Civilization Thread!

Ruki

Movin' on UP to Prince! Got given Arabia. Got beaten to great libary by four turns. Think I might have to go for faith-based culture or political victory.

Yeah, on Prince, you might as well forget that most Ancient and Classical Wonders exist. The only one from that period I've been able to consistently get is the Oracle.

Yeah, no one ever does Oracle. The Library you need done by turn 50.

Why they ignore it, I don't know. One free social policy, +3 Culture per turn. It's not great, but I do love free social policies. There's only a handful of Wonder's I want before the Industrial Age, the chief one being Sistine Chapel for the +25% Culture per city. I don't need crazy great work buildings to win Culture. I just have to play my cards right, which is pretty much: Finish Oxford right before I discover Industrialization; use the free tech for Scientific Theory, begin building Factories, beeline Radio for Modern Era, and then either Order or Freedom. Order will give me a nice research edge (+25% science per factory, holy shit), and both are good regarding tourism. At that point, you can start taking your pick of Wonders while the AI tries to catch-up.

The Oracle is a very good wonder actually. It's usually possible to even put it off until the Renaissance (assuming you go the quick way through Astronomy) and grab Rationalism with it. It comes at a time when your culture is still low but social policies are starting to get expensive. I almost always build it.

You know, I think I may redo my Oxford push into both Scientific Theory and Industrialization, instead burning it when ST is almost done, so I can grab the next free tech on the way to Radio. This would be fantastic if I'm planning to go Order, since it would cut back on production time of factories (which I usually can't build anyway thanks to an immediate lack of coal anyway :shifty: ) .

You may not have actually done - have you left certain tech lines unlearned as you beeline for something else? I always leave Sailing unlearned until I can quickly grab Astronomy for the Observatory. It shows me as one of the weakest tech Civs when actually I'm the strongest, I'm just focused more specifically.

RE: Plubby.

Beeline wise, what is everyone's general strategy?

I tend to go: Whatever improves my immediate surroundings --> Theology -- Education --> Scientific Theory --> Radio, then adjust as needed for how I plan to win.

Unless you are, wait for it...the Huns!

kg0gkeT.png

:shifty:

Oh yeah, looks like Electricity, the next step up from Scientific Theory, requires Industrialization. Going back to my original plan, then :shifty: .

• Like 1

The economy should be fine on that route though, considering that Industrialization needs Economics (which needs Banking, etc), plus Radio needs Electricity (Stock Markets!). The only drawback to this route is the complete lack of naval power.

Well, the use them in the sense that they build them, and I do agree with having a ranged ship in a city for the boost it provides to defense. However, I've found naval power to be fantastic for wars, since it can make taking cities trivial.

Beeline science techs, rush to Dynamite, get Artillery, win.

Although I did just fire up my old Ottomans save (TURN 1: i have just taken sejong's city and a city-state ally as it turns out so EVERYONE HATES ME) and got a ton of mileage out of Range-promoted Frigates. I also got a metric fuckton of Caravels from Barbary Corsairs and so had a tiny suicide ship army as well. Prize Ships is by far my favorite promotion because YOINK

• Like 1

You may not have actually done - have you left certain tech lines unlearned as you beeline for something else? I always leave Sailing unlearned until I can quickly grab Astronomy for the Observatory. It shows me as one of the weakest tech Civs when actually I'm the strongest, I'm just focused more specifically.

RE: Plubby.

I am pretty sure I am like fourteen techs behind everyone else, and the rest of the map warred me after I wiped out Catherine (despite Warring Catherine at Germany's reqeust, and they were third to war me. Jerks)