2010/2011 NBA Thread

jrtdot

Just a small 'noob' question, as this is my first NBA free agent period I'll really follow closely. (I'm Belgian, restarted to play basketball about a year ago and tried to follow the NBA season... big Lebron James fan (and Bosh fan too) so looking forward to see what'll happen).

Thursday is the opening of the trade window. In competitions and sports I know well (for example soccer) the start of the trade window doesn't really bring anything big to the table. The big transfers are made during the whole transfer time and a little bit more at the end. But what I understand from the anticipation to thursday... people expect Wade, Bosh & Lebron to sign with a team thursday allready?? Can I expect the big trades to be done in a week or will this also take months?

The biggest names will likely all agree to contracts before anyone can actually sign next Thursday. Teams won't be able to wait too long, because as each guy comes off of the board it becomes that much harder to get anyone else. Sign and trade deals will probably start to happen once all the "A-list" names are gone.

Edited by naiwf

I don't think chemistry is a problem for a Bosh/LeBron/Wade trio. They worked together just fine on Team USA and Mimai will have no problem finding talented guys willing to take pay cuts to sign with a team that has 3 of the best players in the league.

Pay cuts are one thing...having to take veteran minimums is something totally different. The guys who'll do that are the broken-down vets like Michael Finley, guys who've been whoring themselves out for rings for years already.

And for once, DMN Biafra's "California Uber Alles" mantra has a point. It's the role guys, the James Poseys, Derek Fishers, Bruce Bowens, Robert Horrys and John Paxsons who win you titles. A Bosh-James-Wade trio would leave not a lot of room to build a bench with talent OR experience, let alone both.

Bosh shouldn't have much of any interest in this arrangement, since he wants to get the hell out of Toronto because he's an undersized center. In Miami, there are two options: 1) start Joel Anthony and play him a ton of minutes; or 2) have Bosh remain an undersized center.

That said, I stand behind what I wrote six weeks ago. Miami might do LeBron a lot of good.

So, with Dirk opting out, does a LeBron and Dirk combo look more dangerous than LeBron and Bosh?

For example, picking up what naiwf said earlier, let's imagine that they both sign with the Bulls. Then, with Dirk, you would have a go that you go could to in the closing seconds of a game, and a guy to drain decisive Free Throws in the end of a game (. 875 career in the line). So, if you have a team of Rose, Deng, LeBron, Dirk and Noah, is that more dangerous than Rose, Deng, LeBron, Bosh and Noah?

Edited by Colossus

Yes. The only difference is that Dirk's only got maybe 3 years left of being an elite player, while Bosh probably has at least 5-6. Dirk is also a murderer from deep if he can square up and shoot. If you're willing to sacrifice two years on the back end to have a better shot at winning the title now, I'd try to get LeBron and Dirk on the same team before I'd give Bosh max money to play with LeBron.

Thanks, Cleveland, by turning down Brian Shaw, you have helped to continue Laker dominance of the NBA into the future. Now, when the Zenmaster retires, be it this year or next, the changeover will be relatively smooth, and the triangle will be kept intact.

its enough to make me hope you keep LeBron, even if that's a shitty fate, because dude is NEVER going to lead a team anywhere. Its just not in him.

Nowitzki isn't going anywhere. He just opted out so he could get an extension under the current player ftiendly CBA.

Good, because it would really fuck up my ESPN pickem. Him staying was my No. 1 confidence pick.

And the first free agent has "signed". If you had Drew Gooden, you win your office pool. He's going to the Bucks 5 yrs/$32 million according to ESPN's Ric Bucher. For those who aren't following LeBron has said he wants this done by the 5th and apparently everyone else is basically piggy backing on that demand.

Joe Johnson getting max money in Atlanta will kill that team 2 years from now. He just turned 29, was invisible in the playoffs and you'll be paying him about $20 million per into his mid 30's. That's Allan Houston contract foolish.

Edited by naiwf

Thanks, Cleveland, by turning down Brian Shaw, you have helped to continue Laker dominance of the NBA into the future. Now, when the Zenmaster retires, be it this year or next, the changeover will be relatively smooth, and the triangle will be kept intact.

its enough to make me hope you keep LeBron, even if that's a shitty fate, because dude is NEVER going to lead a team anywhere. Its just not in him.

Cavs didnt turn him down, he turned the Cavs down.

Rudy Gay: $80M over 5 years. I have a radio co-host who is set to slit his wrists over this news.

Apparently, Darko is also set to get paid. 20M over 4 for Minnesota. Allegedly, this also means that the Wolves will be shopping Al Jefferson, potentially for a Rudy Gay or David Lee S&T. I'm sure Minnesota fans would be ready to slit their wrists, as well...but do they have any left? :shifty:

Word I heard is that Cleveland only turned down Shaw because he wanted more time, probably to see what happens with LeBron. Either way, it's good for LA, so I'm not going to get too bent out of shape over it.

Word out of LA is that Farmar is gone (:(), but Brown and Fisher will probably be back. Shannon Brown is an idiot, because he probably would have gotten more from his option than from opting out. Ah well.

Oh, and the yearly 'Lamar is getting traded' rumors are back.

Amir Johnson resigns with Toronto - 5 yrs @$35 Mill. I think the Raps may have over spent on Amir but he was a good off the bench guy for Toronto last year and if he can get out of foul troubles his game will improve a lot.

And on who would be signed by Miami if they get all three, I can think of Finley for sure and T-Mac. I think T-Mac would come off the bench if it means playing for a ring.

Just a thought too, imagine (because in all likelihood it would not happen), Shaq and Iverson taking minimum contracts loaded with bonuses (in Miami they are lenient on the taxes anyway) then they could possibly have a 5 like: Iverson, D-Wade, Lebron, Bosh, Shaq. With T-Mac and Finley off the bench.

However, Iverson and Bron are ball hogs and all those egos prob would never be able to figure itself out but its just a pipedream.

When it comes to Brown opting out, it is more for job security. There is talk of 2011 having a lockout and if he had opted in, the next season if there was a lockout, he would get zero money, this at least guarantee him money for maybe 3-4 yrs, maybe at a lower rate but still longer. Also if he is loyal to LA, it means more cap space for a team that is always at the luxury tax line