NHL 2010/2011

SeanDMan

It's a bit hard to talk about legacies of having the best player in the league and say "X team had it, but X team didn't".

Let's analyze one name in particular: Mike Richter.

Mike Richter's career spanned from 1990-2003.

This is the list of Hart Trophy Winners, for the player judged to be the best in the league, from 1990-2003:

1990–91 Hull, Brett St. Louis Blues RW

1991–92 Messier, Mark New York Rangers C

1992–93 Lemieux, Mario Pittsburgh Penguins C

1993–94 Fedorov, Sergei Detroit Red Wings C

1994–95 Lindros, Eric Philadelphia Flyers C

1995–96 Lemieux, Mario Pittsburgh Penguins C

1996–97 Hasek, Dominik Buffalo Sabres G

1997–98 Hasek, Dominik Buffalo Sabres G

1998–99 Jagr, Jaromir Pittsburgh Penguins RW

1999–2000 Pronger, Chris St. Louis Blues D

2000–01 Sakic, Joe Colorado Avalanche C

2001–02 Theodore, Jose Montreal Canadiens G

2002–03 Forsberg, Peter Colorado Avalanche C

This is a list of Vezina Trophy Winners, for the goaltender judged to be the best in the league, from the same period:

1990–91 Belfour, Ed Chicago Blackhawks

1991–92 Roy, Patrick Montreal Canadiens

1992–93 Belfour, Ed Chicago Blackhawks

1993–94 Hasek, Dominik Buffalo Sabres

1994–95 Hasek, Dominik Buffalo Sabres

1995–96 Carey, Jim Washington Capitals

1996–97 Hasek, Dominik Buffalo Sabres

1997–98 Hasek, Dominik Buffalo Sabres

1998–99 Hasek, Dominik Buffalo Sabres

1999–2000 Kolzig, Olaf Washington Capitals

2000–01 Hasek, Dominik Buffalo Sabres

2001–02 Theodore, Jose Montreal Canadiens

2002–03 Brodeur, Martin New Jersey Devils

Here are the William M. Jennings Award winners, for the best statistical goaltender, for the same period:

1990–91 Belfour, Ed Chicago Blackhawks

1991–92 Roy, Patrick Montreal Canadiens

1992–93 Belfour, Ed Chicago Blackhawks

1993–94 Hasek, Dominik Buffalo Sabres

1993–94 Grant Fuhr Buffalo Sabres

1994–95 Belfour, Ed Chicago Blackhawks

1995–96 Osgood, Chris Detroit Red Wings

1995–96 Mike Vernon Detroit Red Wings

1996–97 Brodeur, Martin New Jersey Devils

1996–97 Mike Dunham New Jersey Devils

1997–98 Brodeur, Martin New Jersey Devils

1998–99 Belfour, Ed Dallas Stars

1998–99 Roman Turek Dallas Stars

1999–2000 Roman Turek St. Louis Blues

2000–01 Hasek, Dominik Buffalo Sabres

2001–02 Roy, Patrick Colorado Avalanche

2002–03 Brodeur, Martin New Jersey Devils

2002–03 Cechmanek, Roman Philadelphia Flyers

2002–03 Robert Esche Philadelphia Flyers

2003–04 Brodeur, Martin New Jersey Devils

So, during Mike Richter's entire career, he was never judged to be the best player at his position. He was also never judged to be the best player in the league either. In fact, during his career, other players at his position WERE judged to be the best player in the league. Also, during his career, another player on his team was awarded the Hart Trophy for best player, so you could make the arguement he wasn't even the best player on his TEAM, forget the league.

Awards are not everything, as Plubby will hasten to add. It doesn't matter afterall how many gold medals he won, but the fact that he was never the best statistical goaltender, and only once was the goaltender for a Stanley Cup winner, seems to cast doubt into his merit as the greatest of all time. Sure, the Vezina doesn't mean a lot... after all, Jim Carey isn't exactly a lock for the hockey hall of fame... but the Hart matters. Looking at the greatest player in the game, you'd expect him to get at least a nomination for the Hart, none of which Richter had. The fact that his teammate, Brian Leetch, won the Norris as the best defensemen in the league twice during Richter's career with the Rangers, and is in the Hockey Hall Of Fame while Richter isn't, really makes the arguement that the Rangers had the best player in the league at the time in Mike Richter really tenuous. He wasn't even the best player on his team, IMO.

tl;dr version: Your teacher is an idiot, and if you paid more attention during the rest of the year you could take summers off of school. :P

While a winger like Ryan Malone is probably what Burke is holding out for, he needs to look at his cards here. The Leafs have depth at defense, and losing Kaberle for nothing at the end of this coming season is far worse than shipping him off somewhere and getting draft picks and prospects in return.

