NHL 2010/2011

SeanDMan

Using that logic though the Olli Jokinen signing makes sense.

When you talk about players with fragile egos and superstar complexes that outweigh their (undeniable) talent, you can't lock up 4 or 5 million dollars into that guy, because it creates an artificial singularity of suck whereby all his anti-motivation saps the will to play out of his teammates when they realize that no matter how hard they try, this priss will get all their icetime and all their money just because he can presumably contribute if he ever decides to stop just meandering and spending his money in his head while skating.

Which is the exact reason why I would have preferred McGratton, Nystrom, Higgins or Dawes returning to Olli Jokinen. The potential may not be the same, but at least with the former four, you know what you're getting every night, and that's hard work. With Jokinen, you can never tell if he's going to have an explosive game where he takes over, or if he's just going to coast along and make plays with a lack of conviction that rivals a child's forced apology. In regard to Jokinen, it's a safe bet it's going to be the latter, and when the former happens, it's an amazing sight. Almost like a solar eclipse.

That's why the Calgary Flames have seemed to be on a downward trend lately. For some reason, they insist on cutting their hard work, hard hat kind of players and bringing in soft, inconsistent floaters.

I don't ever want to lose The Duke.

And if some hockey blogs are right, the Avs are taking cap hits buying out contracts (Tom Preissing) just to hit the floor without spending money, doesn't sound good.

I missed this post originally.

This isn't per se a bad thing, actually. The Avalanche are in the unique position where the majority of their best players are young and vastly underpaid. I don't think they want to be at the Salary Floor because they don't have the cash, I think they have to be at the salary floor but don't feel like overpaying for players who aren't any better than the current crop they have right now anyway. I mean, realistically, would you want to spend money on buying out players who can't make your team, or would you want to jump in on the Derek Boogard sweepstakes?

I don't think this has anything to do with profitability, either. The Avalanche always fill their building, so unless they reinvested a shitload of money banking on the Denver NBA team to become a dynasty and are waiting for that investment to be paid back, I have no doubt that they do just fine, money wise. They're just in a unique situation with their overabundance of young talent.

I get your point, but last season, the Avs reportedly lost $10 million, so the thinking is that they're trying to recoup costs. I just hope that they do actually put this cap space to use and keep the crew together. I mean, they wouldn't even give Lappy an extra hundred grand or so, the tightfisted bastards.

I assume that report has to be a lie.

Also something in your post isn't quite true Sean - Colorado stuggled quite badly to fill the building during this season, and especially last season. A loss isn't entirely out of the question.

but the peeps on Pension Plan Puppets are whining

News at eleven?

It's so annoying to read them bitch, since it is just a two year contract. It doesn't stop Toronto from doing anything.

I actually like the Lebda signing. It's not too much money. He's a bit of an under rated guy, he'll probably be in the 3rd pairing and if/when Kaberle goes, he provides fairly solid D. If they want to whine about too much money they can whine about Versteeg at 3 Million per year. I mean, he's a good player, he contributes a solid 20 goals and close to 50 points a year so he'll fit in as the 5th or 6th forward on some teams or as a solid shut down player on most others. The issue I have though is the price. Toronto already has a goalie that makes too much money and I'd say that most of their D are wildly overpayed. It just sets a precedent on the team, and that's why a guy like Kulemin can get 2.3 per year.

Not that other teams don't have this problem as well... I mean Montreal has 6 players who combined make almost 35 million, but I would say that their salaries are mostly justified except for that albatross around our neck Scott Gomez and the severely aging Roman Hamrlik.

Edited by The Sultan of Swank

Versteeg got that money because of Chicago's mistake, and it was that salary that made him expendable in Chicago. Kulemin got his money because he spent a good chunk of last season on the first line, and on a lot of nights he was one of the best Leafs on the ice - even when he didn't score. He was looking to get $3 mil per year, so $2.3 is not too bad.

The San Jose Sharks have signed Niklas Hjalmarsson to an offer sheet with an average of $3.5 million per season. If Chicago matches, they're going to have to dump some more salary. If they choose to let him go, they're going to lose an up and coming defenseman because of cap issues, but they'll receive a first and third round pick from the Sharks in the 2011 Entry Draft.

Either outcome is good for Chicago... so I'm sure they'll spend the weekend kicking tires and seeing if they can unload some salary to match the offer, but if they can't make a trade that works for them, I fully expect that they'll be okay to let him go to San Jose and receive the draft picks.

Those picks aren't going to be good picks, though.

Those picks aren't going to be good picks, though.

I dunno, Sean... the Sharks are banking on Anterro Niitymaki, who has been relatively good recently, but is definitely a couple steps down from Nabokov. I see this being a lesser season for the Sharks. I figure they'll finish 6th or 7th... but I wouldn't be overly shocked if they missed the post-season altogether.

I know this comes out of nowhere but...

I would love to see the NHL and the NHLPA come together and decide on a salary cap freeze for about 5 seasons. I know it won't happen since the owners and league want the cap down a bit while the players want it to rise, but I think a solid cap for a few years would allow stability and let smaller market teams catch up.

and you can get him super cheap in the first month. same with Bobby Ryan.

This. Again.

He was playing backup for me during my first draft year. He ended up playing most of the season, but unfortunately I couldn't afford his serious pay increase.

I had Dan Ellis steal the starter's job from Andy in my EHM game >_> Replaced him with Bryzgalov :w00t:

Also, speaking IRL - Niity has always been quite good I thought. Will be good to see how he does with a better team than Tampa in front of him. I loves me some Niitty.

You all seem to forget that last year featured Antii Niemi winning the Stanley Cup, putting aside the somehow fucking absurd rise of Craig Anderson to a position of relevence.