Pro Evolution Soccer 2011

Timmoru Suzuki

Just make an EU PSN account if you really want to play it.

I've played this demo more and really I'm sorry, but this isn't better than FIFA in any concievable way. The graphics, presentation and gameplay, all inferior.

Oh and maybe the reason Messi feels more like Messi in PES is because he's the cover star and he did motion-captioning for Konami. Any method of EA capturing Messi would be less accurate no matter what. If he didn't feel more like Messi on PES, I'd be seriously worried about Konami.

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gameplay wise, it's better then FIFA by several country miles, not that FIFA is bad at all. FIFA does have better presentation, though Pro Evo does look good this year, and while FIFA looks amazing, I'm not going to be sold a game for graphics. FIFA is considerably better for player animations, and I wish PES was closer to FIFA in that regard. FIFA just looks smoother and more true to life.

Am I the only one who doesn't really use trick/skill moves in football games? I've always found them to be hit and miss, and I'd rather just go for the safe options of using speed and/or the tight dribble/big touch buttons to get past a player. It's the same when I play FIFA.

Last year was such a major disappointment. Up until that point, it was Pro. Fifa didn't even come close for me. Last year though was a real let down and Fifa in all honesty was just miles ahead. Well I just finally got a new subscription for Live (mainly just to download these two demos) and it's safe to say Pro is BACK :w00t:

First thing is how happy I am they gave us 10 minute games for the demo, it really gives you a chance to get the feel of it and have a proper game. It's just back to being such a great football game. The problem I have with Fifa and always have is how easy it is after a short amount of time. Whereas Pro is back to how it used to be, a real challenge. It takes a while to really get a grip of the game and play at a top level. When you really get the hang of things, it's just so rewarding. It just plays more like football to me and the games just feel much more exciting and challenging.

Just had a few games with Barcelona and then with Chivas. Got to say I actually really enjoyed it more with Chivas, ended up winning 4-2. The fourth was a beauty, the back heels are lovely. Really need to get used to the power though, shouldn't take too long, very touch sensative. Love the movement of passes and the way they curl and spin. The long passing just puts Fifa to shame really. I am annoyed however that they make you watch a four/five minute video after you finish a match (you cant skip it?). Also, haven't looked yet, is the diving still in there?

I was without a doubt getting Fifa next week, but not any more. It's not to say Fifa isn't good either, because that game grew on me with 10 and I'll certainly pick it up at some point, but Pro is back to being my number one. The only sad thing is the 18 or so days wait till it comes out :crying:

After playing some more, I've acquired a few gripes.

• Auto-kick-off. Why? The the amount of times I've tapped X to kick-off but do it right at the moment that the game does it for you and I instead give the ball away is numerous.
  • Shots seem to float away a fair bit.
  • The lack of a button to make a team mate run button as mentioned. I think it depends on the team/player/tactics though.
  • Have they changed the controlled shot thing now? I always remember I could hold R2 and then shoot to place it, but doing that means it flies away. You seemingly have to tap R2 as the power bar is up. Lame.
  • Because of the above, the animation is a little off. You press the shoot button and the player will wind his leg back to do a normal shot, but when you press R2, the animation will change.
  • Having to press start to skip cutscenes/replays instead of X.
  • I noticed that the players don't have studs on their boots. It shouldn't and doesn't really bother me, but once I noticed it, I can't un-notice it. ¬_¬

The R2/LT thing is still in, I have no problem just holding it and it does it anyway. The shooting is also very touch sensative, sometimes only needs a quick tap. Think the shooting is something that will take a while to really get the hang of and master, which is a good thing. I've noticed a few added little motions in some of the shots, outside of the boot etc. Chipped shots is still the hardest thing for me, very hard to get the power right as well as the timing.

Played way more of this, loving it really. I also must say the skills are much more improved here and once you get the hang of it, pretty damn good when you pull it off. It's not easy either and it's best to work on some linking to get the right ones, because I hate the little kick ahead with the side foot and still am not too keen on the spin, so use the links without them mostly now.

I also noticed during some celebrations you can run with the guy, is that meant to be in or a glitch on the demo?

I almost went three games without scoring, until a last minute goal gave me victory as Barca. Some of the misses were getting silly; my favourite being Pique hitting the bar from about 4 yards out when I barely touched the shoot button - I barely even touched the air above the shoot button. I know it wasn't like the chance fell to Villa or Messi, but still.

Yes, I do realise that story had little point. It just irritated me.

In other bits, I'm finding the through-balls to be REALLY erratic. Some games 99% of them come off, other times 99% either go nowhere close to where I aimed them, or have no power, or both. I can't decide if it's me being very inconsistent, or the game randomly deciding to be a dick, or them being VERY context sensitive (they're sensitive to context!).

I'm getting bored of the same four teams.

I'm deciding which teams to use to play through some competitions when the game comes out. I'm thinking World Cup with England, Euro's with Germany or Spain, Champions League with Man Utd or Bayern, and the Europa League with Man City.

• 2 weeks later...

I had this sent to me today - I would've preferred it on PS3, but the bloke I got it off only had a 360 copy left, so I took it.

Blimey, I thought FIFA 11's legendary difficulty was hard - top player on this is very difficult, too. I really like the game, but it lacks a "player run" button, which FIFA has implemented over the last 3 years and it works well.

Just like in PES 2010, there are times when I'll have the ball on the wing with say, Rafael, but Valencia will just stand there, making no attempt to run on the over-lap. The presentation of the CL mode is top notch just like before, and the player faces are amazing.

One other thing that's irking me at the moment is how sometimes the ball will seem to get stuck under your player's feet before he can run with it, and then at the most inopportune time, it'll bounce off him too far and you lose possession.

It's very addictive - I'm not gonna bother doing any editing to the fake team names/kits/badges, seeing as once it's released there'll be option files to download with everything done, and besides, there's enough licensed teams to run a decent Champions League game.

...but man, do I suck. I'm finding it difficult to score - and for the most part it's most definitely a good thing, because it isn't as if I'm not creating the chances. I'll no doubt play this some more tomorrow, and try to get good at it. :shifty:

I'll be getting it of course next Friday, but just a question Baddar. Are Hernandez or Bebe at United? I'm guessing not. Better question, is Bebe even in the game? There's a squad update planned in a few weeks I think, so that'll sort some stuff out, but I was just hoping Bebe would at least be in the game.

Advert for Tesco in the Metro earlier saying that it's available from Midnight for £30 in their stores.

I'm at work tomorrow afternoon and a Tesco is on the way in, so I'll stop by, pick it up, then be distracted at work cos I'll just wanna go home and play PES.

I'm bored and watching an online video of Man Utd vs. Tottenham and they've put relevant chants in (I assume for licenced teams only), an example being in a dull midfield passing session the Man Utd fans start chanting "Solskjaer, my Ole Solskjaer, You make me happy when skies are grey, Oh Alan Shearer, he might be dearer but please don't take my Solksjaer away!"

Solksjaer's my all time favourite player. I came.

EDIT - Okay, now they haven't stopped chanting it...