How Do I Get Into X?

Bigal

I wanna get into Helmet and other similar bands. I obviously know "Unsung" and really like the chorus of "Crashing Foreign Cars". I've got "Size Matters" and "Meantime" (their respective albums) to listen to and have also heard all of their latest album (released this year) on Spotify.

• 2 weeks later...

I wanna get into Helmet and other similar bands. I obviously know "Unsung" and really like the chorus of "Crashing Foreign Cars". I've got "Size Matters" and "Meantime" (their respective albums) to listen to and have also heard all of their latest album (released this year) on Spotify.

I've got Meantime as well and the only other album I also like is Betty. Some of their later stuff I'm not too into. So I would look into Betty.

As for bands with a similar sound, check out The Jesus Lizard. I have the album Goat which is good. Maybe even the Melvins, but of course they're more sludge than that alternative rock, post-hardcore(?) "Helmet" sound.

• 1 month later...

How about Type O Negative?

Stay away from their first two albums, as it's their phasing-out-of-thrash stage that they were doing. Start with October Rust for the softer stuff, World Coming Down for the slower, deeper doom metal, Bloody Kisses for straight goth rock/goth metal, or Life Is Killing Me for some normal metal with depressing/humorous overtones.