What is your favourite sport?

METALMAN

59 members have voted

1. 1. Favourite sport?

• Football (soccer to those of the American persuasion)
    • American Football (football to those of the American persuasion)
    • Baseball
    • Ice Hockey
    • Cricket
    • Basketball
    • Cycling
    • Rugby
    • Tennis
    • something else. maybe golf?

There should have been seperate options for Rugby Union and Rugby League.

I know in some parts of the world it's fashionable to just use the term Rugby and act like there aren't two different codes(america :shifty: ) but it's not entirely accurate.

To be fair, nobody outside of Australia and northern England gives a flying fuck about rugby league. ¬_¬

My favourite sports are Rugby Union (the real one), followed by football, then probably cricket. I quite like tennis when Wimbledon is on (or on the Wii ¬_¬). Also like Formula One, but I rarely make an effort to watch it.

But, but... uncontested scrums? No lineouts? Only six tackles and you have to give the ball back? No flankers, and your Number 8 wears 13?! (Reil doesn't look good in 13 ¬_¬).

Rugby League is like bizarro world. ¬_¬

I will admit that perhaps rugby league is more 'exciting' to watch to a casual fan, less kicking and faster paced, but I wouldn't ever take it over Union. Certainly wouldn't ever play it, since I' have to wear 13 and like, run and stuff. ¬_¬

Edited by Farmer Reil

But, but... uncontested scrums? No lineouts? Only six tackles and you have to give the ball back? No flankers, and your Number 8 wears 13?! (Reil doesn't look good in 13 ¬_¬).

Rugby League is like bizarro world. ¬_¬

I will admit that perhaps rugby league is more 'exciting' to watch to a casual fan, less kicking and faster paced, but I wouldn't ever take it over Union. Certainly wouldn't ever play it, since I' have to wear 13 and like, run and stuff. ¬_¬

I grew up watching the Challenge Cup Rugby League and Six Nations Rugby Union on Grandstand. So yeah, that's basically why I fall on the club side for League and the International game for Union by a large margin.

• Like 1

Most Rugby I've seen looks more like a competitive surrender than an actual contest, like "shit I'm gonna get touched best kick the ball to the other fucking team". I went to a few Gloucester games last season and it was alright, but yeah the kicking it to the other team thing annoys the hell out of me.

Contested scrums are fucking SHIT nowadays anyway, and take an age to actually fucking work.

Yes, I fucking hate scrums. :/

:shifty:

You're only saying that because you're English. I'm fairly sure our props are actually bovine, such is their tendency to eat the grass during scrums. Australia used to be fucking horrendous too, not looking at any Matt Dunning in particular though, Matt Dunning. Mentioning no Matt Dunning names in particular, especially not Matt Dunning. :shifty:

But when it's done properly (ie., France (especially when Harinordoquy is at 8), South Africa, New Zealand, Ireland when they're not losing/desperate) scrimmaging isn't a problem.

I said cycling but it's probably a draw with football. When the footy season gets started I'll be getting excited about that and then cycling takes over in the summer (now that I'm away from the UK and cricket isn't covered here in Japan AT ALL).

They're probably the only two sports that actually stir my emotions to watch (outside of England/Britian competing in an event, in which case I get excited). I FEEL it inside when Spurs score and I get incredibly nervous when things are looking bad.

I feel the emotions inside when Cavendish wins a sprint, or Millar attacks on a breakaway, or when a rider is closing in on the finish for a time trial....Or when a rider powers away from the others up a mountain. No other sports do that.