X-Men First Class

Jimmy

Didn't see a topic for this so I thought I'd go ahead and make one. I was already excited for this movie, but the trailer has really made this one of the film I cannot wait for. I'm a big fan of Vaughn and have faith in his ability. Also loving the fact that it's set in the 60's and it really looks like a pretty great cast.

I thought the trailer was naff. Not for the content, I'm probably looking forward to it more now I've seen Fassbender as Magneto, it's just a really shitty trailer. The first like 3rd of it is clips from the other X-Men films.

But I'll be watching just for Fassbender. Wonderful man. :wub:

The probable reason for the crappy footage is because they're still filming. I find it nuts that they are pushing for a June release date while still in production, but whatever. The movie looks interesting, and although they've changed what First Class is (along with pretty obvious character history changes) I get why they did it, and I'm looking forward to what they got to offer.

I thought the trailer was naff. Not for the content, I'm probably looking forward to it more now I've seen Fassbender as Magneto, it's just a really shitty trailer. The first like 3rd of it is clips from the other X-Men films.

But I'll be watching just for Fassbender. Wonderful man. :wub:

Hoult and McAvoy. Yay!

I think the last thing I saw McAvoy in was The Last King of Scotland so he's still fine with me. Trailer looked fine, actually much more interesting than I'd previously expected it to be.

McAvoy is what scares me about this movie as well. It takes A LOT to get me to turn off a movie before finishing it, but I couldn't make it more than 25 minutes into Wanted without shutting it off. Easily one of the dumbest beginnings to a movie I've ever seen.

X-Men looks good though and with Matthew Vaughn on board, I'm optimistic. Hopefully we'll get a teaser for Kick-Ass 2 when this is released.

I don't like that Magneto's Helmet is introduced. Doesn't Prof. X have no idea how Magneto is blocking his ability in the first X-men movie? I know Wolverine has already deviated from the first movie but still...Some consistency would be nice.

Why does that mean Prof. X would know? Magneto might just tell him that it's to focus his powers or something. (isn't that also a function of it in the comics?)

I really hope if this film is good and they do a sequel or two that we get to see Magnetos decent into the dark side, Skywalker style. I don't really fancy seeing him turn bad at the end of this one. Hopefully it's a slow burn heel turn rather than a complete turn to the dark side in one go. There's a lot of mileage in Fassbender as Magneto going bad.

I don't like that Magneto's Helmet is introduced. Doesn't Prof. X have no idea how Magneto is blocking his ability in the first X-men movie? I know Wolverine has already deviated from the first movie but still...Some consistency would be nice.

Maybe he starts using the helmet at the very end, doesnt suit up until then, like Vader.

Hopefully they push the release date a couple weeks and edit it properly. Rather have a decent movie then another Wolverine Origins.

Maybe he starts using the helmet at the very end, doesnt suit up until then, like Vader.

Hopefully they push the release date a couple weeks and edit it properly. Rather have a decent movie then another Wolverine Origins.

Yeah but let's say they are 20 in this movie. The first X-Men movie would put their age at around 60 or 70? If X can raedminds and they are close friends...how do you hide that kind of thing?

I think one of the things that makes X who he is would be eternal optimism that those who have hate and fear in their hearts can be made to see a brighter way. Its one of the reasons he created the school in the first place.

So, he knows how Eric feels but still sees the chance to redeem his hate towards humanity. Which really is the basis for the whole character in the comics anyways.

Haha well, hes got you there, comic characters are... well, ageless.

Still, I wonder if they are going to look at what they are making and step up and actually embrace some characters with something interesting rather than fluff. I think the trend lately in comic movies is to step up and make something people that can actually AFFORD comics and love these characters can embrace. Its not like the Xmen are a niche crowd either, just like Batman.

Dont think it will be on the same level as dark knight mind you, but theres no reason they cant attempt to be. Im mildly optimistic for this movie, and much more than I was for the green hornet.

Mildly optimistic is what I'd class myself as too. I'm not expecting a lot, but with Fassbender and Vaughn, there's potential for it to be at least The Incredible Hulk levels of pretty good but not great. My only real concern is that there'll be too many characters for them to really build any of them up and make us care about any of them aside from Erik and Charles. There's a fair bit of potential with it being set in the 60's too.

• 3 months later...