2011 NFL Offseason Thread

sahyder1

What do I want the Lions to add? Definitely want to see linebackers, Julian Peterson is done as a Lion which leaves us with DeAndre Levy and a couple of guys that will make for decent depth or special teams players. They absolutely need two new starters at LB.

Speaking of the defense, a true shutdown corner would be nice, obviously they come easy but I'd love to see us pursue Asomugha. Chances are he wont land in Detroit, but it would be nice if we at least try to bring him in. Perhaps another safety, but I don't think it has to be a huge priority.

On the offensive side, I'd love to see Raiola replaced. On top of being a weak offensive lineman that gets manhandled by average DT's, the guy is just a prick and a big mouth. We could probably use a new right guard to replace Stephen Peterman though he did get better as the season went on. If nothing else, I'd like to see a couple of young guys added for development/depth purposes.

We could use a new #3 WR, though it's not a huge priority. Still, chances are Bryant Johnson will get cut and Derrick Williams will probably find the same fate at the end of pre-season.

Chances are that not all of that gets addressed, it's a pipe dream to assume the Lions can fill every need that they have, though I'm expecting them to contend for the playoffs this year. I don't see any reason that they can't make a play for the wild card this year.

8) Find a way to undo the deal with the devil from Super Bowl XLII.

:shifty:

If any team made a deal with the devil to win a Super Bowl, it's yours. Trent Dilfer sold out for a ring and a job at ESPN, Ray Lewis gave his soul up to beat a murder rap, and a team originally from CLEVELAND won a title. You think that happened without help from the dark prince? :shifty:

Looks like the Titans are in complete-rebuild mode. Lots of staff moves lately:

- Feb. 07: Mike Munchak's named Head Coach.

- Feb. 08: Mike Heimerdinger is fired from his Off. Coordinator job.

- Feb. 09: Bruce Matthews is named Off. Assistant

- Feb. 12: Jerry Gray is signed as Def. Coordinator.

Bunch of moves but still no news on the QB situation, I don't mind Kerry Collins but he's a vet and he isn't the future of this franchise or who I see as someone who can take us all the way.

Someone at another board speculated that they may try to go after Kevin Kolb. If they don't go after him or do but can't cut a deal (I'm betting its more likely he ends up with 49ers or Vikings) and decide to draft a QB instead, I just hope they don't pick Jake Locker.

Kolb? Hmm. I don't think that could work out, I don't see him as someone who fills our needs. He's not bad at all, he's decent but I don't think he is what I would like for the Titans from this point on. As for Jake Locker: I haven't watched much of him to make an opinion, what's he like? accurate, big arm, fast-agile... how?

Locker is a decent QB with a good arm, but he's had some accuracy problems.

If any team made a deal with the devil to win a Super Bowl, it's yours. Trent Dilfer sold out for a ring and a job at ESPN, Ray Lewis gave his soul up to beat a murder rap, and a team originally from CLEVELAND won a title. You think that happened without help from the dark prince? :shifty:

Would a team who made a deal with the devil really have been to the playoffs 4 of the past 5 seasons though?

Unless the Ravens' deal was voided in favor of the Giants' deal, which is entirely plausible.

You've said a lot of stupid NFL related stuff but this one is right up there. Me wanting a 18 game season somehow means I am not a football fan?

You are the king of saying stupid Anything-related things. So you really have no write to talk.

And yes, that's exactly what it means.

18 games is good for the owners, it is bad for the players and fans of competitive football.

You're forgetting the reason for the extra games is essentially "SHOW ME THE MOOOOOOOONNNNNEEEEYYYYY!"

Everyone other than sahyder understands that adding two games on the back end of the schedule would be basically the same as forcing the average fan to watch two meaningless preseason games disguised as regular season games for most of the teams right?

Yep.

A team that has clinched a playoff berth by Week 17 is going to shut it down unless they can improve their playoff position. A team that is out of it by Week 17 is going to shut it down and the few teams battling for playoff spots will lose players to injury before the playoffs begins. Adding 160 players to the league means we're watering down the product even more during those final weeks of the season. What they're proposing is similar to MLB's expanded roster in September. Teams that are out of it will give new players who weren't good enough to be on the team all year a chance to play. Ask a fan of a team that was mathematically eliminated by Week 14 or 15 if they really want to watch 2 more weeks of games.

All it's going to take is for a star player like Manning or Brady to get hurt late in the season during a playoff run or miss an entire 18-game season before people begin to bitch and moan about it and force the NFL to change the rules even more to prevent injury.

If you want to add meaningful games to the NFL schedule all they need to do is add another 2 or 4 total playoff teams. That way you add an extra week of the postseason, but you're not forcing the entire league to go through the motions for 3 extra weeks (2 weeks of games plus a potential 2nd bye week) to pack in maybe 5 or 6 games that matter to the end result of the regular season.

