Alien Swarm

Black Majik

Being released on Monday. For free. Forever.

The tl;dr of it is that it was a mod of an Unreal Tournament, and Valve ended up hiring the mod makers to make it into an actual game on the new source engine. So the game tests the new engine and will be released for people who don't have UT. Looks like it will be awesome fun.

... anybody want to play when it's released? :shifty:

Steam forums complain about everything new though, finding the bugs to pick out rather than just enjoying the game itself at first. Most of the reason why I don't go on them.

These scores say otherwise. Plus I want to see the new source engine. Downloading now, I'll edit my thoughts in about it later.

EDIT: One hour and a half download. Server's have cleared up. I read through the steam forums anyway, just to see. There appears to be a few bugs, but the bugs look like they're getting fixed. I wouldn't run it on a bad computer though. :<

Here's the F.A.Q. on it, if you want to read.

EDIT AGAIN: Game is awesome fun. Requires lots of teamwork though.

Edited by Black Majik

Sounds like it's a real mess. Everything on the steam forums relating to it is a negative. Going to wait a while, to see how it plays out before wasting 2gb.

I don't know what you've been watching, even on Steam forums people are largely positive, which is rare.

I downloaded and played it for 2 hours today, immediately joined a friend and we completed like 5/6 missions on Hard, but then someone left and a noob joined who just stood in 1 spot the entire time with a flamethrower and that flamethrower was extremely vital, to burn down certain parts to continue on. So we ended up dying and we all said fuck it. The game really requires teamwork, which I like. It runs extremely smooth too on my average PC.

Edited by The Quasi Juice

Yeah, I don't understand what they were talking about. I've only played the offline practice, but it's great from what I've seen so far. It's a shame you can't do the whole game on your own (I think), but I guess it is a team-based game. I'm a lil' wary about playing online in any game, but I'll try to give it a shot over the next few days... at least I'll be able to blend in with the other people who don't know what they're doing. :pervert:

Yeah, I don't understand what they were talking about. I've only played the offline practice, but it's great from what I've seen so far. It's a shame you can't do the whole game on your own (I think), but I guess it is a team-based game. I'm a lil' wary about playing online in any game, but I'll try to give it a shot over the next few days... at least I'll be able to blend in with the other people who don't know what they're doing. :pervert:

I've played it online several times now (I'm around lvl 15) and it has seriously the most mature community I've ever seen. Most people are helpful, willing to strategize and friendly. Also a surprising amount of English speaking people which is always a plus. I hate those Frenchies and Polish who constantly speak their own language.

Just tried it out for the first time, it is immense fun. It isn't as time consuming as Left 4 Dead but it isn't too short either.

And concering all the hate (or love or whatever) it has supposedly gotten, there were a host of patches released either late yesterday or today that should have fixed alot of bugs. So, why are you not playing this game?