Deadliest Warrior season 2 starting soon

GhostMachine

Not to mention the Jesse James guys had an unfair advantage. The James Gang experts were world class gunfighters, who looked to be maybe early to mid 30s. The Capone guys were 60 year old historians. Not to mention the horseback vs car test was a complete moot point as those factors didn't even come up in the test.

I also think that the pistol whip vs brass knuckles was an unfair test because the strikes were at two drifferent angles. The pistol whip was a downward strike which of course will be more effective than a sideways strike, as you have more momentum behind it.

I love the mafia guy's retort: "Who the fuck uses a fucking pistol whip? It's a fucking pistol, use it like a pistol". My favorite line besides Yakuza's Zero Kazama's "While you're looking at these I'll break your face with my foot!" and the Attila guys "DECAPITATIOOOOOOOOOOOON!" (Brutal Legend for the win; also, Zero Kazama is an AWESOME wrestler name...)

The fight scene was fucking rediculous. The James Gang guys grabbed all their shit from fucking -mueseum exhibits-. I find it hard to believe the exhibit had a rifle that was -loaded- on display. Preserved to being usable is one thing, but for fucks sake, why was the rifle loaded? At least they had to actually put bullets in the revolvers... not to mention Capone looked fucking incompetant in that beatdown, wasn't three shots with the knuckles supposed to be enough to kill? He did like, at least five clean shots and didn't get a kill.

If anything, the ballista showed the difference between Alexander the Great's weapons and Attila's. Alexander the Great's weapons were killers, but were much more flashy than practical in mass combat. Attila's weapons weren't fancy but got the job done, and could kill more rapidly and precisely than Alexander's.

The show can be interesting but it's not always believable and I can't really put my finger on it. For instance, they always have 2 people representing one team, but what if one team has people who just aren't that good at using their guns while the other team is much more skilled, while in actuality the guns they are using are less effective if both teams were evenly skilled....if that makes sense.:pervert: Also, why do teams get different targets, how is this fair? Like with James/Capone, when they tested the knives, the Capone Gang had a human target and the James Gang got a pig or something, which is more round thus harder to take a stab at. They gave the advantage to the Stiletto because it managed to hit between the ribs, but the Bowie knife could have done the same surely. It also sometimes seems like they just give the team that's down a point/the advantage for a certain weapon type, just to make the show more interesting.

Edited by The Quasi Juice

Quasi, in the Spetsnaz vs. Green Beret episode, the Spetsnaz pretty much got the advantage with the pistol because the GB shooter was lousy. I think the Makarov might have still gotten the advantage due to its holster that takes the safety off when the gun in drawn, but we'll never know.

And I love how they test armor during battles yet ignore it when awarding the edge sometimes and during the results, like during the Knight vs. Pirate episode. No way Pirate would have won if they had taken the flintlock and grenado's ineffectiveness vs. armor into consideration. (I can sort of forgive them for ignoring the blunderbuss misfiring the first time)

I wish the show was on the History Channel, because I have no doubt that if it was it would be more accurate.

To be fair though, that Spetsnaz guy (Sonny, I forget his last name) is the kind of badass you usually only see in movies. Out of every 'expert' in the show, he's the guy who really makes me think "Man I would not want to piss that guy off".

To be fair though, that Spetsnaz guy (Sonny, I forget his last name) is the kind of badass you usually only see in movies. Out of every 'expert' in the show, he's the guy who really makes me think "Man I would not want to piss that guy off".

Definitely. Hell, I gave the Spetsnaz the advantage just due to their training, which is nuts. People getting injured or even dying while undergoing training to be Spetsnaz is EXPECTED! (His name is Sonny Puzikas, by the way)

But I found the pistol demonstrations (due to the GB shooter's performance) and the Green Berets being given an E-Tool as their special weapon (Its a folding shovel that can be used as a weapon, NOT an actual weapon) make things a bit iffy. Its all good, though, because in a grenade or sniper fight between the two sides, the Russians would get OWNED.

I watched a show about Snipers on either History International or the Military Channel, and Sonny was on it, too. He was talking about a hostage situation that happened a few years back involving terrorists that the Spetsnaz ended up dealing with, if I remember right.

(The only expert they've had that I think I'd like to run into in a dark alley less than Sonny Puzikas would be Snake Blocker, one of the Apache experts from Apache vs. Gladiator.)

