Euro 2012 Qualifying

stokeriño

Might eventually become the official Qualifying thread, once the World Cup's out of the way...

GROUP A

Germany

Turkey

Austria

Belgium

Kazakhstan

Azerbaijan

GROUP B

Russia

Slovakia

Irish Republic

Macedonia

Armenia

Andorra

GROUP C

Italy

Serbia

Northern Ireland

Slovenia

Estonia

Faroe Islands

GROUP D

France

Romania

Bosnia

Belarus

Albania

Luxembourg

GROUP E

Netherlands

Sweden

Finland

Hungary

Moldova

San Marino

GROUP F

Croatia

Greece

Israel

Latvia

Georgia

Malta

GROUP G

England

Switzerland

Bulgaria

Wales

Montenegro

GROUP H

Portugal

Denmark

Norway

Cyprus

Iceland

GROUP I

Spain

Czech Republic

Scotland

Lithuania

Liechtenstein

Great draw for England. The rest of the UK is fucked though. >_>

I'm very hopeful with our draw. Slovakia and Russia are very beatable, while the other 3 will be whipping boys. If we play like we did against France again and not be fucked over this time, I see us getting at least 2nd spot.

I was sure I created a topic on this >_>

But yeah, Scotland are utterly fucked, Norm Iron less so... but they have a habit of being utterly destroyed away.

Wales vs England should be good. In two years time Wales might actually be the team they have potential to be, and with England currently relying on players hitting the late 20s/early 30s, it could be very interesting to see how they fare.

Sweden and the Netherlands in Finland's group? Nice.

Even though there's little chance we'll get through, it'll be great to see all the Dutch stars in our Olympic Stadium, plus the "derby" with Sweden should have an amazing atmosphere. :)

Fuck sake, Scotland shafted yet again. Italy AND France in the 2008 qualifying and now Spain and Czech Republic. Christ, I'd even have taken England over Spain. And literally any of the other pot 2 teams over Czech Republic. Oh well, let's hope Levein and the boys can pull some magic out of the bag.

The guys on Five Live talked of how the Czech Republic were a shadow of their former strength, still awaiting a new generation of stars and viewed with undue fear primarily on the basis of past reputation.

I didn't buy it. And if I did, it still wouldn't keep them from beating the likes of Scotland. :shifty:

I think our group could have been a lot easier-Switzerland are a solid side, they always make the finals of these tournaments. Bulgaria also tend to qualify sometimes as well. We should be able to win with relative ease, but you never know.

They've reached 3 European Championships in the history of the Cup, last time 'cause they hosted it. :/

I'd say that looking at the most recent qualification record would be a better measure than rating a team over the history of a cup. As such, we can see that Switzerland have qualified for each of the last four major tournaments (2004, 2006, 2008, 2010) which, even discounting 2008, would at least make them a contender; albeit not a real threat to England at any rate.

Contrariwise, Bulgaria have only qualified for one tournament in the last 10 years (Euro 2004). If they even make much more than a vague push for 2nd I will be astonished.

Switzerland isn't that bad of a counter-attacking team, it's just in most of the matches I've seen of them they are playing a team that also favours the counter attack... resulting in the ball being in the middle of the field for about 87 minutes until someone scores.

Inler and Behrami could neutralise most attacks... but surely if we can beat utterly defensive teams like Andorra comfortably, we should be able to beat Switzerland by the odd goal or two.

The battle for 2nd place should be wonderful with Switzerland, Bulgaria and Wales all having a good chance of making it through.

Some tricky games for England there. Switzerland and Bulgaria will be very stern opposition. Is it first place goes through + playoffs, or top two? I think we have enough quality to win the group but it'll be hard, only Wales and Montenegro can be considered easy games.

Is it first place goes through + playoffs, or top two? I think we have enough quality to win the group but it'll be hard, only Wales and Montenegro can be considered easy games.

Group winners and the best 2nd-placed team qualify automatically. The remaining 8 teams who finish 2nd go into the play-offs.

Fuck sake, Scotland shafted yet again. Italy AND France in the 2008 qualifying and now Spain and Czech Republic. Christ, I'd even have taken England over Spain. And literally any of the other pot 2 teams over Czech Republic. Oh well, let's hope Levein and the boys can pull some magic out of the bag.

I know Stokerino mentioned about it, and said he didn't buy this, but seriously, the Czech Republic aren't that good anymore, and are definitely beatable.