How Do I Get Into X?

Bigal

Apologies if this has been done before, but I thought it would be useful to have a thread where members can ask for good jumping-on points for getting into new artists/genres etc. Hopefully, that's not stupidly vague.

Anyway, I'll kick off with Elvis Costello. Someone recommend an album or two to start with.

While I've never been a huge Elvis Costello fan, I'd definitely start with My Aim is True and This Year's Model. Both are pretty good albums, My Aim Is True is pretty good from top to bottom, the songs are catchy and lively. I'd go more into detail but I honestly don't know much more than that, but I think you'll find those two albums as good starting points for him.

If anybody could suggest me some kind of techno/electronic similar in style to Prodigy or Chemical Brothers it would be appreciated.

For Prodigy/Chemical Brothers stuff...not all massively alike;

CJ Bolland ("The 4th Sign" in particular, cracking album)

The Crystal Method

65daysofstatic (well "We Were Exploding Anyway")

The Qemists

Fatboy Slim

Underworld

Apologies if this has been done before, but I thought it would be useful to have a thread where members can ask for good jumping-on points for getting into new artists/genres etc. Hopefully, that's not stupidly vague.

Anyway, I'll kick off with Elvis Costello. Someone recommend an album or two to start with.

This Year's Model. Definitely definitely.

I really want to get into nasty horrible shouty metal music. Just because it's the only type of music I don't like at least something from.

I think I remember you saying you didn't like Lamb of God, so I won't suggest them :shifty:

Some bands to consider, and I'll try to have as broad as a spectrum as I can:

Earlier Bury Your Dead(their latest album completely shifted it from hardcore to stuff like Disturbed/singy metal/etc)

Chimaira as Dragsy suggested

All That Remains

Five Finger Death Punch

August Burns Red

Arch Enemy

God Forbid

As I Lay Dying

In Flames

Heaven Shall Burn

That's all I can think of off the top of my head, I'll try to come up with more later(or hopefully someone else does.)

...rubbish. "Rockin' The Suburbs" is the best thing he's done, although the self-titled "Ben Folds Five" album is close.

His last two albums have been a little hit and miss, "Songs For Silverman" is a lot like "Futures" by Jimmy Eat World in that it totally tails off at the halfway point. "Way To Normal" probably has more good than bad too; "Dr Yang", "Effington", "You Don't Know Me", "Brainwashed", "Cologne", "Bitch Went Nuts"...and I found myself singing "Hiroshima" while making a cup of tea the other day (nobody else was in :shifty:), so whilst I don't think it's that good a song, I think subconsciously I probably like it.

Besides the first two albums mentioned, he's always a little hit and miss. "Whatever And Ever Amen" is pretty solid throughout but "...Reinhold Messner" fhas some crap on it. When he's hit, he's stunning though.

Edited by YI

Ben Folds/Ben Folds Five

Whatever and Ever Amen first, Ben Folds Five second (you can switch those though but I think the former is honestly the better record, as the latter has some stuff like "Sports and Wine" and "Uncle Walter" that bore the shit out of me), Rockin' the Suburbs third, Reinhold Messner fourth (it has some amazing highs in the first two tracks, "Army," and "Lullabye" but also some stretches of songs that don't have much repeat value). After that, I dunno. Get "Landed" off Songs For Silverman but you don't really need anything else off that one, and nothing from Way to Normal has interested me that I've heard.