2011 MLB Season

sahyder1

This is seriously better then last season when Oswalt was in left field..

He's trying to keep his arm warm now...wow..this is seriously fantastic..

I really wish they'd shut the hell up about Poseys injury. Who is that..McCarver..? Thjats all he's gone on about tonight during the Phillies/Mets game on Fox. "Well they need to change the rule so the baserunner can't charge the catcher"

No they don't. If it wasn't the Giants star player, no one would've cared about it happening

McCarver probably won't let it go because he was a catcher when he played.

But I do think they need to change the rules, because catchers blocking the plate has too much of a chance of someone getting injured. Let catchers straddle the plate the way fielders are allowed to do with the bases, but make blocking it outright interference.

Some of my favorite baseball moments when I was a kid involved catchers blocking the plate. (Look up footage of catchers trying that against Pete Rose, for example) But its just not worth the risk.

Edited by GhostMachine

Too much injury risk, the Catcher shouldn't be able to block the entire base and the runner shouldn't be allowed to spear the Catcher. It's been a much-needed rule change for a long time. When baseball rules were first written, nobody had it in mind that home plate collisions could be as vicious as they are now.

• Like 1

So apparently six Yankees lead the American League in All-Star Voting. Martin/Tex/Cano/Jeter/A-Rod/Granderson. I'm a Yankee fan, and even I'm embarassed.

Jeter shouldn't be anywhere near an All Star team. At least with the other five you can at least make a debate. Not to mention Mariano, and possibly CC, will also be heading to the game.

• Like 2

Yeah, but toward the end of his career, Ripken kept making All-Stars despite batting below .250. It's not a game for the players with the best stats. It's a game to see the big names play.

That's exactly how the All Star voting works. The casual fan, who doesn't know the stats of the season, will always choose Jeter over Asdrubal Cabrera or some other, more worthy shortstop.

The point was he could have his all-star votes. And why are people morons for voting Jeter? Because they want to see Jeter? Again, the All-Star game has never been about stats. If Jeter is who people want to see, and apparently he is, so be it.

People can vote for whoever they want. Doesn't mean they aren't morons for wanting to watch a guy hitting a touch above .260 with under a hundred RBIs over his last 1,000 at bats.

It's a popularity contest and it should be a popularity contest because it's a game for the fans. It's a nice nod for a lot of these guys to get selected for the All-Star Game, but most of the real deserving guys do get picked in as reserves. Nobody had any problem when Ripken and Ozzie Smith were starting at SS in the AL and NL respectively. I hate the Yankees as much as anyone (maybe more? I'm a fucking Orioles fan), but people want to see Jeter in the All-Star Game as he's one of the most iconic figures in the history of the sport. If the fans want the guy to play, then there's absolutely nothing wrong with it.

• Like 3

Hey sahyder, who else is coming up on 3000 hits in MLB? The man is about to break a historical milestone. If you'd stop being a Yankee-hater for just two seconds, maybe you'd realize that people may just prefer to watch a future Hall of Famer than not? I guess all those people that kept voting Ripken in, despite him hitting under .250 in his twilight years were morons too, right? Or would that only have been the case if he had been wearing pinstripes throughout his career?

• Like 3