The MST3K Thread

Josh

4 hours ago, Skummy said:

it's slightly worrying how many of the movies they're doing this season I've already seen.

Have you considered you may also be subject to an MST3K style experiment?

• Haha 2

Trace and Frank dressed up as Dr Forrester and TV's Frank for their Halloween livestream of The Mads Are Back.

And the guy who produces their streams dressed up as Jonah because apparently him getting confused for Jonah Ray is a thing that happens sometimes?

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

The Mask is really good. Verging on best of the season.  We didn't have 3D glasses so we watched the 2D version but from what I've seen online the 3D segments worked really well. I loved the costumes that Jonah and the Bots wore for most of the show (Servo's is particularly great). Patton and Rebecca Hanson have a great sketch. (Strangely little Felicia Day in this one for some reason though)

The movie itself is quite good. It actually looks great b and bits that are supposed to be in 3D are really well done. It's probably just a tad light on plot in favour of doing gimmicky 3D bits (even if they do look kinda cool). 

The only real issue (and they have apparently noted this and are fixing it) is that the sound mixing was a bit so the movie as it is now is a little lower than the riffing. This should be fixed by the time it's available for download.

• 3 weeks later...

I only got to watch this last night (thanks COVID). This one they'd hyped up as this seasons "Manos" and I can kinda get why Joel and co drew comparisons. Sure, it's a movie with an actual budget and professional actors - but I'm not sure I've ever seen a film where so little happens. The characters do the same things over and over and over, it's just so repetitive! And this is an edited version the original cut of the film is 2hrs long! It was also shot in 3D and unlike The Mask where the 3D stuff actually looked cool this was just awkward and nonsensical.

The episode was alright. I don't think the Joel episodes are near my favorites of the season (which makes sense, I've never been as drawn to Joel episodes generally).  There was a lot of set up for the season finale/Christmas episode in this one.

Turkey Day is in full swing. Im at work but I checked in for a few mins before I head home. The episodes are "surgically enhanced" (ie. They have upscales them to 1080p and they've improved the audio).

Just watched a bit of Catalina Caper and it looked great and I heard riffs I feel like I had missed before.

I definitely noted that when watching the enhanced Pumaman they did.

• 4 weeks later...

I've only gotten about halfway through The Christmas Dragon because we started on it quite late last night.

We've been watching the Live Event replay and it's fun (they've mixed in live audience reactions from the premiere screening to the show which is an interesting experiment).

What I came in to say is that prior to starting the episode Joel announced that there will be a Season 14 and that they will be releasing more information about it in the new year. I assume there'll be some kind of kickstarter for it.

Finished The Christmas Dragon. Probably one of the best of the series. The multiple hosts riff thing was really fun.

Spoilers for how the whole season ends

Spoiler

The season ended with the Kingadome destroyed and Joel, Emily, Jonah and Pearl heading for Earth in 1991. So ive no idea what that means for season 14.

Much like the end of The Gauntlet it kinda feels like a tease for getting at least a token appearance of Dr Forrester and TVs Frank (and dare I even suggest Mike who was name dropped in the finale). Thats total speculation obviously.

Although I am left wondering if this might be the last we see of Kinga and Max?

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

The Rifftrax feature shown in the livestream was

Spoiler

The Gumby Movie.

Gumby isnt really a thing here and my only exposure to the character was the Robot Rumpus short. That was a weird movie. It's like it could've made sense but they actively chose to make it a big weird mess.

They also live riffed a short about office safety from the US navy.

The whole thing is free on the Gizmoplex

• 6 months later...

Joel et al are crowdsourcing funding for a new season plus more "surgically enhanced" old episodes

I'll probably chip into this one for the first time since the original Kickstarter. I like the Gizmoplex, and really enjoy the live streams. Season 13 had some great episodes IMO and I'd like to see Emily and Co get more stuff to do.

I'll probably just do the digital bundle this year after getting physical rewards last time (and only getting a bunch of them last month). Ironically I finally have a jacket that I'd probably shell out to get the mission patches for but it doesn't seem like they're doing that this time.

• Like 1

I'll probably do the same.

They're at a over 500,000 in less than 24hrs. I read last night that the last kickstarter hit 800k in 24hrs. Wouldnt be surprised if it does the same.

I was hoping theyd be able to do more watch a long stream for this campaign. But I can't imagine any of the cast can really do anything to help promote it at the moment.

Ive seen a few grumbling "i thought the Gizmoplex was supposed to be self sustaining" comments. Although I was amazed at some of the reasonable responses on reddit to a thread on kickstarter weariness.

It would be a bit optimistic to think the streaming service that was launched (in an ostensibly beta format) a little over a year ago would be self sufficient by now.

I probably won't donate this time - I was happy to support for the last season, but never even ended up watching the whole thing. I'm glad to have my rewards, and have got a lot of wear out of the T-shirt already, but by the time they arrived I'd basically forgotten about them anyway. 

I'm kind of at the point now where I'm glad that MST3K can still exist, but it would take something special for me to go out of my way to start watching it again. 

• Like 1

The Gizmoplex was absolutely never going to be self-sustaining, once I got an actual sense of the thing that much was pretty clear. There are too many places to get most of MST3K for most people to make their main hub for it that place, it's basically just a useful, stylish-ish means to an end.

They're in a weird spot because of the actors' strike and the fact that they don't seem to have everyone (anyone?) confirmed for the cast of season 14. A lot of the promotional heavy lifting for the last campaign was done by the cast doing all those livestreams.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GoGo Yubari said:

The Gizmoplex was absolutely never going to be self-sustaining, once I got an actual sense of the thing that much was pretty clear. There are too many places to get most of MST3K for most people to make their main hub for it that place, it's basically just a useful, stylish-ish means to an end.

They're in a weird spot because of the actors' strike and the fact that they don't seem to have everyone (anyone?) confirmed for the cast of season 14. A lot of the promotional heavy lifting for the last campaign was done by the cast doing all those livestreams.

I wonder if the focus on enhanced episodes might be that theyre hoping to load the Gizmoplex up with these higher quality episodes to give it some kind of extra allure.

Its cool as a concept but the virtual theatre is almost a bit too clunky.

Ive taken it that they've probably got the cast but they can't say anything because of the strike. Id be shocked if Jonah, Hampton and Baron didn't come back. Espcially Jonah who was directing, writing, and hosting last season. I'd say it'll be nailed on that Emily, Conor and Kelsey are back.

Although I wouldn't be shocked if Felicia and Patton didnt come back based on how the season ended.

Felt a bit like they were gearing up for Pearl to be the main mad again. I'd kinda like to see her, Synthia and Mega Sythia get to do more together regardless. They were doing the monthly shorts as Pearl/Synthia/Mega Synthia's selects and they were great. Particularly Yvonne Freese as Mega Synthia.