NHL 2010/2011

SeanDMan

It's tied 3-3 in the third. Toronto is very lucky to have this game tied, as the Islanders have dominated them at times throughout this game.

Ughh.

Edited by Toe

He basically gives him the Jericho bulldog, where you plant your palm in the back of the dude's head, directly into the stanchion. I agree, that should be a 20+ game suspension for attempt to murder.

Chara has his hands on Pacioretty's body driving forward with his head up so he can see exactly where he's going to put him, or at least that's the way I see it. If it wasn't on purpose, he still did nothing to protect the guy which is just as reckless and stupid.

The sound of the stanchions rattling around after Pacioretty's face connected was frightening.

Chara gets away with a ton of dirty stuff, with announcers using his size as a way to excuse it. He should be suspended for 10+ after tonight.

Knowing this league, he will only get four games IF he gets suspended at all.

Trevor Gillies getting 10 games was pathetic. What Chara did is 1,000X worse than both of Gillies transgressions combined.

If Chara gets any less than 20 for this, it is a disgrace. 20 might even be too little.

He clearly lifts Pacioretty up into the air and guides him into the glass.

Unbelievable.

Edited by Evil Chase K

ill have to replay the video, but watching it once... it definitely looks completely unintentional, and just bad fucking luck that the glsss started right there.

Trevor Gillies getting 10 games was pathetic. What Chara did is 1,000X worse than both of Gillies transgressions combined.

If Chara gets any less than 20 for this, it is a disgrace. 20 might even be too little.

He clearly lifts Pacioretty up into the air and guides him into the glass.

Unbelievable.

No, he was clearly trying to shove him into the boards. Chara is dirty, but tha wasn't intentional.

So severe, which we can assume is a grade 3 concussion and a broken vertebrae, not displaced so at least he'll walk again.

My views on the hit make it hard to determine what Chara should get.

On the one hand, Pacioretty didn't have the puck and it was a late hit, but I don't believe Chara was intentionally trying to run him into the partition. Then again, in the replay, you see Chara being beaten by Pacioretty and pushing him up and into it. I think that was more of an attempt to impede him, but still, especially considering the hit was late and the severity of the injury, Chara should be held responsible for his actions.

Personally, I don't believe he'll get very much. He's a star player, so he already gets a pass, I don't believe he's a repeat offender (this will likely be part of the justification of the terrible decision by the league, if in fact is isn't a repeat offender). Max Pac is just a rookie so it's not as though he did this to Ovechkin or Iglina or god forbid Crosby. Although, this is the most severe injury caused by a bonehead decision since Bertuzzi on Moore.

I would like to see Chara get the rest of the year. That would be 16 games, let's round it up to 20 and he's back for game 5 of Round 1. I think that would start to send the message that you are responsible for your actions in this league.

The Habs fan in me wants him to get the rest of the year plus playoffs, but if it's a Montreal/Boston first round that has the possibility of only being an extra game or 2 considering Montreal traditionally owns Boston at everything to do with hockey... yes I am aware they the Habs were swept 2 years ago.

Now asides from the injury, I'm seriously pissed at the blow this will deal to the Habs. Pacioretty has been on fire in the last 10-15 games. He was starting to play like a power forward who can score some goals. Our already poor offense just took a hit, and our rag tag defense isn't going to get any better until about May at the best, and there's no reason to think the Habs will still be playing hockey in May... God damnit Chara...

ill have to replay the video, but watching it once... it definitely looks completely unintentional, and just bad fucking luck that the glsss started right there.

Bad fucking luck? Chara has been playing hockey for decades - legitimately, decades - and it's not like they decided to stick a brand-new stanchion there hours before the game just to throw him a curveball; that, and he looks up and he's fucking staring at the stanchion. He knew it was there, did nothing to avoid the hit and because he's a) a star player and b) playing with the son of the guy who decides disciplinary actions means he's getting four games. If that.

Campbell isn't going to rule on any punishment because of his son being Chara's teammate.

The one thing the NHL consistently fails at is punishing players hard enough to prevent future incidents like this one.

Giving Chara 4-5 games does nothing to make players in the league think about hitting someone and putting them in a situation where a broken vertebrae and a severe concussion (if not worse) are potential outcomes.

You'd have to think that giving Chara 15-20 games would make players around the league think twice before driving someone into the boards like that.

And if the NHL is truly serious about player safety this is something that they'll have to seriously consider.

I'm terribly surprised and dissappointed to see the media so wildly defending Chara and blaming the arena design for the injury. Chara is paid millions of dollars a year to know where he is on the ice...

Also, this Bruins team was out for blood last night. I mean Boychuck took a flying elbow run at Subban at the start of the game and paid dearly for it at the hands of Ryan White... (I guess you're not so tough when you have a willing opponent Johnny...), the entire series of that hit started because Pacioretty gave Seidenburg a good clean hard hit, and even into the third period, Lucic was going after Pouliot who just laughed at him. I kind of feel that based on the actions of the team as a whole, we need to question whether Chara wanted to hurt Pacioretty or not. Obviously not into the turnbuckle, but even it that was along the boards, so instead of a broken neck, Chara still would have hit him in the head and he still likely would have had a concussion...

ill have to replay the video, but watching it once... it definitely looks completely unintentional, and just bad fucking luck that the Glass started right there.

Bad fucking luck? Chara has been playing hockey for decades - legitimately, decades - and it's not like they decided to stick a brand-new stanchion there hours before the game just to throw him a curve ball; that, and he looks up and he's fucking staring at the stanchion. He knew it was there, did nothing to avoid the hit and because he's a) a star player and b) playing with the son of the guy who decides disciplinary actions means he's getting four games. If that.

He's looking up at the player who he couldn't ride into the boards, so he took him out of the play. Yes, it was fucking Dory, but no way in hell did that footage show Chara looking at the stanchion and intentionally trying to knock his head off.

EDIT: The click posted here is the only one I watched. I'll try to come across a different clip later.

Edited by thisgamewelose