Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World

TKz

I went into this movie super-hyped, having read exactly half of the graphic novels - and I was absolutely blown away. Everything was perfect - I mean the first half of the movie, save for a fight scene here or there was exactly word for word from the book and it was done in such a faithful way... I mean, this really has put me in a good place with movies again. Instead of sighing whenever I hear that something I might possibly like will be made into a movie, I can now have a teensy bit of hope that they won't entirely drop the ball. Even the last portion of the movie can have its changes clearly described as needed and reasoned away anyways with the fact that the books hadn't all came out when filming started.

Everything I wanted to see from the books made it in, everyone played their roles to perfection.. I just can't say enough good stuff about Scott Pilgrim vs. The World. If you liked the movie, go pick up the novels and seriously don't wait on it - they are friggin' amazing as well.

For sure this is my movie of 2010 and the way I am putting it right now, it's in my top 5 of all time - give it some time and I am sure it'll stay that way.

Also, Kieran Culkin was the standout in my opinion.

Oh, yeah. In terms of the cast, Kieran Culkin was easily the best part. He took one of the best comic relief characters in comic books in Wallace Wells and owned that role. But god, most of the cast is exactly as I would have imagined them being in the comics. The exception is Michael Cera as Scott Pilgrim, but it's not that he's bad in the part at all, it's just not what I imagine Scott Pilgrim to be like (someone said that the perfect casting for Scott would have been Topher Grace a decade ago, and I agree with that).

Yeah - I mean you think of Cera and you think of a character who DOESN'T think that he's cool, etc. so when I read the comics I thought.. hmm, that's odd. I figured Cera Light, aka Jesse Einsberg would be better in that kind of role after seeing Zombieland/Adventureland.. but really it ended up working in the end and Cera pulled it off, which is something he really needed to do.

• 2 weeks later...

After hearing that my friends where gonna see it today, I tagged along and holy shit this has got to be my pick for movie of the year. I loved the comics and the game is great stuff, but the movie was just fantastic. I'll admit, the ending was a bit... iffy, but I thought the same about volume 6. Nothings perfect, but this is probably the closest you'll get with movies this year, maybe Toy Story 3 could take that role as well, depending on taste. Either way, great fun to watch, if you haven't seen it yet, you should. If only to see the Universal logo in 16 bit.

WHY IS THIS MOVIE FAILING FINANCIALLY?

Probably because it is only uber-awesome to people with a very specific culture within one particular generation. Everyone else generally goes "What...? This is stupid".

Not to mention when people see Michael Cera, it turns them away from the movie. Not sure why, but I've talked to at least a dozen people who called it an "emo" film, without seeing it, just because Michael Cera is starring in it.

But most of them are the same people who like to watch Jersey Shore, so.

I would have thought that any 'emo' association would have come via the main girl and/or the first evil ex...

Because, you know, emo/punk/goth/anyone wearing black/etc. = interchangeable as far as these people are concerned.

Someone said "surprise, a fringe movie for fringe audiences wasn't a hit." And it's, sadly, true. People expected more from the movie financially because the internet (Scott Pilgrim has been the #1 trending topic on Twitter on a fairly regular basis over the last couple weeks) has once again tricked us into thinking that there's more people intending to see the movie than there actually is.

And Michael Cera absolutely is a factor. I've seen knee-jerk comments everywhere (including here) dismissing the movie because he's the lead. I mean, honestly as far as the cast goes I think he's the one who I would recast first (as a fan of the comics he was never who I envisioned as Scott Pilgrim), but it's still really unfortunate because this movie really has his most convincing performance I've seen in terms of proving that he doesn't just play timid and awkward.

Yeah. I have no doubt it's going to end up turning a profit. It's definitely the first film in a while where I feel like I absolutely want to own the DVD, and ultimately I think it's going to be a cult favorite in the same way that, say, a mid-'90s Kevin Smith movie is where it doesn't really matter that the box office returns was underwhelming.