithurgy

Reism

Silas

The Whores

Zocalo

Sunday

Core Project*

Extreme Od

Furyon

Hekz

Ishmael

Mutant

Neonfly

Old Corpse Road

Orestea

Stone Circle

Traces

I quite like the line-up thus far, but it could definitely use a little something. Here's hoping for some more folky and power stuff (Tyr and Kiuas would be nice).

EDIT: Latest bands announced marked with an *, and headliners in bold

Edited by DFF/WFS

Kiuas again would be AWESOME! Bloodstock '07 (possibly '08, I forget) was the first time I'd ever heard of them, and they rocked my socks off. So now that I actually know their stuff, seeing them live again would be awesome.

Also, is it just me or is Saturday's lineup absolutely shit? They'll probably get a few bands like Wolf and Freedom Call on in the morning/early afternoon which would be cool, and obviously it's nowhere near complete or final, but so far there's nothing at all to interest me on Saturday. I'll probably stay in the camp and get stoned like we did on the Friday last year (which wasn't really planned, and was quite annoying because we missed Saxon, but everyone else we literally couldn't have cared less about except maybe Katatonia).

Sunday looks good, and obviously Friday has Dream Evil, so... win.

But yeah, so far this year... not really fussed musically. I'll be going anyway, for the beer and the good times.

Edit: Just looked it up, Kiuas were at '07, on the Thursday along with Firewind and Testament, which is definitely the most unexpectedly spectacular night of my life so far (I'd only heard of Testament previously, and now Kiuas and Firewind are solid top-five bands of mine. Apollo had a sore throat that night so the guy from Metallium did vocals for Firewind, and he was great. Though he looked like a fat Jorn Lande. ¬_¬)

Edited by Farmer Reil

Also, is it just me or is Saturday's lineup absolutely shit?

All comes down to taste. Fear Factory are good live, back with a better line-up and an apparently good new album, Devin Townsend would always be worth a watch, as probably would be Obituary.

For me though, it'd be all about Behemoth on Sunday.

A mate and I listened to stuff by most of the bands announced the other day, and I quite liked Devin Townsend, Amorphis, Leaves' Eyes, and Doro. Gojira (whilst not quite my kind of thing usually) were quite good too. And I already know of the awesomeness of Korpiklaani.

Apparently Ensiferum are meant to be touring in the summer playing some festivals - Bloodstock would seem the perfect place for them.

I really doubt I'll go, but that's one of the better metal festival line-ups I've seen this year - I'd gladly pay to see Heavy Devi, and wouldn't say no to seeing Doro, Korpiklaani, Cannibal Corpse, Gojira or GWAR either - wouldn't be too fussed about a lot of the rest, though I'd probably go see Suffocation and Behemoth given the opportunity. So...pretty much the Sunday. Don't care for Fear Factory or Bodom, and I must have missed the memo that said "people care about Rage now".

Sonata Arctica have been added to the Friday, which pleases me. Not a massive fan of Unia, but Days of Grays isn't too bad - and their early stuff rocks the cock.

Bloodstock are teasing a big announcement on the 1st February. I'm reckoning it's that they've nabbed The Scorpions on their retirement tour as a headliner. What do you guys reckon?

...and their big announcement was Heaven & Hell will headline the Sunday. Not a band announcement at all for the size of the festival. I tell you what, to say the guy has cancer, Dio is sure going for it.

This is literally just round the corner from me (in fact my band actually played the festival one year, terrible experience, won't go into detail) but the fact that I'm so out of the loop with 'metal' bands coupled with my general dis-interest in metal in general means I'll probably give it a miss.

I have a few friends in bands trying out for the unsigned stage, and a lot of friends I imagine will be going as fans too so I may even get dragged along.

Edited by Laid_To_Waste

• 2 weeks later...

Couple of things to report on this front:

Firstly, they have announced three more bands. UK band The Black Spiders, black metal legends Gorgoroth, and death metal super group Bloodbath have all been added to the Friday. Unfortunately, Dream Evil have had to pull out.

Secondly, Bloodstock announce their Friday headliner tomorrow!

I've heard a little of TBS and they seem decent enough. I couldn't care that much about Gorgoroth, but I know a lot of people will like the announcement. I do quite like the Bloodbath announcement - a super group made up of Opeth/Katatonia? Yes please.

More bands added! And it's a fucking awesome announcement:

Final Headliner is TWISTED SISTER!

Also announced: ENSIFERUM and EDGUY!

*Does a happy dance*

Twisted Sister is going to be quality, they are headlining the Friday yeah? Id have thought they'd be playing the final night like Europe.

Not that it matters...its Twisted fucking Sister! :D

To be honest, I'd count Heaven & Hell as bigger and more special (Sabbath w/ Dio > Twisted Sister). Still, I'm knocking knocking TS at all - if Heaven & Hell weren't there I'd have fully expected them to be closing.

I've ordered the tickets for me and a mate of mine. It'll be his first festival, and I can tell he's a bit up for it - he told me to buy a ticket after Korpiklaani were announced. I pointed out at the time that, given their billing at that moment, that he could be paying £100 for 25 minutes of music - and he just said: "It's Korpiklaani." :-D

I think we'll probably get a few lesser known acts to pad out the bottom end of Saturday and maybe one more moderately sized band.

• 3 weeks later...

Onslaught, Snakebite and Holy Moses have been added.

Going on the line-up of BOA 08 & 09, there should be 1 more band each on Friday and Saturday and 2 more on Sunday - plus the entire second stage line-up is yet to be announced. :)