RIP Supergrass

METALMAN

awful shame. they were my favourite band when I was like 8. I've never actually listened to any of their albums but their Best Of proves that there was no better singles band in the "Britpop" scene. What I found most endearing about them were that they were a fun band that weren't afraid to take the piss out of themselves, which was a bit of a relief at a time when the likes of Blur and Oasis were taking themselves far too seriously. It's possible that their career suffered for it.

Anyway, it is a bit sad. With Oasis, Pulp, Blur and so many others gone, Supergrass were really the last major band from that movement. And now they are dead.

• Like 1

:(

This took me by surprise. Last time I checked they were on the brink of finishing their next album, and that had been in production for about a year.

I definitely agree with metalman about their 'Supergrass is 10' Best Of collection. It blows Blur's singles collection and the couple from Oasis out of the water, and this is coming from a band that changed their style from album to album. 21 songs of perfection, at the expense of a prolonged stay in mainstream music probably. But their albums are also extremely strong, 'In It For The Money' and 'Life On Other Planets' being my favourites. I'm very sad they're splitting up.

Hopefully I can get to one of the farewell gigs in June, possibly the one in Manchester.

Somehow I missed their most recent album, but I can't think of a one that I didn't like.

I recommend it. 'Diamond Hoo Ha' is their weakest album, and a return to old influences after 'Road To Rouen', but stuff like 'Bad Blood' still rocks.

What I found most endearing about them were that they were a fun band that weren't afraid to take the piss out of themselves, which was a bit of a relief at a time when the likes of Blur and Oasis were taking themselves far too seriously. It's possible that their career suffered for it.

Considering what the entire Britpop era represented, it's strange that Supergrass seemed to be the only band that truly embraced the spirit of it. That's possibly down to how they were all barely 20 by the time that phase died down but I mean... The likes of Manic Street Preachers rejected it, Damon Albarn tried to insert utterly pretentious messages into easily decipherable songs like 'Country House', and Oasis were so far removed from fun and exuberance it's unbelievable.

I've never actually listened to any of their albums but their Best Of proves that there was no better singles band in the "Britpop" scene.

Nah, that was Ash. Even if they were Irish.

Bit of a strange one though, between side projects and alternative careers I'd always assumed Supergrass would be one of those bands that would just meet up and tour every few years, never announcing an official split. Bit of a shame really, but I'd not bought an album since Road to Rouen, which I truly dislike. Saw them for the last time last year and they were as good as ever, hopefully might not be the last of them.

I actually really liked Road to Rouen--it gets some flack for being the least Supergrass of all the Supergrass albums, but I was a fan. I wish it had three or so more songs on it, though--9 tracks when one is a goofy instrumental throwaway doesn't thrill me.

• 2 weeks later...

i bet supergrass is crushed that supergrass broke up :shifty:

It was indeed a crushing blow. Though not entirely unexpected. They should've stuck with what they'd been working on in the Road to Rouen era, the glammed up Supergrass on Diamond Hoo Ha was never really going to be a hit - the odd good single withstanding.

The dilemma is: go to Paris get drunk and watch the last gig? Or not? I went to Paris to watch another band's last gig...then they scheduled one more in London, don't think I want to fall for that one again.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Went to one of their farewell gigs in Manchester last night. A very enjoyable night, and an extremely long set comprising of 26 songs - four from every album, apart from I Should Coco which had six. I'll avoid posting the setlist in case anyone's off to the London or Paris gigs, although I can say that they will not be disappointed.

Such a shame they're splitting up, but it was pretty obvious from the band's chemistry on stage why they are.