Oh, and I found out what weapons they're using in Aztec Jaguar vs. Zande Warrior, and they're using one Aztec weapon I was hoping they would: the Macuahuitl. I expect nasty things from it. Its basically a sword-shaped wooden club with razor sharp obsidian blades embedded into the side; can cut like a saw when its removed from a victim, and the blades can also break off and stay stuck in a victim. (Basically think an even nastier version of the Maori's Sharktooth Club, since the broken pieces of Obsidian would be harder to get out of a victim than the shark's teeth) The Mayans used a similar weapon, but their's was shaped more like an actual club than a sword.

Awesome episode. Very close results, and one of the few eps so far where I didn't see one side being more favorable than the other.

Next is SS vs Vietcong, and well, I don't see SS winning this at all. History tells us SS will fall victim to superior tactics.

..yeah, after Alexander vs. Attila I deleted all the other episodes that I had downloaded so far. I know that some of the tests have been a little odd and one sided in the past, but I really didn't get the reasoning behind a lot of the stuff that they did this time. That, and the amount of padding that they do in an epiode - meh, it doesn't seem to use all that 21ST CENTURY SCIENCE that they brag about in the intro.

Well if you don't count the pressure pads, the accelerometers, the chronometers, the anatomically correct ballistics gel torsos, and of course the computer program that the show's entire premise is built around....

The only real questionable thing about that episode IMO was the ballista vs axe comparison. The Gastophetics/Hunnic Bow and the two swords were essentially two versions of the same thing, and even the spear vs lasso were at least kind of similar (both used on horseback to use momentum to help aid the lethality, generally one-use weapons in battle).

These shows are nearly always positioned to create a 2 advantages versus 2 disadvantages situation - and I get it, because it creates good television.. but it clearly isn't the best for creating proper results. Yeah - they use pressure pads, all of the stuff that would be included under that 21ST CENTURY TECHNOLOGY heading that I noted... but some of the tests are STILL contrived.

On tonight's episode:

So that's how the Nazis would win- tactics and terrain mean jack fucking shit.

I kind of figured as such with the Spartan eps (Would a Ninja REALLY go one-on-one with a Spartan?), but this fight pretty much confirms it.

Fight scene was arguably as contrived, or possibly even more contrived, than the James/Capone one. While James gang had the dumbest luck ever in their scene by getting their weapons... with the rifle fully loaded... from a fucking museum exhibit, the Nazi's didn't go balls out with their flamethrower (either meaning the truck that the flamethrower was found in was abandoned and the remaining SS lucked out in finding it, or they didn't think a flamethrower wouldn't be useful in a jungle enviroment, both are questionable IMO) they also somehow managed to get the drop on the Vietcong (HUH?!) and the SS POW apparently didn't put the VC on edge (HUH?!) as there was no lookout, AND the POW was uninjured and unbounded (HUH?!). At least they bothered to explain how the POW got a pistol.

Which leads me to think the fight scene was the luckiest SS squad ever vs the stupidest VC squad ever...

On tonight's episode:

So that's how the Nazis would win- tactics and terrain mean jack fucking shit.

I kind of figured as such with the Spartan eps (Would a Ninja REALLY go one-on-one with a Spartan?), but this fight pretty much confirms it.

Fight scene was arguably as contrived, or possibly even more contrived, than the James/Capone one. While James gang had the dumbest luck ever in their scene by getting their weapons... with the rifle fully loaded... from a fucking museum exhibit, the Nazi's didn't go balls out with their flamethrower (either meaning the truck that the flamethrower was found in was abandoned and the remaining SS lucked out in finding it, or they didn't think a flamethrower wouldn't be useful in a jungle enviroment, both are questionable IMO) they also somehow managed to get the drop on the Vietcong (HUH?!) and the SS POW apparently didn't put the VC on edge (HUH?!) as there was no lookout, AND the POW was uninjured and unbounded (HUH?!). At least they bothered to explain how the POW got a pistol.

Which leads me to think the fight scene was the luckiest SS squad ever vs the stupidest VC squad ever...

They almost never factor tactics or terrain (or even training) in, so that was no surprise.

Still not the most contrived ending to a fight, though. That would be Pirate vs. Knight, where the Pirate won due to the Knight's stupidity and the fact the Knight didn't even try to move or get up while the Pirate crawled around, grabbed a flintlock, crawled back and shot the Knight in the face....because the Knight was too damned dumb to leave his visor down after having already been shot at earlier in the fight. (The ending really should have been the Knight seemingly having the drop on the Pirate, only for the Pirate to grab a blunderbuss - not a flintlock - the Knight doesn't see nearby and shoot him in the chest, not a flintlock to the face while lying flat on his back)

Spoiler from tonight's episode:

I expected the POW to be an extra soldier and either get shot in the head (sparking the assault) or be rescued, not escaping and being an actual squad member. I'm just glad they didn't pull off any of that two winners surviving crap like they did in Capone gang vs. James gang, though it could have been somewhat justified. That should only happen in major asskickings, and Capone vs. James was too close for that.

