NHL 2010/2011

SeanDMan

I know this isn't strictly relevant to this year, but you all drone on about EHM half the time anyway, so I'm sure you won't mind. I was watching a really poor sports highlight video on Youtube (specifically this one) and at about 3:30, there seems to be a wicked goal from an Avalanche player that I've never seen before. I think it's number 17, which would suggest Hlinka, but I'm not sure, and I can't seem to track down a higher res version. Anyone have any ideas on who or when, or even a better clip?

Guest Mr. Holland Head

I know this isn't strictly relevant to this year, but you all drone on about EHM half the time anyway, so I'm sure you won't mind. I was watching a really poor sports highlight video on Youtube (specifically this one) and at about 3:30, there seems to be a wicked goal from an Avalanche player that I've never seen before. I think it's number 17, which would suggest Hlinka, but I'm not sure, and I can't seem to track down a higher res version. Anyone have any ideas on who or when, or even a better clip?

The ads on the boards make me think we're looking at something pre-2000. Florida being the opposition makes me think it could well be the 96 Cup. The number looks more like '13' to me (look right after the first shot of him scoring, when he spins to the right of the goal). Valeri Kamensky was #13 during his entire spell in Colorado, and he scored a lot of goals. I think the player has to be Kamensky, even if I'm off on the year--but circumstantial evidence would point to that series (assist went to #5, who that year was Alexei Gusarov, Florida had #5 and #44 at the very least, that year worn by Gord Murphy and Rob Niedermayer respectively). Plus the goalie mask isn't really in focus, but it does look like the panther mask that Vanbiesbrouck wore in Florida. :)

DAMN YOU ENTER BLUE GUY

Ha, cheers guys. I figured it must've been pre-2000, since I've seen most of the Avs highlights since getting the internet in about 2001/2. Back then, I was an Avs fan purely because I got a Super Joe poster with an ill-fated American sports magazine here, and I vaguely remember seeing a game on channel 5 at about 4 in the morning in like '98. So I don't really know much about the likes of Kaminsky and Gusarov. Wonderful goal, though.

Leighton had two good weeks. Anderson put up four good months before he became human again in the playoffs.

Leighton had two good weeks. Anderson put up four good months before he became human again in the playoffs.

To be fair, Leighton put up good numbers all season.

27 GP, 16 Wins, 1 Shut Out, 2.48 GAA and .920 Save Percentage.

Playoff numbers were: 14 GP, 3 Shut Outs, 2.46 GAA, .916 Save Percentage.

Whether or not he could maintain it for a season like Anderson is debatable, but you cannot deny that Leighton's numbers, on a whole, were good enough that he should be seriously considered as a potential starting goaltender headed into this coming season.

lol.

Backups tend to put up decent numbers because they either

1. Play teams with nobody on them who can score, or

2. Play when their team's main goalie is hurt, in which case his team will clamp down tighter than a constipated nun.

It's a gamble giving him starter's money to carry that performance over from 27 games played to 57 games played.

Raycroft had decent numbers too, he's a free agent if anyone has 4 million in cap space.

Oh wait, looks like he's Marty Turco now. >_>

lol.

Backups tend to put up decent numbers because they either

1. Play teams with nobody on them who can score, or

2. Play when their team's main goalie is hurt, in which case his team will clamp down tighter than a constipated nun.

It's a gamble giving him starter's money to carry that performance over from 27 games played to 57 games played.

I know Philly doesn't release contract numbers, but I'd be willing to bet that Leighton signed on for far less than "starter's money". So, while it's still a gamble to head into the season with him pencilled in as the number one guy, it's an inexpensive risk and allows for the team to spend that money elsewhere. Leighton is a calculated gamble for the Flyers. He's inexpensive, and has showed that he may have the ability to turn himself into a legitimate starting goaltender for a team that has been looking for one since Ron Hextall.

I honestly see Leighton as a better investment than any other free agent goalie signing this season, aside from Jaroslav Halak, who I didn't count since he was restricted and traded to the Blues.

Keeping Hjalmarsson is huge for our continued success on the defensive side, and now all the focus is on Niemi.

I suspect we'll make one last rush to move either Campbell or Huet (most unlikely) to resign Niemi, or in the worst case trade for a journeyman tender while we wait to move Huet down to AHL or sell him to some KHL club.

Actually, Anderson was freaking ridiculous in the playoffs. I think you mean between Olympics and the playoffs?

I was hoping Burke would try to land Gagne. Still, with Kovalchuk now gone, maybe Burke can find someone willing to pay his price for Kaberle.

The Philadelphia Flyers have traded forward Simon Gagne to the Tampa Bay Lightning for defenceman Matt Walker and a fourth-round draft pick in 2011.

I'm sure we could have put SOMETHING like that together. Damn you Burke.

WOW! lol. I knew they werent going to get much because most teams expect Gagne to be waived (surely Edm or islanders would've taken him) but I really feel like a few teams missed out on what could've been a great pickup for them.