This is a great idea.

What people forget when they clamor for 18 games is that not every team can sell out 8 home games let alone 9. At least if you add extra playoff games you're pretty much guaranteeing they will involve teams who will not only sell out their stadiums but will be teams people want to watch on tv.

No one wants to watch Cardinals/Browns in Week 17 let alone in Week 19.

Edited by Evil Chase K

Would a team who made a deal with the devil really have been to the playoffs 4 of the past 5 seasons though?

Unless the Ravens' deal was voided in favor of the Giants' deal, which is entirely plausible.

Joe Flaccid losing to the Steelers every other year in the playoffs is part of Pittsburgh's deal, which obviously predates all of the other ones :P

On another note, former "lock # 1 overall pick" Jake Locker is going to be a colossal failure as a pro. The dude only completed 54% of his passes in college while playing in the Pac-10, a conference that isn't necessarily known for stout defenses. QBs with no accuracy simply don't succeed at the next level.

By all means Meacon, list everything, it's the NFL offseason thread and it's here for us to discuss this sort of thing.

I think you're just trying to make yourself feel better about the Lions, but ok. <_<

Defensive Line:

Elvis Dumerville's injury last year basically crippled us as a defense last year. He plays the defensive end/linebacker hybrid position so I'll mention him in the other section too. But what we missed last year was a pass rusher. We finished near the bottom (if not dead last, I honestly can't remember) in sacks last year. Just watching our games, we couldn't get any penetration in the backfield and it felt like anytime a team ran the football, they were never even met at the line of scrimmage with one of our defenders, let alone hit in the backfield. We need someone who can not online beat an offensive lineman off the ball, but we need someone with the strength, agility, and determination to bust through and bust some ass. This past season (and really, the last few years) we've looked more lethargic on the defensive line than any other team I can remember watching. Even two years ago when we had Mike Nolan's defensive schemes, we still just didn't possess any playmakers on the line to create any mismatches. Our defensive schemes hardly ever called blitz which meant our line had to go it alone. And when you can't break through with three or four man rushers, you give the opposing quarterback to sit on his butt, scratch himself, then find the open man. It all starts with our defensive line, and I'm drooling at the mouth that we have a chance to get Bowers or Fairley in April.

Linebackers:

A couple years ago, we took Robert Ayers in the first round and I was ecstatic. Ayers was going to be the linebacker that busted chops and forced offenses to gameplan against. Well, fast forward back to present time and that just hasn't developed. Granted, it's been two injury-plagued seasons for him, but he has yet to show any little flash of what his potential was. DJ Williams is an another former first round pick of ours, but one that panned out and did wonderfully. But he's been arrested more than a couple times for DUI and is facing possible suspension. They guy is a former Miami University player, so I'm just going to leave it at that, as opposed to go into much more detail about how law-abiding he is. Dumerville coming back is going to be a huge help, but over on the other side, I'd love for us to find someone quick and that can cover in the mid-rounds this year. Someone fast enough to get in there and hit the quarterback on blitzes, but someone who can drop back and help in coverage when Elvis is sent in. Maybe I'm underestimating Ayers and he'll step up and deliver once our linebacking core is more healthy, but I'm not as hopeful as I once was.

Defensive Backs:

Champ Bailey has not found the Fountain of Youth. Opposing quarterbacks are still hesitant to throw his way, but for how much longer? He's already said that if Denver wants to keep him around, he's going to be moved to Safety. Champ will be 33 by the time the new season starts and Brian Dawkins is going to be 38. We need quite the youth movement back there. It should be interesting to see if Elway and Fox go defensive backs with our pick in the Second Round (and really, the third round) because that's one place I think would be perfect to build up now while Champ and Brian can mentor them.

Guys stop it. We live in a world where the Pittsburgh Steelers aren't champions. Let's celebrate that fact.

:lmao:I love getting a glimpse into the psyches of desperate Ravens fans.

Seriously though, Baltimore tried getting tougher to compete with the Steelers, while the Steelers got faster and more explosive. I think that's where I'd go if I was Baltimore. Boldin is nice, without Fitzgerald on the other side he's merely a nice piece.

Another QB wouldn't hurt either.

And you can keep trolling just like Chase does.

<_<

------

As far as the Steelers go I really only see three major needs this off-season.

1.) Cornerback

Only a desperate need if Ike Taylor walks in Free Agency. But if I guy like Brandon Harris is there at 1.31 he has to be the pick.

2.) Guard

Chris Kemoeatu has to go. Ramon Foster can be a good guard in the league with a few more years of work. Max Starks is a proven starting LT in the league. Pouncey is going to be great for years to come. Right Tackle is a position that the Steelers need to upgrade if Flozell Adams doesn't come back, but it isn't as easy for the Steelers to upgrade RT as it is LG.

