2011 NFL Offseason Thread

sahyder1

Matt Ryan couldn't beat an injury depleted 6 seed in a weather controlled environment where he'd rarely lost before. I wouldn't trust him to do any better in the Meadowlands.

Eli Manning couldn't beat a 9-6-1 Eagles team at home where he'd rarely lost before. And get out of here with the "injury depleted 6 seed" stuff. Are we just going to ignore the Packers won the Super Bowl or something?

Romo finally picked up Dallas' first playoff win in over a decade in spite of playing with tons of guys who are considered top players at their respective positions.

What, you mean on offense? Like who? His offensive line are full of bums outside of Free. Miles Austin is the only person on that offense currently considered top ten in his position and he won in the playoffs the year he got him. The only other guy I can think of is Owens, who had clearly declined in 2008. Fair enough about Flacco and Schaub, but 1. I don't consider them better than Manning (for now) anyway and 2. they both do, however, have arguments over Manning. Again, I'll say it again. My problem with Manning is that he really hasn't progressed as much as other guys have since entering the league. I don't think it's ridiculous to think that he'll just stick where he is while guys like Flacco, Ryan, Schaub, Freeman, Bradford, etc. surpass him in the future. Happened to Hasselbeck.

The younger Manning is not great, but he's thrown for over 4,000 yards in consecutive seasons with essentially a stud slot receiver, and a group of young talented guys with severe cases of the dropsies. If Manningham and Nicks ever cut down on the number of deflected INTs, he could easily throw for 4,500 yards and 30+ TDs while keeping his INT total below 16 in a stadium where no one has EVER put up those kind of numbers, and yes I'm counting both versions of the Meadowlands.

Alright, now trust me, this definitely isn't anything against Manning but I doubt he could just "easily" put up 4500 yards and 30+ touchdowns. Nobody can just easily put up those numbers for that matter. He's never came close to 4500 yards and only has thrown for 30+ touchdowns once. It's not that easy.

Again, your premise was that Eli Manning was the definition of a QB that's not good enough to lead your team to success, but then you want to reference guys who have done less with more as superior QBs and I completely disagree with that. Before that douchebag Plax shot himself the Giants were 11-1 and favored to repeat as champs, but then Eli lost the one guy he had 100% confidence in and the team hasn't fully recovered from it because #1 WRs aren't available very often. If you take away any QB not named Brady's top receiver, I'd like to see them continue to put up the same numbers they did before.

Manning has had Smith and Nicks the past two seasons. Do you not consider them good receivers? I'd definitely take Nicks in a heartbeat. I'll agree with you that Burress and his stupidity hurt him in '08 but it isn't like he was putting up all-out Pro Bowl #s beforehand. And I'm sure Manning is probably capable of leading his team to success given the right surrounding cast and defense. I mean, Cutler's capable of leading his team to success as well seen by this previous season. I'm just not sure if he, or Cutler for that matter, will get much better than they are right now while other guys continue to improve. That's been my point all along. I don't think Manning is a bad player or anything. Just really hasn't improved all that much.

The younger Manning is not great, but he's thrown for over 4,000 yards in consecutive seasons with essentially a stud slot receiver, and a group of young talented guys with severe cases of the dropsies. If Manningham and Nicks ever cut down on the number of deflected INTs, he could easily throw for 4,500 yards and 30+ TDs while keeping his INT total below 16 in a stadium where no one has EVER put up those kind of numbers, and yes I'm counting both versions of the Meadowlands.

Alright, now trust me, this definitely isn't anything against Manning but I doubt he could just "easily" put up 4500 yards and 30+ touchdowns. Nobody can just easily put up those numbers for that matter. He's never came close to 4500 yards and only has thrown for 30+ touchdowns once. It's not that easy.

Again, your premise was that Eli Manning was the definition of a QB that's not good enough to lead your team to success, but then you want to reference guys who have done less with more as superior QBs and I completely disagree with that. Before that douchebag Plax shot himself the Giants were 11-1 and favored to repeat as champs, but then Eli lost the one guy he had 100% confidence in and the team hasn't fully recovered from it because #1 WRs aren't available very often. If you take away any QB not named Brady's top receiver, I'd like to see them continue to put up the same numbers they did before.

Manning has had Smith and Nicks the past two seasons. Do you not consider them good receivers? I'd definitely take Nicks in a heartbeat. I'll agree with you that Burress and his stupidity hurt him in '08 but it isn't like he was putting up all-out Pro Bowl #s beforehand. And I'm sure Manning is probably capable of leading his team to success given the right surrounding cast and defense. I mean, Cutler's capable of leading his team to success as well seen by this previous season. I'm just not sure if he, or Cutler for that matter, will get much better than they are right now while other guys continue to improve. That's been my point all along. I don't think Manning is a bad player or anything. Just really hasn't improved all that much.

