Super Bowl 48 is coming to the Meadowlands!

sahyder1

I'm 99.999999999% sure I won't go to the game, but it'll be cool to see the Super Bowl in the new Giants Stadium. I hope that the elements are decent enough to make the game exciting. I've always been a fan of those brutally cold games late in the year at Lambeau, in Foxboro, Buffalo, Baltimore, Pittsburgh etc, and think it would be good to have teams have to adjust to the weather.

That's awesome news, delighted for New York. Seeing a Superbowl in cold weather will be great. Not that I can ever afford to go to a Superbowl, but New York at least is on the east coast and has affordable flights and makes it ever so slightly more possible :D

I wonder if any other cold climate big cities (Foxboro, Philly, Baltimore, DC) will now get Super Bowl bids together?

Of those I can realistically only see Washington getting it. Chicago would be another one who will probably get one down the line. I just don't think there is enough of a selling point for Philly, Foxboro or Baltimore.

They said this is a one time exception to the below 50 degree rule.

I believe today Goodell said that they are going to look at it as a case by case basis. I truly believe this will be a big enough success that the Super Bowl will actually return to the Meadowlands at some point.

Hopefully this Super Bowl finally shows the NFL it doesn't make a difference what temperature it is. I know it's cutting it close (since this is 48), but how fitting would it be for the NFL to put Super Bowl 50 in Lambeau? There are a lot of logistical issues that would need to be worked out, the chief one being the ability of Green Bay to support something as big as a Super Bowl. I just feel that would be so special, to put it in the undisputed cathedral of the NFL.

The few cities I can see getting a Super Bowl who also play in cold cities (and have outdoor stadiums) are DC, Philly, and Foxboro. Baltimore and Pittsburgh aren't big enough to justify an outdoor Super Bowl. Granted, given the size of Landover I don't know exactly how well the Redskins would be able to host a Super Bowl. Of the two stadiums in Maryland, M&T Bank is much more capable of hosting a large sporting event with it being in the heart of downtown Baltimore.

Hopefully this Super Bowl finally shows the NFL it doesn't make a difference what temperature it is. I know it's cutting it close (since this is 48), but how fitting would it be for the NFL to put Super Bowl 50 in Lambeau? There are a lot of logistical issues that would need to be worked out, the chief one being the ability of Green Bay to support something as big as a Super Bowl. I just feel that would be so special, to put it in the undisputed cathedral of the NFL.

The few cities I can see getting a Super Bowl who also play in cold cities (and have outdoor stadiums) are DC, Philly, and Foxboro. Baltimore and Pittsburgh aren't big enough to justify an outdoor Super Bowl. Granted, given the size of Landover I don't know exactly how well the Redskins would be able to host a Super Bowl. Of the two stadiums in Maryland, M&T Bank is much more capable of hosting a large sporting event with it being in the heart of downtown Baltimore.

I'd love to see SB50 in Green Bay.

Eh, for DC it wouldn't be an issue. From Baltimore downward into VA there's plenty in a close proximity to host a SB.

• Like 1

I'd love to see SB50 in Green Bay.

Eh, for DC it wouldn't be an issue. From Baltimore downward into VA there's plenty in a close proximity to host a SB.

I'm from there (Baltimore), and while everything is pretty close together it's more of a matter of the Baltimore stadium having everything around it whereas the Washington stadium is away from, well, anything fun. Think of Landover like the Meadowlands. Granted, since they're hosting a SB it makes any argument against FedEx having a SB moot. The entire region is very close together, but until you get to DC there's pretty shitty transportation. The Metro is fantastic though, could definitely handle the surge of people a Super Bowl would bring and then some. And it goes to Landover.

I'm kind of talking in circles, basically making pros and cons of a Super Bowl in either Baltimore or Washington. My current home (Philadelphia) is the best suited to host a Super Bowl though. Given the scope of the sports complex, there's so much the NFL could do with it. Transportation goes straight from Center City to Pattison, which makes hotels easy. Only conflict would be the two sports teams across the street. But with advanced notice, I assume the schedules could be moved around.

I sort of get the feeling that the main reason Jersey got the waiver this time was because of the new stadium. If they do another cold-weather city, it would likely have to be one that has just gotten a new stadium of its own that it would like to show off.

I sort of get the feeling that the main reason Jersey got the waiver this time was because of the new stadium. If they do another cold-weather city, it would likely have to be one that has just gotten a new stadium of its own that it would like to show off.

Or because it's New York City.

Foxboro would never have gotten it, even right after Gillette opened.

Really, what is the big deal about the 50 degree rule? It's weather people, they play in it all year long.

The only complaints I've heard about this come from spoiled, pampered reporters who want a week's paid vacation in a nice, warm climate. I don't see how it's OK to play in zero wind chill games for half of the season all the way through the Conference Championships, but then we must have the Super Bowl played in a dome or somewhere in the Southern US every year because people might get cold.

Yeah, I assume most of the people who want the 50 degree rule in effect are the owners/sponsors/investors/reporters who watch from the pressboxes or come around when the weather is nice and just want to party in the sun. On PTI Mike Wilbon seemed to be throwing a hissy fit when it was announced that it was going to be in cold weather.

They said this is a one time exception to the below 50 degree rule.

I've also heard that Goodell is adamant about not having the SB take place in Miami until there are some massive renovations done to that stadium.

Boooo, bring it back to AZ.

And yet it was just in Miami this year...