Gorillaz - Plastic Beach

Herr Matzat

Finished my third listen earlier today as I got the album in the mail. Second time I liked it a lot less but then the third time it grew on me again. Only tracks right now that I really feel are outright expendable are "Rhinestone Eyes" and especially "Sweepstakes," which is probably in my bottom three Gorillaz songs to make a main album (other two are "Man Research (Clapper)" and "Intro" if intros count).

Favorite songs right now are "Superfast Jellyfish," "Empire Ants," "Plastic Beach," "Pirate Jet," and "White Flag" mostly for the gorgeous Lebanese music.

This is, I don't want to say bad, but it's definitely not a catchy album, thus far it's been a lot of extremely unique (for a mainstream album) tunes that I can see myself listening to as a whole album, but there's been no stand out tracks that I would say were stand out beyond simply being better than the rest of the album.

Having said that, most of my favourite Gorillaz tracks were growers and the catchy songs started off favourites but fell down the rankings after a month or so, so I'm hoping it's an album full of "better than they seem" tracks.

EDIT: Found a stand out track, "On Melancholy Hill".

G-CLUB GORILLAZ SHOWS: TICKETS ON SALE FROM TOMORROW!

Ahead of Coachella - the Gorillaz band will open up rehearsals to audiences at a number of specially selected venues in the UK.

Only members of the newly launched G-Club are eligible to buy tickets, which go on sale tomorrow.

Tickets are on a first come first served basis for all G-Club members; to ensure as many members as possible get the chance to attend, the ticket purchases are limited to 2 per person.

DATES ARE:

21st March - Portsmouth Wedgwood

22nd March - Bristol Trinity

23rd March - Cambridge Junction

25th March - Brighton Old Market

26th March - Birmingham Irish Centre

27th March - Lincoln Engine shed

.E-Ticket rules

Tickets are sold on a first come first serve basis to G Club members only. Tickets are £15 with a £2.50 booking fee. Tickets are limited to 2 per member. Please note you will not receive a physical ticket, we will be email an E-ticket. E-Tickets will need to be printed-out at home and brought with you to the show. The purchaser of the ticket must attend the event with valid photo ID which matches the name stated on the e-ticket, both you and the other member of your group must turn up to the event at the same time and enter the event together.

I asume member Numbers will rise a lot faster now. 17,50 is a great price if you ignore the fanclub membership fee.

Aaaaaand down goes the Site. They have not even fixed my login yet. :shifty:

Edited by Michael Matzat on a Plane

Finished my third listen earlier today as I got the album in the mail. Second time I liked it a lot less but then the third time it grew on me again. Only tracks right now that I really feel are outright expendable are "Rhinestone Eyes" and especially "Sweepstakes," which is probably in my bottom three Gorillaz songs to make a main album (other two are "Man Research (Clapper)" and "Intro" if intros count).

Favorite songs right now are "Superfast Jellyfish," "Empire Ants," "Plastic Beach," "Pirate Jet," and "White Flag" mostly for the gorgeous Lebanese music.

Really? Sweepstakes and Rinestone Eyes are two of my favourite tracks. I think I really dig this album. I agree on the lack of standout singles, which Demon Days had, but I think the album, as a whole, is far superior to Demon Days. It's really growing on me.

Really? Sweepstakes and Rinestone Eyes are two of my favourite tracks. I think I really dig this album. I agree on the lack of standout singles, which Demon Days had, but I think the album, as a whole, is far superior to Demon Days. It's really growing on me.

I might have to retract my statement on "Rhinestone Eyes" a bit. I just don't like the opening or the recurring verse that 2D sings. The actual production once the song gets going is pretty cool. Maybe "Broken" replaces it on the expendable track section because that one kind of bores me. I'm standing by my dislike of "Sweepstakes," though, I prefer my hip-hop to be either more chill or a lot less meandering, which I really felt "Sweepstakes" was. It's a three-minute song in a five-minute song's body.

I think I've listened to the album like ten to fifteen times, though. I love Gorillaz albums because it's rare for albums to have the kind of replay value that those do for me.

A week later, I was right, a lot of tracks were growers - but I still prefer to listen to the album almost as a whole than single songs. Particular stand out tracks are "On Melancholy Hill" (still), "Superfast Jellyfish", "Stylo", "White Flag", "Sweepstakes", "Plastic Beach" and "Pirate Jet/Pirate's Progess", though not in that order. "Sweepstakes" was the first one to really grow on me, very busy track that I found myself moving to without even realising.

Just got it today - picked up a new iTunes card this morning and ordered the Deluxe version. The only song I don't like is Glitter Freeze (listening to On Melancholy Hill right now), though I'm not too fond of Sweepstakes, either. If I burn the album to cd or put it on my Mp3 player, Glitter Freeze is definitely getting left off.

*edited because I finally finished listening to it; was only halfway through when I made this post*

Edited by GhostMachine

Finally listening now. "White Flag" is friggin' great and is very close to passing "El Mañana" as my favorite Gorillaz song ever.

"Stylo" has way grown on me--it's not a barn-burner like "Feel Good Inc.," but I instinctively started bobbing my head when it came on, which is good. And of course "Superfast Jellyfish" is terrific.

And "On Melancholy Beach" makes the first choice of single even more confusing, since it's as good a pure pop song as the band has ever done. This is really, really great--it's on par with Demon Days for sure, but both albums come from such different directions that I'm not sure which one I like better.

Through it now. Fuckin' A. Agreed on "Sweepstakes"--actually, most of the hip-hop here doesn't work as well as on the other albums aside from "White Flag" and "Superfast Jellyfish." Favorite tracks are (in order) "White Flag," "On Melancholy Hill," "Cloud of Unknowing," "Superfast Jellyfish," and "Empire Ants."

I definitely want to check out more of Little Dragon's music after listening to this album, because both songs they are on are two of the best tracks on it. But is it just me, or does it seem like Empire Ants is actually two different songs jammed together as one?