NHL 2010/2011

SeanDMan

It's wierd that its this contract and not the others that came before (Hossa, Luongo) that get shut down, but I hope this effectively closes the loop hole that was being exploited.

I think the NHL rejected it because they know Lou despises such contracts, and thinks they should be illegal, per his own statements, so he's just baltently taking the piss with this offer.

Kovy Sweepstakes II: Electric Boogaloo.

*edit: Gah, hit reply too soon. I wonder if this will give the other three clubs cause to rush back in with offers, or if they'll give NJ a little leeway first out of respect.

If he truly wants to be in New Jersey, then I would assume they would just cut off a few years and readjust the numbers. It might take a few days, but I think he will still end up a New Jersey unless, as a way to punish the Devils and Kovalchuk, the NHL says the Devils cannot sign him at all.

Is there any truth to this rumor of Dipietro in a car accident?

I saw it on Realgm.com as well as other places.

Edited by thisgamewelose

..Apparently not. I've seen a lot of topics claiming it to be a false rumor. Apparently the caller on ESPN made it up.

Edited by thisgamewelose

*edit: Gah, hit reply too soon. I wonder if this will give the other three clubs cause to rush back in with offers, or if they'll give NJ a little leeway first out of respect.

There's a 5 day period between when the contract was rejected and when the deadline to file additional paperwork lapses. If no additional paperwork is filed, then after 5 days he's back to a UFA. But New Jersey can resubmit the contract as is, they can resubmit it restructured, or the NHLPA can file a grievance. The last one is the most likely of the 3.

A good point was raised on Hockeycentral yesterday in that per the terms of the deal, Kovalchuk has a 9 year no movement clause which becomes a no-trade clause for the final 8 seasons of the deal.

So this is how Kovalchucks contract looks. The No Movement numbers are in bold:

10-11 6.00 NHL

11-12 6.00 NHL

12-13 11.50 NHL

13-14 11.50 NHL

14-15 11.50 NHL

15-16 11.50 NHL

16-17 11.50 NHL

17-18 10.50 NHL

18-19 8.50 NHL

19-20 6.50 NHL

20-21 3.50 NHL

21-22 750 NHL

22-23 550 NHL

23-24 550 NHL

24-25 550 NHL

25-26 550 NHL

26-27 550 NHL

So the no movement numbers amount for nine years at 88.5 million, meaning the years at which he can be moved (IE waived) but not traded without consent total 13.5 million dollars over eight years.

Now.

If the Devils decide to waive Kovalchuk and buy him out after 9 years, they would need to pay out 2/3 of the remainder of the salary, which would represent 9 million, but would be able to do so over the next 16 years. That represents an average cap hit of $560,000 per season. That's all. For a $102 million contract. And sure, you're paying him freakloads of money over the prime of his career, but if it doesn't work out, you then have a loophole through which you can absolve yourself of that burden, and reduce a 6 million dollar cap hit to about one tenth that amount.

That's probably a contributing factor to why the deal was axed, that change from a no-movement to a no-trade. It smells like an escape clause.

If you take out the first year at 6.5, his buyout becomes 2/3 of 7 million, which is 4.67, over 14 years, for a cap hit of $330,000.

If he plays out the next year at 3.5 and then is bought out, it would be for 2/3 of 3.5 million, which is 2.33, over 12 years, for an annual cap hit of $190,000.

As a comparisson, if Kovalchuk plays 2 shitty seasons and for some insane reason the Devils decided to buy him out (assuming his no movement clause made that possible, which it does not), he would need to be bought out of his remaining 90 million in salary, of which 2/3 is 59.99, paid out over the next thirty (!!!) years, a cap hit of $2 million large.

For once, the Rangers made a deal that wasn't ridiculous. They have signed Alexander Frolov to a one year deal for $3 million. He is a bit of an inconsistent player, but has scored more then twenty for five seasons until this last one, where he was moved down the line-up a little. If he scores 20 and 55 points, 3 million is not too bad. If he scores 30 goals and 60 to 65 points, then 3 million is a bargain.

Edited by Toe

I personally would have liked him on the Leafs. But then again, I would like a lot of people on the Leafs.

Let's trade Kabs for Crosby, Ovie, Malkin, Luongo, and Kane. The 4 teams will play in a fatal fourway, the last team to be scored on gets Kabs.

For once, the Rangers made a deal that was ridiculous. They have signed Alexander Frolov to a one year deal for $3 million. He is a bit of an inconsistent player, but has scored more then twenty for five seasons until this last one, where he was moved down the line-up a little. If he scores 20 and 55 points, 3 million is not too bad. If he scores 30 goals and 60 to 65 points, then 3 million is a bargain.

Please tell me this is sarcasm. Boogaard at 6.5 Mil over 4 years isn't ridiculous?

However, best of luck to Frolov in NY. Would've loved to have him here in St. Louis.

Rumors are Boston is talking with Guerin, but they'll have to make a move to get him. Penguins remain interested in him as well.

For once, the Rangers made a deal that was ridiculous. They have signed Alexander Frolov to a one year deal for $3 million. He is a bit of an inconsistent player, but has scored more then twenty for five seasons until this last one, where he was moved down the line-up a little. If he scores 20 and 55 points, 3 million is not too bad. If he scores 30 goals and 60 to 65 points, then 3 million is a bargain.

Please tell me this is sarcasm. Boogaard at 6.5 Mil over 4 years isn't ridiculous?

However, best of luck to Frolov in NY. Would've loved to have him here in St. Louis.

Rumors are Boston is talking with Guerin, but they'll have to make a move to get him. Penguins remain interested in him as well.

I meant to say wasn't. I edited my post.

The Flames re-signed Ian White today, which puts them over the cap.

Something will have to be done to right the cap situation before the season starts, and as far as I'm concerned, I see two options. Move Steve Staios for draft picks or prospects... or buy out Ales Kotalik.

I'd rather them move Staios, as we have the defensive depth to cover that loss. Of course, there's a third and more likely option, and that is that Cory Sarich gets traded away, but that just doesn't make any sense to do for any reason other than to free up cap space, and as I've said, there are two better options for the team. Staios is unneccessary and his cap hit is ridiculous for what he brings to the table on our team. Buying out Kotalik is dangerous though, because we get a cap hit for the remainder of his contract, and our offensive ranks aren't particularly loaded like our defense is. Kotalik's numbers haven't been great, but if he ever breaks out, he'll be extremely dangerous.

So, like I said, I would favor a trade of Steve Staios for picks or prospects.

Anti Niemi was awarded $2.75 million in arbitration. Chicago walked away and signed Marty Turco on the cheap. So, there is a new goaltender on the UFA market. I'm not sure how many teams are still looking to add a goaltender, but I cannot imagine him being unsigned for long.

Source - http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=329318