2010/2011 NBA Thread

jrtdot

Right before I went to bed last night I thought "how awesome would it be if Wade or Bosh announced their decision before LeBron did?". Then I wake up to see the ESPN scroll saying they're both going to Miami. Now LeBron can either stay titleless in Cleveland for the next 3 years, go to Miami as the 3rd fiddle, or go to New York after Amare. Awesome.

I'm not ruling out Chicago as a destination. That's still, in my opinion, the best fit for him. There's more room to add depth there then on any of the other options. New York would have disaster written all over it, he'll continue to carry Cleveland to 55+ win seasons and probably sneak into The Finals again, or he can be around a young supporting cast in Chicago with room for additions in 2011. ESPN is trying to convince us that Miami is still an option, and while I don't think the money is that big of a deal to LeBron (The guy gets so much income from everything else a few million lost in an NBA contract isn't something he'll think twice about) the fact is that Miami couldn't hope to add anything with two superstars and Bosh.

I don't think even LeBron is a big enough dick to go to Chicago at this point and leave Cleveland with no options to replace him. If he did that after all of the other big name free agents will have signed contracts (they can start signing at a moment after midnight), he'd be persona non grata in Cleveland and his rep would take a massive hit. I don't think his ego would allow him to be a villain in his "hometown".

In more significant news, Kevin Durant says he's going to sign a 5 yr extension with The Thunder. If LeBron was even 1/10 as classy as Durant, that would be a plus.

Free Agent Signing. From everything I've seen and read over the last day. I have not heard them mention a sign and trade.

ESPN scroll says Toronto's trying to work out a sign and trade with Bosh. I don't see what Miami could possibly trade them, other than Beasley, some t-shirts and a couple of mid level cap exceptions?

Boozer at 5 years/$80 million isn't horrendous for the Bulls. I had, honestly, forgotten he was even around until an hour ago. The talk, at least the talk I was hearing, was that Boozer benefited from the skills of Williams and that he was a much better player because of it. In Chicago he gets an equal, if not better, point guard to play with. Add in the cap space still available in Chicago and they can stock up on the Mike Millers of the world. And that point about LeBron ditching his "hometown team" is one I haven't heard before, but one that makes perfect sense.

Rose - Miller\Morrow\shooter - LeBron - Boozer - Noah, with Deng as the 6th man. It has to scare the Lakers a bit, right? We could even go small with Rose\Shooter\Deng\LeBron\Noah, or big with Rose\Deng\LeBron\Boozer\Noah. Of course, if LeBron signs with the Buylls *knocks on wood*

Boozer to Chicago is a great move for them, but it might take them out of the King James Sweepstakes. If they can find a decent SG that can shoot, they'd be a real threat in the East. If that happens, I'd have them second behind a healthy Boston (I think they have one more run left in them), depending on what Orlando does. The records might not reflect that, because I expect Boston to coast like they did this year.

I know it makes me sound like a super-homer, and an arrogant ass, but, if I'm the Lakers, none of these moves worry me. Even if Lebron signs in Chicago, the only team I see beating a healthy LA team in a seven game series is a healthy Boston. Maybe my head is too far up my own ass.

Oh, and Kevin Durant resigning with OKC is huge for them, and he'll only be 26 when that deal ends. Then he can come to LA! >_>.

ESPN 1000 is raporting talks between the Pistons, the Blazers and the Bulls

Chicago receives Rip Hamilton, Portalnd receives Luol Deng, and Detroit receives either Pzybilla or Bayless.

Great trade if it goes through to the Bulls. Gives them a shooter, someone who has competed for the title, and a guy that would thrive with Rose, Boozer, and possibly LeBron on the team

Edited by Colossus

Free Agent Signing. From everything I've seen and read over the last day. I have not heard them mention a sign and trade.

ESPN scroll says Toronto's trying to work out a sign and trade with Bosh. I don't see what Miami could possibly trade them, other than Beasley, some t-shirts and a couple of mid level cap exceptions?

it is possible that Toronto could grab Beasley or Joel Anthony and then a trade exception for the rest of the money so possibly giving them room to trade away Turk if they want to OR grab extra salary to get a salary dump IF their record goes south next year.

Also if that rumor of the three team trade is true it immediately helps all parties (assuming Przybilla is traded and not Bayless)

Ray Allen is staying in Boston. Obviously this is a good move for them.

That three-team trade is a great deal if that works out. Chicago benefits so much from the veteran presence of Rip Hamilton, it seemed to materialize almost as soon as Allen was re-inking with Boston too. Clearly they planned on going veteran at SG.

of course we won't know until the Bron Bron show but apparently he is leaning toward Miami but this is pure speculation

LeBron James has decided to join Dwyane Wade and Chris Bosh in Miami, according to multiple sources that spoke with Newsday.

"Multiple sources are telling Newsday that LeBron James has decided to join Dwyane Wade and Chris Bosh in Miami," wrote Hahn. "The new Big Three is here."

RealGM Note: The headline on Newsday's sport page reads 'Sources: LeBron leaning towards choosing Heat.'

The news of the 10-11 NBA salary cap being at $58.044M creates additional cap room for James, Wade and Bosh to get closer to a maximum contract.

James is scheduled to announce his final decision live on ESPN at 9:00 PM EST on Thursday.

James met with the Knicks, Nets, Heat, Clippers, Cavaliers and Bulls in that order last week.

The Heat only have Michael Beasley ($4.962M) and Mario Chalmers ($854k) under contract for the 10-11 season.

Wade and Bosh stated their intention to sign with the Heat on Wednesday morning.

Read more: http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/67957/20100708/report_lebron_leaning_towards_miami_heat/#ixzz0t45s8YaB

Wow. If he actually has the audacity to drag this out AND worked so hard to get an hour long blowjob from ESPN just to drive a stake through the heart of Cleveland he has to win douchecanoe of the week. [/Allison Danger] That's Art Modell in Cleveland, Walter O'Malley in Brooklyn backstabbery. For Cleveland to get dicked over like that TWICE would almost make a cynical New Yorker like me feel bad for them.

Edited by naiwf

Wow. If he actually has the audacity to drag this out AND worked so hard to get an hour long blowjob from ESPN just to drive a stake through the heart of Cleveland he has to win douchecanoe of the week. [/Allison Danger] That's Art Modell in Cleveland, Walter O'Malley in Brooklyn backstabbery. For Cleveland to get dicked over like that TWICE would almost make a cynical New Yorker like me feel bad for them.

I never thought LeBron's ego would allow him to share the spotlight with Wade and Bosh the same way I don't believe that Kobe's ego would allow him to put him in that situation, that being said I am actually quiet intrigued at this possibility. He will be hated in Cleveland forever if he does it but he'll put a huge dagger through the "he doesn't care about winning" or "it is just about the money" knock against him.

They had to raise the cap because it's based on a percentage of revenue. They're making noise about losing money and needing to lower player salaries because the CBA is up for renogatiation. The NBA probably on the whole doesn't lose money, it just makes so much money in four or five markets that in the 10 markets where it loses money, it's a wash. That's still a financially perilous situation though.