Football Manager 2011

Dan

So I've got FA Cup winners Arsenal in the Community Shield, and their new manager (that Mexico assistant manager I mentioned earlier) has set them up in a 1-3-4-2 formation, wherein the defence has 1 sweeper, 1 centre-back (directly in front of him) and the two full-backs.

Is this guy crazy or is there a genius to this I do not understand?

(P.S. The sweeper is Michael Mancienne, who is deemed 'unconvincing' in that position)

So I've got FA Cup winners Arsenal in the Community Shield, and their new manager (that Mexico assistant manager I mentioned earlier) has set them up in a 1-3-4-2 formation, wherein the defence has 1 sweeper, 1 centre-back (directly in front of him) and the two full-backs.

Is this guy crazy or is there a genius to this I do not understand?

(P.S. The sweeper is Michael Mancienne, who is deemed 'unconvincing' in that position)

This needs testing. Considering my implosion from 1st to 5th, I might be one to do that (Y)

Well they didn't fold easily (beat them 3-2), so there may be something in it. On the other hand, my team supposedly was at a 'disadvantage' to theirs in all five areas according to my pre-match meeting. That may matter more.

"Hereford's 6 games lost in a row between Tuesday 24th August 2010 and Tuesday 11th August 2015 is a new English League Cup record."

That's some pretty long-term failure, right there.

The Irish revolution begins at Luton!

I loaded all players from Ireland as well as a few other nations and now have Terry Dixon and Glenn Crowe up front. It's safe to say they'll fuck shit up in the BSP.

Well they didn't fold easily (beat them 3-2), so there may be something in it. On the other hand, my team supposedly was at a 'disadvantage' to theirs in all five areas according to my pre-match meeting. That may matter more.

There's no way that can work against a team playing a through balls and a counter attack with 2/3 forwards.

Though I've heard that a sweeper is surprisingly effective with this match engine.

My sweeper usually had a great game when I briefly dabbled with the Napoli-style tactic I based on a formation I'd seen online (SW/DC/DC/WBL/WBR/MC/MC/AML/AMR/ST) and my sweeper was Woodgate and later Edmilson as injury cover so...maybe there's something to that?

Started a game with Spurs. Beat Arsenal at Arsenal 3-0 in the first game. Then draw 0-0 against West Brom at home and lose 3-1 away to Fulham......bizarre.

Pretty realistic! Rock the big games, fold horribly in the smaller ones, don't break down smaller teams coming to WHL..

My clearout is in full swing. With Vertonghen coming into defence that frees up a couple of back-up defenders to leave. Also Mollo's return from his AC Milan loan means that I've got right wing covered between him and Bentley. Also I've got plans to bring in Keisuke Honda when he's over his injury so my midfield has NO ROOM at all for hangers on as I'll have:

LEFT: Bulot/Kranjcar/O'Hara

CENTRE: Coutadeur/Haruna/Honda/Kranjcar/O'Hara/Mendy

RIGHT: Bentley/Honda/Mollo

Lovely.

So anyway AS Monaco wish the following all the best in their future endeavours:

Numerous youngsters who won't make it.

Pascal Feindouno (M R) - Released

Sebastien Chabbert (GK) - £675k

Thomas Mangani (DDM C) - £1mil

Daniel Niculae (AMST C) - £1mil

Adriano (D RC) - £1mil

Chris Malonga (M L) - £2.5mil

Distel Zola's out on loan again until I can decide whether I have plans for him or not.

I have, however, brought in a young Chinese regen JUST because he was the only decent player in the Chinese U21 squad. He's ok, can get some time with youth and reserves and may sell some shirts in China. :shifty:

My sweeper usually had a great game when I briefly dabbled with the Napoli-style tactic I based on a formation I'd seen online (SW/DC/DC/WBL/WBR/MC/MC/AML/AMR/ST) and my sweeper was Woodgate and later Edmilson as injury cover so...maybe there's something to that?

Your sweeper was Edmilson then :P.

I'm in Feb in my Benfica game. Managed to finish top of the CL Group Stage (ahead of Man Utd, beat them 2-0 at home and drew 0-0 away) and now I've got a tricky knock out round match against Dynamo Kiev. Our form in the league is... well, bizarre. We're either beating teams 4 or 5-0 or losing by the odd goal. Buddying up to Sir Alex over my two matches with them has put me in good stead. I managed to nab Macheda and Obertan on-loan in the January transfer window. Macheda has formed a brilliant partnership with Cardoza up front while Obertan has been playing second fiddle to Park Ji Sung as a AMR.

And 30 June rolls around. I've pretty much lost half of my team because my wages were such that I couldn't offer anyone the contract they wanted. So I've brought up two regens and hopefully I'll sign two good defenders, a ML and a striker and be able to push for promotion. If not then I'm pretty much out of the door, Dresden say I must win the Third Division >_<

Edit: In the German Cup I draw Bayern Munich <_< But it's at home so that'll make some gate money.

I've started a new game with six league's enabled. I've gone with the first job I was offered, which was the Wolfsburg team in Germany. So we'll see how this goes. Definitely looking to move to another team within the next two years, but I'm hoping having more league's will just increase my enjoyment of the game as I'll be able to access more talent.

Just looking through my Steam achievements and randomly I've managed to win the Manager of the Year award (for a game with Blackburn where I won the FA Cup, got the League Cup final and finished 7th) but I am yet to win the Manager of the Month award.