2010/2011 NBA Thread

jrtdot

Apparently Sloan and Deron Williams didn't like each other, and I guess he's stepping down to give the Jazz a chance to re-sign Williams when his deal runs out next season. I guess this is somewhat similar to the Young/Fisher power struggle that just exploded with the Titans in the NFL. The Jazz had better hope it doesn't end up with them losing both guys by next summer.

Forget about next summer, try 13 days later.

Deron Williams has been traded to the Nets in exchange for Favors, Harris and 2 # 1 draft picks. I don't really see how this is that much of an upgrade for New Jersey considering that Harris was an All Star PG not too long ago and they just gave up a guy they drafted 3rd this year and 2 future 1st rounders. The Knicks probably shouldn't have said they were interested in Williams :shifty:

Edited by naiwf

Posted what naiwf did ten minutes earlier. Very surprising move. The Nets also got Brandan Wright and Dan Gadzuric from the Golden State Warriors in exchange for Troy Murphy, who will likely be bought out.

Edited by The Aztec Warrior

It's takes NJ out of it for CP3 (who is the one I think the Knicks really want), so it's probably a good play in the end.

From what I've seen, Williams hasn't signed an extension in Jersey so there's still the chance that he too will be a free agent next summer. I'd prefer CP3 myself simply because I think he fits the system better, but Williams has the better build for playoff runs so I was hoping that both guys would be available. Having said that, I think CP3 would be more likely to sacrifice some money to come play for the Knicks so we'll see. I know it's stupid, but if they can't get a PG and managed to land Dwight Howard that would be the most awesome Knicks team I've ever seen. Dwight could average 10 blocks a game just covering for all of the guys that zoom right by STAT and 'Melo. Hell, I could play point for those guys. "Here's the play, I'm just going to throw the ball somewhere near the hoop and you guys can go get it!" :P

Edited by naiwf

I have no idea how anyone thinks that's an awful trade for New Jersey. Nevermind that Deron Williams is better than Carmelo Anthony, but Deron is one of the best point guards in the game (I don't think the best though). He is the kind of player New Jersey can build around (they still have 3 first round picks around them I believe), and Deron cannot take the extension that Melo is getting, so it is not like Deron will just bolt.

Deron Williams is at the end of the top 10 players in the NBA. Melo barely cracks the top 15.

And I don't even like Deron Williams for the most part.

Edited by Red Devil-Taker316
  • Like 1

I have no idea how anyone thinks that's an awful trade for New Jersey. Nevermind that Deron Williams is better than Carmelo Anthony, but Deron is one of the best point guards in the game (I don't think the best though). He is the kind of player New Jersey can build around (they still have 3 first round picks around them I believe), and Deron cannot take the extension that Melo is getting, so it is not like Deron will just bolt.

Deron Williams is at the end of the top 10 players in the NBA. Melo barely cracks the top 15.

And I don't even like Deron Williams for the most part.

Is Deron Williams better for a team than Devin Harris, Derrick Favors and 2 first round picks? Is he going to want to play for a lottery bound team this year and next and then sign an extension to play for a lottery team in Brooklyn from 2012-2015/2016?

It's takes NJ out of it for CP3 (who is the one I think the Knicks really want), so it's probably a good play in the end.

From what I've seen, Williams hasn't signed an extension in Jersey so there's still the chance that he too will be a free agent next summer. I'd prefer CP3 myself simply because I think he fits the system better, but Williams has the better build for playoff runs so I was hoping that both guys would be available. Having said that, I think CP3 would be more likely to sacrifice some money to come play for the Knicks so we'll see. I know it's stupid, but if they can't get a PG and managed to land Dwight Howard that would be the most awesome Knicks team I've ever seen. Dwight could average 10 blocks a game just covering for all of the guys that zoom right by STAT and 'Melo. Hell, I could play point for those guys. "Here's the play, I'm just going to throw the ball somewhere near the hoop and you guys can go get it!" :P

That would be the most glorious team of all teams. :wub: Also, Christ, it's weird being on the same side as you.

Good lord that is an awful trade for New Jersey.

Indeed. My initial reaction was 'lol nets'

Nevermind that Deron Williams is better than Carmelo Anthony

lol

Well lets start with there's no guarantee he's going to re-sign with them, so they might have just given up all of that, for nothing.

He's an upgrade at a position they didn't need to upgrade at. He's better than Harris, sure, but Devin Harris is an above average point guard. Throwing Favors into the mix makes it even worse, as he's shown a lot of promise this season. They went from having Harris/Favors/Lopez to build around, to having Williams/Lopez, and nothing else in coming because they coughed up two first rounders, that will very likely be lottery picks. I'm not sure if they're protected, but if they aren't, this is an awful move for New Jersey.

Prokharov wanted so desperately to land a big name player, that he finally just pulled the trigger recklessly. Williams hasn't agreed to sign an extension, there's nothing saying he will, especially when he's going to be hugely in demand if he goes into free agency. They couldn't convince LeBron to sign, they couldn't convince Melo to sign, what makes you think they're going to convince Deron to stick around? Playing out the rest of the season on a sub .500 team? Yeah, real enticing.

Also, I can't believe a deal between Jersey and Utah didn't involve AK47.