I've heard several times now that Burke has been offered at least one first round pick in 2011 in different packages that included other picks, prospects and roster players. I really think he needs to pull the trigger here and move Kaberle for one of those deals. It's a good hockey trade for the team. They need the picks and it doesn't hurt to load up on prospects either.

If he can't get what he wants in a gritty forward who can score, then I really don't see why plan B: a "futures deal" as he put it, would be considered any worse by the fans.

You have to love Colton Orr!

I've only recently gotten into hockey and I've established myself as a Leafs fan.. and god damn that was entertaining to watch haha.

Guest Mr. Potato Head

You have to love Colton Orr!

I've only recently gotten into hockey and I've established myself as a Leafs fan.. and god damn that was entertaining to watch haha.

Why would you choose to be a Leafs fan? Are you some kind of masochist?

Haha, nah, being Australian we don't really get much ice hockey here, but one of my Canadian friends fathers is a huge Leafs fan, so you know, being the only really team I ever got exposure to I decided that I'd support them.

Guest Mr. Potato Head

Looks like Kaberle is going to be a Leaf for this season. I did want to see him moved, but I'm okay with him staying. No other defender on the team can pass like he can.

Yeah, too bad this is another season where the team's highest goal is "screw Boston over" though.

Haha, extension.

You've been using the guy as trade bait for ages.

He is signing no extension.

Haha, nah, being Australian we don't really get much ice hockey here, but one of my Canadian friends fathers is a huge Leafs fan, so you know, being the only really team I ever got exposure to I decided that I'd support them.

...Hey. Bitches not be stepping on mah gimmick.

Haha, extension.

You've been using the guy as trade bait for ages.

He is signing no extension.

Unless he has some odd fascination with the city of Toronto and enjoys being beat up by the Toronto media...

I think we will be seeing Kaberle play less minutes even strength this season, and maybe he will double shift on the powerplay now. They need to focus more on creating traffic and opening up a point shot. Moving the puck to Kessel on the boards just seems to stall out any momentum. I expect Versteeg to get plenty of powerplay time, and hopefully Dion can start scoring. He shot the puck a ton in the last 30 games or so, but he only scored at the end of the season.

I really do wonder what Burke was expecting to get for Kaberle. No team was going to give up top prospects, or young phenoms... And a lot of teams are close to the cap... It doesn't hurt Toronto not to trade him. He's still one of the better puck moving defensemen in the East. And sometimes a trade not made, is the best trade.

I really do wonder what Burke was expecting to get for Kaberle. No team was going to give up top prospects, or young phenoms... And a lot of teams are close to the cap... It doesn't hurt Toronto not to trade him. He's still one of the better puck moving defensemen in the East. And sometimes a trade not made, is the best trade.

I think Ryan Clowe was someone Burke wanted, but he was probably pushing for Clowe and a pick. The Sharks came back with Derek Joslin and a pick, but Burke wants people that can play now.

It' hurts them if Kaberle doesn't re-sign with Toronto or bring them to the cup. They will then lose Kaberle for absolutely nothing. Sometimes you need to settle for what you can get.

It' hurts them if Kaberle doesn't re-sign with Toronto or bring them to the cup. They will then lose Kaberle for absolutely nothing. Sometimes you need to settle for what you can get.

Nah, we Leafs fans are used to losing our best players for absolutely nothing.

It might be better to just let him walk. Get his cap off the books, not take anything on the way back, then go find a player they can use with that kind of money. Kadri will be another year older, and they might be able to find a player who can play Burke's style and still has some years on his side. If Kaberle's contract had run out this year they good have gotten some more of Chicago's leftovers, I think.