2010 - 4,002 yds, 31 TD/25 INT

2009 - 4,031 yds, 27 TD/14 INT

The Giants last year dropped a handful of gimme TDs and routinely turned offensive points into turnovers. After watching every Giants play last season I can tell you that the Giants receivers were responsible for at least 8-10 of Eli's picks. If they catch even half of those passes Eli ends up with about 20 picks and another 100-150 yards. There were plays that should have resulted in 70+ yard TDs that were flat out dropped. Maybe the benchmarks I listed are not "easily" achievable but if he's averaged 4,015 yards and 29 TDs the last two years with all of the problems, it's not out of the realm of possibility that he could drastically surpass those numbers if the receivers stepped up a little bit and made the simple plays they haven't been making the last 2 years.

I said that Smith was a stud slot receiver, but now he may not be as good as he once was due to injury. Nicks is my favorite player on the team and one the cusp of being a # 1 WR, but he's also recovering from an injury and is only entering his 3rd season in the league. If these guys, Manningham and Boss play up to their potential that's a solid receiving corps and I'd sign up right now for 4,000 yards and 25+ TDs from my QB regardless of who he is/where he plays. My final note is that if you look at Eli's first 3 full seasons and his last three full seasons he's improved his completion percentage from ~55 to over 61%, added ~333 yards & 3 TD's per year and cut down his picks by 2 per year. That may not be much of an improvement, but he has gotten better and there's even more potential for improvement if he doesn't try to jam passes into double/triple coverage.

I'm so happy the lockout is over and we can go back to pages of pointless discussion about the intagibles of Quarterback play.

Also according to ESPN insider Nnamdi will very likely be going to the Jets as they're restructuring deals left and right, while the Cowboys just re-signed Marcus Spears. Yeah, that's a great choice. <_<

• Like 1

The Jets will now have the GREATEST DEFENSIVE TEAM/CORNERBACK TANDEM OF ALL TIME~! Their downfall will be not having a back up QB, a 2nd string RB, a # 2 WR, any semblance of a non blitzing pass rush, a return game once Brad Smith is gone or depth at non CB positions. In short, I'm happy that he chose the Jets since it would have been nightmarish to have him on the Cowboys. Just looking out for my guy Eli, who already throws too many picks :shifty:

Edited by naiwf

The Jets will now have the GREATEST DEFENSIVE TEAM/CORNERBACK TANDEM OF ALL TIME~! Their downfall will be not having a back up QB, a 2nd string RB, a # 2 WR, any semblance of a non blitzing pass rush, a return game once Brad Smith is gone or depth at non CB positions. In short, I'm happy that he chose the Jets since it would have been nightmarish to have him on the Cowboys. Just looking out for my guy Eli, who already throws too many picks :shifty:

I thought Brad Smith already signed with the Bills?

I don't see why you're shitting on the Jets for trying to sign one of the best cornerbacks in the league. Don't they still have Greene and LT? So that would be a 2nd string RB either way you look at it. I think you ar ekind of just letting your hatred for the jets get in the way of this >_>

And if they also manage to bring in a motivated Randy Moss, watch out.

I'm not sure anyone would have any hope for Moss after last year. Bellichek didn't want anything to do with him anymore. The Vikings dropped him like a bad habit and he was useless in Tennessee.

where does Asomugha to the Jets leave Cromartie?

Edited by mystikz

How's he gonna pay that child support now?

Still rumors of a mystery team in the Nnamdi talks, could see this ending like the Cliff Lee sweepstakes. Jets won't make themselves a better team with this signing. Scoring on them will be hard and they will win probably 6-7 games based on field position and 3 and outs alone (the 2000 Ravens won 12 games through this method en route to the Super Bowl), but they don't have the depth that those teams who have won on the shoulders of an elite defense did. If they find a way to bring in Moss and motivate him, then they'll be in the running for the division title. Otherwise I think we're looking at 9-7 or 10-6 with half their games being like 9-7 or 12-3.

Jets out the Nnamdi race it seems.

Right Mike, time to go get Braylon (:wub:) back, Cromartie too I guess.

EDIT:

Nnamdi is off to the Eagles according to Jay Glazer and Schefter on Twitter

Edited by Cadj

One of them will be gone more than likely. That's too much money to be locked up in a position that generally only starts 2.

Yes. And the rumors are all ready coming that Asante is on his way to the Jets. According to one of the radio stations.

Nnamdi Asomugha signs with The Philadelphia Eagles!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Yessssssssssssssss!! I love this move so so so much. We now have 3 fantastic corners.

Fuck yes!!! If the defense backfield is Asante, DRC and Nmadi then we will have the sickest pass defense in the league

God it is time to bust out the Cliff Lee dance all over again. ^_^

We just have to appease Jackson and sign a linebacker plus Young and I will be very very content. Whether Samuels goes or not the Eagles have one of the better secondaries in the league.

Edited by rocksta