The Asian barbecue ending was pretty need, though. But Max said it all; the worst bad guy won.

*edit* I consider Spartan vs. Ninja and Pirate vs. Knight to be the weakest episodes of the series. Spartan vs. Ninja was a stupid match-up and Pirate vs. Knight was complete and total bullshit from start to finish. (They tested most of the Pirate's weapons on plate armor....then completely ignored the armor in the results, when the blunderbuss was the only one that wasn't completely useless against the armor) Al Capone vs. Jesse James was also weak, due to: a. It being touted as Al Capone vs. Jesse James (ie, a one on one fight) not a gang squad battle, and the fight itself being a load of crap due to the set-up alone. (And two surviors from the winning side when all the other squad battles have only had one winner with bigger margins of victory? Please!)

Worst offense they've had on the show, outside Knight vs. Pirate? Giving Alexander the Great a friggin' Ballista as a weapon in a 1 on 1 fight.

Edited by GhostMachine

Also side note... is it just me, or do they -really- need better flame effects if they're going to have any more flamethrower weapons? Everything else is high-quality stuff but the flamethrowers look like something out of an 80s movie.

Also side note... is it just me, or do they -really- need better flame effects if they're going to have any more flamethrower weapons? Everything else is high-quality stuff but the flamethrowers look like something out of an 80s movie.

Oh, that's not the only bad effect they've had. In the Out For Blood special, which aired to kick off season two

they did a IRA vs. Spetsnaz battle, which not only had bad flamethrower effects, but also had a badly done effect when an IRA member got his head blown to pieces by a closeup shotgun blast

. Glad I missed the other half of that special - the ancient warriors showdown - because I've seen people call major bullshit on it, and after reading some things about it I can see why.

Sorry, but

no way a Spartan beats a Samurai, even without figuring training and skill in. Kanabo strike = broken shield arm, so the shield would be removed from the equation right there, and I'm pretty sure a katana could slice through bronze, considering a katana is the sharpest sword there is. And Katana vs. spear is no contest since the spear would end up being a staff.

, so I'm glad I didn't see that portion of that special.

Re: Out for Blood, Ancient version

My thoughts exactly. Hell, the spartan spear -broke- on Samurai armor. The spearhead got bent and the edge of the shaft cracked. The armor? Paint got chipped, and that was with a clean hit. No way would the shortsword beat that same armor.

I'm not too surprised here. The Scorpion that the Centurions had was just...awful. Yeah, it would suck to get hit by it, but with a range of 50 yards or less, 40 second reload time, and the fact that they'd be on you in 4 seconds... <_< . I particularly loved how the Centurion guy said "This is mechanized warfare! :D" and the Rajput responded "Well, this isn't mechanized warfare. This is one on one :angry:"

Centurion: :mellow:

So, yeah. The Centurion got his ass kicked. I think it was 616 kills for the Rajput.

So far for Season 2 final match ups, discounting the Zande Warrior (For a lack of armor), if it went down to Attila and the Rajput, I think the Rajput would win. Rajput vs Spartan...I don't know, I think it's a toss up.

Next week we get Somali Pirates vs the Medellin Cartel. Yawn <_<.

Nah, if Spartan fought again, I'm sure they'll find a way to fudge the data so the LOL BRONZE SHEILD!!! guys win...

No surprise with this weeks ep, though I'm pretty surprised only the whip-sword was tested against the sheild.

Pirates vs Cartel next? Hell no wonder they didn't announce it post-credits... still, maybe we might see something new that ends up being cool.

So bare with me, I don't remember the names of the weapons, but the first round the Roman's weapon got the edge because it had a longer reach than Rajput's awesome claws/knife thing, so they could dismember the Rajput before they would even be able to strike. However, the second round the Rajput had a longer weapon than the Romans so I was thinking...they can use both weapons right? So if the Rajput would never be able to reach the Romans, they would use their long sword, then up close use the claws. This show is very narrow minded, they just put two weapons together and hardly ever think about how a weapon could work more effectively in combination with another one.