Mortal Kombat

zero

The game is brilliant [thanks Zero, Your post sold the game for me] but can be so annoying at times... The handicap matches are hard even at beginner difficulty, I'm currently stuck in the Challenge Tower where one has to beat Jax and Sonya with Reptile in 60 seconds... any advice? I'm out of ideas, getting demolished out there :P

Reptile's a beast once you get used to him, although Jax is an asshole too. I haven't gotten that far on the Challenge Tower yet though?

Speaking of annoying, the first Shao Kahn encounter in story mode is making me want to pull my hair out... and I'm bald.

Just bought it today. Story mode is pretty cool. I've always wished there was something like this in an MK game.

Does anyone know where I can read up on the story before this game? I've never really learned all that much about it, and I have no idea about a lot of what's going on.

Just bought it today. Story mode is pretty cool. I've always wished there was something like this in an MK game.

Does anyone know where I can read up on the story before this game? I've never really learned all that much about it, and I have no idea about a lot of what's going on.

The Mortal Kombat Wiki should help you out. I think there are spoilers for the new game in the final section though, so beware.

Bicycle Kick!

That fight is a bitch though, but I had to do it so many times, I got pretty familiar with Liu and could beat Arcade mode with him.

EDIT

And regarding the Secret Character's X-Ray, you gotta activate it in the air. Just unlocked him this evening.

Yeah, you definitely have to turn into playing like a little bitch to beat the bosses in this game. AKA, a normal Mortal Kombat game. Especially since you can't stagger your opponent and they will be able to disrupt a combo onslaught WITHOUT using a breaker. You either have to jump around them (cross jumps), teleport for characters that can, and spam ranged special attacks, etc. or a combination of all three things.

That said, you can fuck up Kahn's shit with Raiden once you get the timing down on the teleport and the flying slam thing. Kung Lao handles pretty well for those purposes.

I love the x-ray attacks for how brutal they look. Fatalities are expectedly AWESOME, although I haven't done really any of the stage fatalities. I'm so glad they included a fatality mode in training to make it easy for players like me that want to see what all of the regular fatalities look like. I do NOT regret purchasing this game.

Some great highlights so far.

BABALITIES being back in. Absolutely fantastic and a very unexpected surprise. I wish they had thrown Friendships back in as well, but that's fine.

Challenge Tower can be a bitch, as are the two on one matches in Story mode, especially any time Quan Chi is involved, that fuck.

I love Shang Tsung's fatality that let them recycle the Joker's intended fatality from MK vs. DC Universe

Yeah, Kahn is really easy to beat with Raiden, teleport and back kick is all you need. I just beat him with Stryker by spamming his gunshot, but if you lose the rhythm, Kahn will maul you. And then there's that fucking sledgehammer. Asshole.

One thing I miss is Choose Your Destiny. Ladder is fun and I don't fancy myself as someone who could plow through the entire MK roster and several endurance matches, but it would be fun to try.

One question: are those ending movies which one can get for beating Arcade mode mute for some fighters? I mean, there is no sound in both Cage's and Sektor's endings, there was some in Cyrax's... Just wondering if it is supposed to be like that, or if it's some kind of bug or whatever. Haven't finished the mode with different characters yet, just those three, and it struck me as something weird...

One question: are those ending movies which one can get for beating Arcade mode mute for some fighters? I mean, there is no sound in both Cage's and Sektor's endings, there was some in Cyrax's... Just wondering if it is supposed to be like that, or if it's some kind of bug or whatever. Haven't finished the mode with different characters yet, just those three, and it struck me as something weird...

No clue. I've only done it with Liu Kang and Raiden.

It looks like there is supposed to be sound, here is Sektor's ending in spoilers for people who don't want to see it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yLGObEecvCo

I haven't played this (yet) but I thought Sektor was supposed to be a robot. Why is he human at the start of this, at least?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yLGObEecvCo

I haven't played this (yet) but I thought Sektor was supposed to be a robot. Why is he human at the start of this, at least?

MK lore for dummies. Also, secret spoilers.

There's a clan of ninjas from Earthrealm known as the Lin Kuei. Sub-Zero has been one, Smoke has and a couple of other characters have too. Sektor and Cyrax were both Lin Kuei ninjas when they were human, and the Lin Kuei created a cybernetic modification procedure, aiming to create the perfect assassin. Sektor volunteered to undergo the process, Cyrax eventually was brought in, in one timeline Smoke became a cyborg against his will but in this game's timeline, thanks to Raiden fucking with it, Sub-Zero was the one who got abducted. At the start of story mode, Cyrax and Sektor are humans purely because they haven't gone through the cyberneticisation.

Relatedly, Cyber Sub-Zero looks fucking ace.

Picked this up and discovered that Mrs Lanky is a Mortal Kombat machine. Not sure she knows what she's doing but as Sonya she flys all over the place and prods buttock. Yet to perform a fatality, she panics and just hits button thinking she's going to be killed if she doesn't act quick.

Enjoying it so far in story mode too though not far in at the moment.

I was finally able to bring this home from the video store yesterday and played a bit. Story mode is fantastic. It's like watching a bloody movie. In fact, from what I've noticed, the story mode seems fairly spot-on with what happened in the first Mortal Kombat movie. I can't remember how similar that is to the first game, but I'm up to

Scorpion's fight with Sub-Zero in the nether-realm

, and everything prior to that character's part in story mode is almost straight from the film.

I hope story mode goes on for awhile, as it's the best way to experience Mortal Kombat that I've ever seen. Hopefully the next game will expand upon that with character specific stories, as opposed to bouncing around from character to character.