2010/2011 College Basketball

bill_da_bill

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOWN TO WASHINGTON (ba da da DUM)

Fucking ecstatic right now.

To steal a phrase from the Ducks (*hackhack* I think I'm breaking out in hives now)... Huck the Fuskies.

SO HEAAAAAAAAAAVEN HELP THE FOES OF WAAAAASHINGTOOOOOOOOOON

THEY'RE TREMBLING AT THE FEET OF MIGHTY WAAAAAASHINGTOOOOOOON

:shifty:

UConn game was also fantastic, good on them.

Terrible to see Harvard lose, I was really pulling for them to end the streak. For it to not happen on a shot like that is pretty rough.

Arizona lost a spot at a 2 seed in the West last night.

Really pulling for Dayton today, it'd be great to see them and Penn State burst some bubbles. And anytime Ohio State loses is a good day.

The East is LOADED.

Ohio State, UNC, Syracuse & Kentucky are the top 4 seeds. There are 2 other Big East teams in the bracket meaning that the conference has at least 9 in the draw. Washington won the Pac-10 tourney yesterday and gets to travel all the way across the country for the 7 seed.

The West looks cushy by comparison with Duke/SDSU/UConn/Texas at the top. OSU looks like they got a raw deal as the overall # 1 to me. They don't have to travel far, but they're playing against better quality teams IMO.

The SW looks pretty weak too - Kansas/Notre Dame/Purdue/Louisville.

Finishing things off in the SE, you've got Pitt/Florida/BYU/Wisconsin. BYU vs either Gonzaga or St. John's in the 2nd round would be pretty sweet.

I know that Pitt will inevitably choke like dogs, but they've got the easiest path to the Final Four of the 4 #1 seeds.

Edited by naiwf

It looks like all of the teams I hate (OSU, UNC, Kansas) are going to make deep runs and Notre Dame with that dickhead Hansbrough is the Big East's best chance of making the Final Four <_<

I might be retarded here, but I can actually see a way that SDSU could take the whole thing.

I don't like how they've done the four play in games... I thought they would have done it with the 8 worst teams play the play in games and then enter as the 16 seed, just think that is the fairest way to do it... instead you've got two play in games for 11th or 12th seed, I don't think thats right...

As for the bracket... I think Ohio State has a pretty cushy run to the Elite Eight where things start getting tough... The west and southeast brackets look shit but I still think Duke makes it out of the west easily and BYU loses in the first round to Wofford!

How the hell does Florida end up with a 2 seed? Granted I havn't paid much attention to them this season, but I don't think they've done anything to special have they... plus they didn't even win the SEC tournament...

In the end the only #1 seed I can see struggling in this field is still Pitt (even with an easy looking field)...

I am intrigued by some of the smaller first round matchups though... like Kansas State vs Utah State or St. Johns vs Gonzaga...

There were a few teams that got snubbed that I'd rather see in but I guess not everybody can be happy today... I'm still looking forward to what should be an action packed tournament!

Edit - I also just joined the yahoo pick em thing and my bracket is the "Come on Duke!!!" one...

Edited by phatman

I don't like how they've done the four play in games... I thought they would have done it with the 8 worst teams play the play in games and then enter as the 16 seed, just think that is the fairest way to do it... instead you've got two play in games for 11th or 12th seed, I don't think thats right.

The last at-large teams are always 11/12 seeds. 13 through 16 seeds always end up being the conference winners from the small conferences. It actually works out in the end.

Now who they picked for those 11/12 seeds are laughable. I hope Jay Bilas gives it to the chair of the committee when they interview him

I can't understand Florida getting a 2 seed.

I think the regions are pretty even outside of the Southeast where I actually think I like Kansas State as the best team there. BYU is struggling, Florida is overrated and so is Wisconsin. And Pittsburgh chokes every year. I actually wouldn't be suprised to see Pittsburgh lose in round 2 to be honest.

I don't see Duke as having an easy road at all. San Diego St., U Conn and Texas is tough. When Texas is on their as good as anyone, their just inconsistent as all hell. And U Conn has one of the two best players in the country who can dominate a game like no one else.

http://tournament.fantasysports.yahoo.com/t1/group/69152

Click here, if you need something to do :shifty: *cough* DO IT *cough*

I have groups on ESPN too as well as a Yahoo one that I had last year that 6 people who were in last year and are in again already. Anyone know if there is a way to import history into the NCAA Tournament Groups on Yahoo like you can do for all of their other fantasy sports? Does anyone remember who won last year?

http://tournament.fantasysports.yahoo.com/t1/group/69152

Click here, if you need something to do :shifty: *cough* DO IT *cough*

I have groups on ESPN too as well as a Yahoo one that I had last year that 6 people who were in last year and are in again already. Anyone know if there is a way to import history into the NCAA Tournament Groups on Yahoo like you can do for all of their other fantasy sports? Does anyone remember who won last year?

Apparently, I did. I'll have to try and find my bracket when I get back from vacation.

lnkone.gif

lnktwo.gif

Also, I made an EWB group for the Uber Challenge on ESPN: http://games.espn.go.com/uber/group?groupID=19999

Group: EWB, Password: EWB

One of the supervisors at my work (and Virginia Tech grad) was saying that the Hokies were essentially screwed out of the tournament by the ACC lobbying for other teams in the conference. According to the theory, and I have no idea where he got this from - VT was left out of the tournament in exchange for Duke and UNC to be 1 and 2 seeds rather than 2 and 3 seeds.

That and Colorado being left out is a result of the Big 12 lobbying against them for bolting to the Pac 12.

I'm sorry but I find that to be pretty stupid... I think both Duke & North Carolina deserve #1 & #2 seed, maybe you could make a case for UNC to get a #3 seed in the end but if they can justify giving Florida a #2 seed than UNC definately deserve a #2 also... What I can't understand though is how Florida State made it in over Virginia Tech, when I think both teams should have missed out all together but to say its that the ACC was lobbying for for other teams is stupid... If you had to pick one to go through, wouldn't you pick the team that beat the other only days before selection sunday?

Colorado didn't really deserve it either, thats why they were left out, well thats why I would have left them out anyway... geez, they finished 21-13, they won some big games towards the end of the year but NIT is rightfully where they along with VT and Florida State should be... T

How doesn't a team like Saint Mary's make the field but teams like VCU does? I think some of the seeding for this years tournament is off but its the same with any NCAA selection event, its not going to make everyone happy and I'd still rather this system than the BCS...

UNC-Ashville getting the win didn't really surprise me earlier but I don't think I tipped em either... Right now though Clemson is ripping apart UAB and showing everyone that UAB definately didn't deserve that spot... Clemson vs West Virginia should be a good game to watch in the next round...

There is still time left to enter the groups that either one of us posted. Both Yahoo and ESPN are allowing entries up until tipoff on Thursday.

For those who care, Obama's bracket aired on ESPN this morning. He picked North Carolina to win it all two years ago. Last year he had picked Kansas. His womens bracket will be unveiled tomorrow morning with Doris Burke.

I hate to speak poorly about my man Charles Barkley, but I don't have a clue why the TNT studio crew is working the NCAA tournament. I was listening to them break down one of the games at the half last night, and it's pretty clear that Sir Charles and The Jet don't know anything about these teams or the players. The basic principles of basketball are the same, but hearing them say stuff like "they need to get the ball down to the 4 and 5 more often" or "this kid is really good" is just pointless. I get that the Turner networks now show games, but they're out of their league here and there's no way they're going to learn what they need to about 68 college hoops teams for 2 weeks worth of work.