3.) Defensive Line Depth

Aaron Smith was the best 34 DE in the NFL from the moment he became a starter. But with his inability to stay healthy it makes more sense to let Ziggy Hood be the starter and let AA be a wave player where he can contribute on 15-20 snaps or so a game.

4.) Linebacker

If Woodley leaves (which I don't see happening) then the Steelers have to go out and find a legitimate pass rusher to replace him. If Woodley returns, the Steelers still need to find an OLB to replace Harrison when he retires in 2013. If that player is Jason Worilds, great. If not, they better find him soon. Inside linebacker is a mess. Lawrence Timmons is solid, but you don't know when the wheels will fall off James Farrior. Behind them you have a decent Larry Foote and awful Keyaron Fox who should've been cut immediately after SBXLV ended.

See, this is where you're wrong. It was a trick the whole time. Ray Lewis is the devil:

Ray-Lews-220x124.png

By all means Meacon, list everything, it's the NFL offseason thread and it's here for us to discuss this sort of thing.

I think you're just trying to make yourself feel better about the Lions, but ok. <_<

Defensive Line:

Elvis Dumerville's injury last year basically crippled us as a defense last year. He plays the defensive end/linebacker hybrid position so I'll mention him in the other section too. But what we missed last year was a pass rusher. We finished near the bottom (if not dead last, I honestly can't remember) in sacks last year. Just watching our games, we couldn't get any penetration in the backfield and it felt like anytime a team ran the football, they were never even met at the line of scrimmage with one of our defenders, let alone hit in the backfield. We need someone who can not online beat an offensive lineman off the ball, but we need someone with the strength, agility, and determination to bust through and bust some ass. This past season (and really, the last few years) we've looked more lethargic on the defensive line than any other team I can remember watching. Even two years ago when we had Mike Nolan's defensive schemes, we still just didn't possess any playmakers on the line to create any mismatches. Our defensive schemes hardly ever called blitz which meant our line had to go it alone. And when you can't break through with three or four man rushers, you give the opposing quarterback to sit on his butt, scratch himself, then find the open man. It all starts with our defensive line, and I'm drooling at the mouth that we have a chance to get Bowers or Fairley in April.

Linebackers:

A couple years ago, we took Robert Ayers in the first round and I was ecstatic. Ayers was going to be the linebacker that busted chops and forced offenses to gameplan against. Well, fast forward back to present time and that just hasn't developed. Granted, it's been two injury-plagued seasons for him, but he has yet to show any little flash of what his potential was. DJ Williams is an another former first round pick of ours, but one that panned out and did wonderfully. But he's been arrested more than a couple times for DUI and is facing possible suspension. They guy is a former Miami University player, so I'm just going to leave it at that, as opposed to go into much more detail about how law-abiding he is. Dumerville coming back is going to be a huge help, but over on the other side, I'd love for us to find someone quick and that can cover in the mid-rounds this year. Someone fast enough to get in there and hit the quarterback on blitzes, but someone who can drop back and help in coverage when Elvis is sent in. Maybe I'm underestimating Ayers and he'll step up and deliver once our linebacking core is more healthy, but I'm not as hopeful as I once was.

Defensive Backs:

Champ Bailey has not found the Fountain of Youth. Opposing quarterbacks are still hesitant to throw his way, but for how much longer? He's already said that if Denver wants to keep him around, he's going to be moved to Safety. Champ will be 33 by the time the new season starts and Brian Dawkins is going to be 38. We need quite the youth movement back there. It should be interesting to see if Elway and Fox go defensive backs with our pick in the Second Round (and really, the third round) because that's one place I think would be perfect to build up now while Champ and Brian can mentor them.

Hey...I feel just fine about the Lions, we're out of the cellar and I think Mayhew has the team going in the right direction. The stench of Millen is finally washing away it seems, granted 6-10 isn't anything to be proud of, but finishing on a four game win streak should help the psyche of this team. And we got Suh (how do you do?).

Report: Albert Haynesworth accused of sexual assault

By Cindy Boren

A waitress in Washington, D.C., has accused Redskins defensive lineman Albert Haynesworth of sexual assault at the W Hotel, according to a WRC Channel 4 report.

Police and the U.S. Attorney's Office, according to the report, are investigating the incident, which allegedly occurred last weekend, and Chad Speck, Haynesworth's agent said in a statement to Channel 4:

"There seems to be no truth to these allegations. We are currently evaluating facts and considering our own legal action against those involved."

On Saturday, Haynesworth was charged with assault related to a Feb. 2 road rage incident and released.

Link

Hardly the last off the field issue with NFL players I am expecting this offseason. There are a few stories every year and with the extra time these guys are going to have on hand with a lockout I wouldn't be surprised if we got a lot more.